Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pete Hines chats with Eurogamer

Fez

Erudite
I don't see why they can't do the same as was done with Gothic for the demo. It worked well enough for them and was what drew me into it, despite it being another game with large open areas to explore.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
How many people would have bought Oblivion if they could try it first?

Texas Red

Whiner
Guys, we're not looking at the possibilities of demos. Bethesda could give a small portion of FO 3 which would no doubt differ from the image portrayed by the media and disappoint. OR Bethesda could release a completely new small area which would be crammed with quests with several REAL endings, numerous ways to solve, best visuals and artwork(that would be too difficult to implement in a large gameworld), extremely carefully crafter combat encounters etc. They could basically develop this little demo which is generally a lot more quality than the whole game, and lie that its a true representation.

MetalCraze

Arcane
they could but they can't.
because they can't. because they suck at literally everything.
models - outsourced
engine - not their
combat - shitty
design ideas? hahaha!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
skyway said:
they could but they can't.
because they can't. because they suck at literally everything.
models - outsourced
engine - not their
combat - shitty
design ideas? hahaha!

They're not completely talentless though. They can do one thing *perfectly*.

Hype.

TheLostOne

Savant
JarlFrank said:
They're not completely talentless though. They can do one thing *perfectly*.

Hype.

Yeah, but they get sloppy at it closer to release. You can hear how little they're trying these days to step on toes. Fallout 3 has had enough buzz to garauntee decent sales so now they can stop pretending they give a shit.

Lumpy

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
Guys, we're not looking at the possibilities of demos. Bethesda could give a small portion of FO 3 which would no doubt differ from the image portrayed by the media and disappoint. OR Bethesda could release a completely new small area which would be crammed with quests with several REAL endings, numerous ways to solve, best visuals and artwork(that would be too difficult to implement in a large gameworld), extremely carefully crafter combat encounters etc. They could basically develop this little demo which is generally a lot more quality than the whole game, and lie that its a true representation.
You know, they're not making bad games on purpose. A demo crafted to look very good would doubtlessly be very similar to the actual game.
Besides, VD, I'm sure you're wrong. Only a minority bought Oblivion and were disappointed. A demo might not have boosted sales, but it certainly wouldn't have hampered them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lumpy said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
You know, they're not making bad games on purpose. A demo crafted to look very good would doubtlessly be very similar to the actual game.
Besides, VD, I'm sure you're wrong. Only a minority bought Oblivion and were disappointed. A demo might not have boosted sales, but it certainly wouldn't have hampered them.

you are wrong. why? you just forget one simple thing. they would've included only a small area from the game into the demo. and if you remember - in reality fanboys fap to oblivion only because of its big map and a big number of those shitty linear quests. they don't really care about everything else. show them something of a small scale (small map and 4-5 of a totally linear quests) and they most likely won't care about the full game. because they will quickly get bored with the demo = negative impressions = fanboys probably won't buy the full game.
considering that bethesda wishes to make every possible retard on earth happy (read get the money from every possible retard) by dumbing down even dumbed down game - even the single thought of losing another $50 most likely drives them crazy.

Dandelion

Novice
Herbert West said:
I'll bet people will buy it due to hype alone. Most of those who purchased Oblivion will get FO3, and you know how many there were.
Without any doubt...but remember that there was a great amount of people that bought Oblivion thinking that it could have been an improved Morrowind..

Those people (myself included, unfortunately) would die before fall again in their disgusting hype machine..

If I'm not wrong the two months after the Oblivion release I saw the official bethesda forum filled with a huge amount of discussions regarding the very low quality of the game (&roleplaying, above all) and such..

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I can bet there will be many less sales, at least at the release date :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom