Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pete Hines chats with Eurogamer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<A href="http://www.eurogamer.net/">Eurogamer</a> has a very brief <A href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133899">interviewlet</a> with <b>Pete Hines</b> of <A href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</A> about <A href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com">Fallout 3</a>. There's a bit more to it than this, like voice acting, but here's the important nugget:
<br>
<blockquote>"When you build it as one thing, there's no way to portion off a section and have it stand on its own without putting the whole game in the demo, which we're just not going to do," said Hines.
<br>
<br>
"And it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls or a Fallout, where you can go where you want and do what you want. So no demo, sorry."</blockquote>
<br>
Umm.. Right. Anyone buy that excuse? Or is it more like, "Well, people will buy the game regardless of what it's like, so NO DEMO!"
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's ironic considering Fallout had a demo in its time and it did not involve going where you want to. I think I know who didn't capture the fun of a Fallout game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They made two demos for Daggerfall back then. Both worked and made me buy the game in the end.

I see no reason why they couldn't release a demo for Fallout 3, other than utter laziness and/or incompetence.

TheLostOne

Savant
They don't want it to get picked apart soon enough to effect sales. Once people get their hands on a working example of the game their criticisms can't just be put off to uninformed fanatic ramblings anymore.

Herbert West

Arbiter
I'll bet people will buy it due to hype alone. Most of those who purchased Oblivion will get FO3, and you know how many there were. They rather see no particular need to craft a demo. Spending cash, effort and time on making a demo is probably seen as not justified in light of the expected sales.

Or, as someone has said here, they know they have a POS on their hands and don't want to dissapoint people , lest they don't buy it, but I doubt it. They're probably as sincerely enthusiastic about it as any average cocksucker journo.

MetalCraze

Arcane
like anyone expected Beth to release a demo of this shit. or?
though the single fact of -no demo- can be used as a new troll material to mess with what's left of f3 fanboys' brains.

TheLostOne

Savant
Herbert West said:
Or, as someone has said here, they know they have a POS on their hands and don't want to dissapoint people , lest they don't buy it, but I doubt it. They're probably as sincerely enthusiastic about it as any average cocksucker journo.

I'm sure they believe they have a good game on their hand. They also believe that the fans are a rabid, angry, vocal minority. They've contained any negative publicity caused by our clamoring thus far, but they probably are afraid that with something concrete to pick apart, gaming media might see some of the cracks in the bloom.

Shair

Novice
Herbert West said:
I'll bet people will buy it due to hype alone. Most of those who purchased Oblivion will get FO3, and you know how many there were. They rather see no particular need to craft a demo. Spending cash, effort and time on making a demo is probably seen as not justified in light of the expected sales.

I think you might be underestimating the power of trial and error. I was one of those who bought oblivion and have no intention of ever buying a Bethesda product again unless FO3 turns out to be the opposite of all my expectations of it, which I very much doubt. And to prove me wrong they do need to release a demo.

Mech

Cipher
skyway said:
though the single fact of -no demo- can be used as a new troll material to mess with what's left of f3 fanboys' brains.

And at the same time you likely wonder why no one outside the existing fan base takes the opinions of fans seriously when people like you exist. :roll:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shair said:
think you might be underestimating the power of trial and error. I was one of those who bought oblivion and have no intention of ever buying a Bethesda product again unless FO3 turns out to be the opposite of all my expectations of it, which I very much doubt. And to prove me wrong they do need to release a demo.
Well, duh. To prove you wrong they'd need to do alot more than just release a demo of Fallout 3. They'd have to make a different game.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Well to be fair, I can't remember the last time I played a demo of a totally open world game like this is probably going to be. I think maybe it was Divine Divinity. And that demo sucked because most of the world was closed. So I kinda can't blame them for this. Has there ever been a demo for GTA or Gothic?

That doesn't excuse the fact that the gaming media is doing a major dicksuck job on this game though. "200 Endings" is the new "Radiant AI".

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mech said:
skyway said:

And at the same time you likely wonder why no one outside the existing fan base takes the opinions of fans seriously when people like you exist. :roll:

yes - guess I'm bad because I'm telling them the truth while they find excuses for everything bad bethesda is doing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
doctor_kaz said:
That doesn't excuse the fact that the gaming media is doing a major dicksuck job on this game though. "200 Endings" is the new "Radiant AI".

And 90% of the previewers and interviewers have no fucking idea at all about just what the fucking hell "permutations" are. And even some of the moderators on the Bethesda forums [and most of the members] don't know enough maths to grasp the reality, either. So, everyone thinks the game has "200 ENDINGS OMG LIEK WE CAN HAEV 200 COMPLETELY DIFFRUNT ENDINGS IN TEH GAEM, LIEK COMPLETELY DIFFRUNT!!!" while it actually might have just about 10 or so, and the other 190 are just because of the effect of sidequests.

I hope people will get disappointed by that because they have no fucking idea of permutations and simple mathematics. Then the stupidity of Bethesda's fanbase would finally be their doom and they will wish they had made a game for intelligent people.

MetalCraze

Arcane
and that's why I bring truth and light to their dark fanboy brains

fanboy at ag.ru in response to these news said:
I don't think that a devteam of such high class can make shit. releasing demo is just impossible because of the big game world

this heretic must be enlightened! [/inquisitor]

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
We must spread the holy word!

Let us show them the holy scriptures: Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape Torment.

bgillisp

Scholar
You know, they did release a Daggerfall demo. The one I played you were stuck on an island, and could not leave the island (as no boats were in the demo), but everything else in the game was there. So why can't they do that for Fallout 3? Maybe make a simliar isloated area by removing the way to leave it for the demo

Of course, right now I'd say I have no intention of playing fallout 3 until it is $9.99 or less (and maybe not even then). So that may be a while for me

Mech

Cipher
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:

yes - guess I'm bad because I'm telling them the truth while they find excuses for everything bad bethesda is doing.

No your not bad, just too ignorant to realize how destructive your attitude is to actually making anyone believe a thing thats comes out of your mouth.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
doctor_kaz said:
Well to be fair, I can't remember the last time I played a demo of a totally open world game like this is probably going to be. I think maybe it was Divine Divinity. And that demo sucked because most of the world was closed. So I kinda can't blame them for this. Has there ever been a demo for GTA or Gothic?
I don't think it's fair at all and I don't get the complaint either. It's not like demos for "non-open world games" don't feel confined. I remember demos for 2D adventures consisting of a few scenes, one puzzle and a dialogue. The Fallout demo was a very small Junktown-based map, but it did contain samples of all major gameplay elements except for travelling.
How is the fact that a demo is limited a problem? Either you like what's in it and want more, or you don't. I mean, if your main complaint about a demo is that it's too limited, you probably want to buy the game?

Also, there were demos for all Gothic games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mech said:
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:

No your not bad, just too ignorant to realize how destructive your attitude is to actually making anyone believe a thing thats comes out of your mouth.

ok so what was destructive about my attitude when I wrote there that the sign of no-demo is a bad sign which usually means that developers are hiding something/lying/etc?
you know me so well - you can tell me.

Mech

Cipher
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:

ok so what was destructive about my attitude when I wrote there that the sign of no-demo is a bad sign which usually means that developers are hiding something/lying/etc?

I know your not that dense, so drop the innocent act. :lol:

Monolith

Prophet
Their PR campaign forced a million dollar's worth of hype down journalist's throats and people are buying it, believing that the fake image they project is what Fallout 3 is going to be. Why destroy that perfect idyll by showing what the game is really like? Besides, it's like Saint said it, people will buy it anyway, demo or not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mech said:
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:
Mech said:
skyway said:

I know your not that dense, so drop the innocent act. :lol:

but I'm trolling them only when I'm sure that they are dumb. like after 10 or 20 "you haven't played the game yet/they still have the time to fix this/name me the game that actually has quests except fed-ex and kill'em all/you must thank bethesda for actually making fallout3" replies

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
They don't have to take a portion of the game and make that the demo. They could just create a small brand new area from scratch showing off gameplay elements. Its not that hard. When there is no demo, one torrents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom