Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Buy Starfury now

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Malfador Machinations; Space Empires: Starfury

It's available, per this press release:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Cary, NC, 02 October 2003</b>
<br>
<br>
The highly anticipated action RPG Space Empires: Starfury, developed by Malfador Machinations and published by Shrapnel Games, will begin shipping tomorrow, Friday, October 3rd. Those that took advantage of the pre-order special will be the first to receive their copies, with regular orders following. Due to the massively overwhelming pre-order response it is highly likely that getting the pre-orders out the door will take until next Thursday, the 9th of October. Hopefully though it won't take that long, as the Shrapnel Shipping Raiders will be working tirelessly to get this amazing game out to you. We apologize for any inconvenience the delay may cause.
<br>
<br>
Space Empires: Starfury is the next installment in the best selling Space Empires series. This time the action is up close and personal as players command a starship on an action packed quest of their own making! With a dynamic universe to freely explore, intense tactical combat, and the ability to completely customize your vessel, Space Empires: Starfury is a science fiction fan's delight. Whether you're a longtime fan of Space Empires, or simply someone who enjoys romping around the galaxy, you'll find Space Empires: Starfury to be one hell of a ride across the stars.
<br>
<br>
If you'd like to delve deeper into this title please visit <a href="http://www.shrapnelgames.com/malfador/Starfury/1.htm">http://www.shrapnelgames.com/malfador/Starfury/1.htm</a> for all the latest information. You can even order your copy directly from the page!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I know I'm picking it up this week. Anyone else? If you're not sure, <a href="http://www.shrapnelgames.com/malfador/Starfury/6.htm">suck down the demo</a>. It's only <b>16MB</b>!
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Hmm.

Admitedly my computers along the years have always given me all kinds of crazy problems, and today is no different. I'm trying to play the Starfury demo, and im having this graphical problem.

When i click on New Game, i'm given the mission selection, and the ship. Here, everything fine. When i click on the ship to select it so i can get to type a name for it, all the letters disappear :shock: meaning i have the interface all normal, but letters as well as some graphics disappear. But if i do a Refresh, the second it takes to refresh the screen fizzles and it that second alone, it shows me the missing things, then it disappears again.

Anyone else having similar problems?

And incidentally Saint, between Starfury and Escape Velocity, which would you think is the better purchase?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, that's a tough call. Both games are very, very similar.

Starfury is more like SFC in terms of combat, whereas EV:Nova is more like subspace. Though, Starfury lacks the amount of tactical options you'll find in SFC, it's still got that basic feel.

Unlike Nova though, Starfury does have a character advancement system in it. You can improve your piloting ability, gunnery ability, and so forth after each level up. There's a negotiation skill, but that just seems to affect prices for contracts and equipment.

Both games allow modding.

Ibbz

Augur
There's a negotiation skill, but that just seems to affect prices for contracts and equipment.
Its disappointing they didnt do more with it.

Is there way to do ship to ship communication? There didnt seem to be in the demo.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Starfury's graphics are reasonably attractive and help with the immersion but (at this early stage in the demo), EV Nova seems to have a little more "personality". Still, I think I'll order it.

Chadeo

Liturgist
My initial impression from the demo was not very good.

I guess I am just a bit burned out by all of the Wing Commander/Privateer games.

Start with a ship, find random mission, get money, get bigger stuff to put on your ship, get more missions, get more money, etc. Oh and there are always these pirates all over the place, along with all of these merchants, and some random alien race that is all aggressive and bad. It just all feels so cliche and worn out.

I have yet to see a single thing that makes me think this game will have any elements to it that would allow me to call it a role playing game. I will try to look a bit more later, but for now I remain deeply skeptical.

Sci-fi is far and away my favorite genre, but it is always done so poorly that I almost never buy any games in it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chadeo said:
My initial impression from the demo was not very good.

I guess I am just a bit burned out by all of the Wing Commander/Privateer games.

Oddly enough, I can't get enough of open ended space traders.

Start with a ship, find random mission, get money, get bigger stuff to put on your ship, get more missions, get more money, etc. Oh and there are always these pirates all over the place, along with all of these merchants, and some random alien race that is all aggressive and bad. It just all feels so cliche and worn out.

I'm hoping there's a little more to it, and the missions are more interesting. The demo is fairly flat on a lot of things, including what you can buy.

I have yet to see a single thing that makes me think this game will have any elements to it that would allow me to call it a role playing game. I will try to look a bit more later, but for now I remain deeply skeptical.

It really all depends on the missions that you can get. Personally, I think the game really needs ship to ship communications, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom