Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay sold

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Herve Caen; Interplay

Our beloved <a href=http:/www.interplay.com>Interplay</a> has just changed hands. According to a recent <A href=http://smartmoney.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?FilingID=5826123&Type=HTML>SEC filing</a>, 56% of the shares of Herve Caen's Titus Interactive, which owns the majority of shares of Interplay, have been sold to a mysterious entity known as Financial Planning and Development S.A., which is not even googlable.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>On March 21, 2008 the Chief Executive Officer and Interim Chief Financial Officer, Herve Caen, received a letter providing written notice of there having been a change in control of the registrant. According to such letter, Financial Planning and Development S.A., a Luxembourg company ("FPD"), acquired the holding of approximately 58 million shares of common stock of the registrant, representing approximately 56% of the outstanding shares of capital stock of the registrant, previously held by Titus Interactive S.A. (in bankruptcy) ("Titus") on April 30, 2007 in a private sale by the bankruptcy trustee of Titus. The amount of the consideration paid for such holding by FPD is not known to the registrant. The source of the funds used for the acquisition is not known to the registrant. There were and are no arrangements or understandings with respect to election of directors or other matters of the registrant, known to the registrant. There are no arrangements, known to the registrant, including any pledge by any person of securities of the registrant or any parent, the operation of which may at a subsequent date result in a change in control of the registrant. </blockquote>It is not known yet whether Herve will remain as CEO and what it means for Fallout Online or any other projects, mostly because Herve himself claims not to know, even though he was the last known bankruptcy trustee of Titus.
<br>
<br>
Cheers, <a href=http://fallout3.wordpress.com/>Briosafreak</a>!

DemonKing

Arcane
Ausir said:
56% of the shares of Herve Caen's Titus Interactive, which owns the majority of shares of Interplay, have been sold to a mysterious entity known as Financial Planning and Development S.A., which is not even googlable.

No mystery - that's me.

The candy machine where I work just gave me $1.60 change in 20c pieces, and being a bit annoyed by the bulges in my wallet, I contacted Herve and bought the company on a whim.

Our company's next project will be TOOL.

TOrn On Line.

I won't even have to by the rights to the License back on that one!

tunguska

Liturgist
I wonder if the new owners get to keep the refrigerator box. I am guessing that whoever or whatever they are, one thing they are not is RPG fans. Could it be some sort of money laundering scheme?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Whatever Financial Planning and Development S.A are planning to do with the corpse of Interplay, I have a feeling developing games is not it. Tax dodge, money laundering, there are plenty of possibilities.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm fairly sure Financial Planning and Development S.A = Herve Caen

Can't really know, but it seems likely

Anyway, real news should hit in a couple of days, if they're still planning to file their quarterly for SEC on time

Lumpy

Arcane
But even a money laundering operation has a chance of churning out better games.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Spectacle said:
Whatever Financial Planning and Development S.A are planning to do with the corpse of Interplay, I have a feeling developing games is not it. Tax dodge, money laundering, there are plenty of possibilities.

Eh.. can someone please explain this? I know close to nothing about buying or selling shares, how exactly will they use Interplay for tax evasion and/or money laundering?

Anclhaira

Novice
pmmv7.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Crolug said:
Holy cow, I haven't seen BN so pissed off so far... :shock:

Yeah, well, rarely have I been faced with such a relentless stream of stupidity as that of this little miscarriage, nor the inexcusable ineptitude of letting a 4chan troll slowly kill this site off.

But apropos. Back on topic.

Brother None said:
Yeah, well, rarely have I been faced with such a relentless stream of stupidity as that of this little miscarriage, nor the inexcusable ineptitude of letting a 4chan troll slowly kill this site off.
Oh, please. Off all the the death-prophecies made about this site, this has to be the weakest. Andhaira is the least of the codex' concerns.

Edit:
Haha, and you also owned yourself on behalf of an asstard.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mighty Mouse said:
He is talking about this:
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Ultima_VII:_The_Black_Gate

Edit: Read the trivia.

Yes, I know what Elizabeth & Abraham refers to, I was asking what that has to do with this. Answer: nothing. EA is not involved in this, this isn't even a conglomerate taking over another company. Hence, his post was idiotic tripe. QED.

DP said:
Off all the the death-prophecies made about this site, this has to be the weakest. Andhaira is the least of the codex' concerns.

Well true, he might be more of a sign of the times than anything else.

But I overstepped my bounds. I'm really not interested in getting involved in the Codex' pathological tendency to discuss its own state. Sorry for that.

DP said:

Huh?

Brother None said:
Well true, he might be more of a sign of the times than anything else.
That I can agree with.

Brother None said:
But I overstepped my bounds. I'm really not interested in getting involved in the Codex' pathological tendency to discuss its own state. Sorry for that.
I'm actually kind of surprised of your fairly recent level of involvement as a codex-regular (you know you are one now, right? :)), given your earlier posting history.

Brother None said:
DP said:
Huh?
Bah, never mind. I thought you didn't get the reference, like me. :oops:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morgoth said:
So, now that Interplay is owned by another obscure company, does that mean Herve may finally go? Does everyone agree that Jason Anderson should be appointed as new CEO?

No. Yes. (though considering the last time Anderson co-ran a company, it might be better if there were a more managerial type in the front office)

If this company is indeed not a proxy of Herve's, they might request he leave.

But right now we don't know if this company is "not Herve"

DP said:
I'm actually kind of surprised of your fairly recent level of involvement as a codex-regular (you know you are one now, right?), given your earlier posting history.

I deny and am offended by these allegations.

Andhaira

Arcane
@Bro No: You ultimate ignorrat, EA is focusingon the rpg market. They already have a large part of it cornered thanks to purchase of Bio, now they want to capture the ONLINE rpg market (fallout online along with Bio's MMORPG) Also, purchase of Interplay gives them the right to the Baldurs Gate liscense name.

Now, stupid. Focus:

Bioware Make Baldurs Gate.
Biggest rpg name of the new millenium

EA wanna xpand into are-pee-gee market!
EA purchase Bioware, makers of teh Baldurs Gate, biggest rpg franchise of the new millenium.

But oh NOES! Oh teh HOrrOr!! Bio don't have rights to baldurs gate liscense nymore! :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lol: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Suddenly, Elizabeth and Abraham get an idea. An inspiration from teh GUARDIAN!

What if they purchased the company that owns the rights to baldurs gate??

*super saver light bulb goes on atop EA's head*

They buy interplay via proxy. Why proxy? Because otherwise Interplay may not have sold since they hate Bio and don't want a BG3!

So no EA owns the BG brand rights. Now they secretly set Bioware to work on it! Bg3 will sell like nobodies business. EA will make buttloads of money.

EA wins AGAIN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom