Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines - The Love Story

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

If you've ever wanted to know how Pete Hines, marketing dude at Bethesda, got into the business, what he thinks and what he does, <a href="http://www.thegamereviews.com/article-606-Pete-Hines-Director-of-PR-and-Marketing-of-Bethesda-Softworks.html">well now your questions have been answered by thegamereviews.com</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>THE GAME REVIEWS: Those are very rare talents. What would you suggest to somebody who is looking to get into the industry either in PR or marketing?</b>
<br>
<br>
PETE: I think the biggest thing is to know how the system works, and get games. When I am looking through resumes or applications, I look at where they went to school and job experience. I interview many folks who are interested in doing this, and they don’t seem to know much about games. If you really want to do this for a living, then it better be something that you enjoy and take seriously on some level so that you can participate, have knowledge and make an effort at it. If you are going to talk to me, you better know what we publish, what we make and have made an effort to play those or have an understanding of them.
<br>
<br>
There are lots of people trying to get in this industry, so I am looking for somebody who not only has the skills and abilities to do whatever the position is, but also someone who has an understanding of what is going on in the industry. A person interested should know which games are good, and which games are not. I have talked to people and I appreciate finding out which games they like of ours that they have played, and also what they did not like about them. At least it shows me that they get it - if they have valid points, which is better than always agreeing, which drives me crazy.
<br>
<br>
I am not looking for someone to just tell me how great our stuff is. Everyone has an opinion, so I like people to show me that they have some understanding about what makes a game good or what does not. I think that is the biggest thing for me that I have found. Anyone can go to college and get a degree, which is very important. Whatever internships and things that you can do to improve your skill base is important, but you need to have a really good knowledge of the subject matter or you are just wasting time.</blockquote>
<br>
"A person interested should know which games are good, and which games are not" because Pete sure as hell doesn't.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Jason

chasing a bee
I clicked on this thread expecting some hot Pete-on-Todd erotic fanfic but instead get Job Interviewing Tips 101. You let me down, pancake.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
Pete Hines said:
If you are going to talk to me, you better know what we publish, what we make and have made an effort to play those or have an understanding of them.
I suspect the answer he's looking for, though the most obvious, isn't "crap".

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Why was this posted? This seems like an excuse to rip on the guys at Bethesda. Stop trying, and let it come to you.

Shoelip

Arbiter
slipgate_angel said:
Why was this posted? This seems like an excuse to rip on the guys at Bethesda. Stop trying, and let it come to you.

What did you expect?

dragonfk

Erudite
slipgate_angel said:

Dont you know that this site was created and is supervised by fellows working for Bethesda? They thought that it would be safer for them to create website like codex to contain all those who dont like thier games. Thanx to that they've lessend number of posts made by their critics on the web because all those post land here. And who in their right mind comes to read RpgCodex? Codex is a firewall for Bethesda, if criticism comes from some dumbfucks from here then it cannot be valid, can it?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
baby arm said:
I clicked on this thread expecting some hot Pete-on-Todd erotic fanfic but instead get Job Interviewing Tips 101. You let me down, pancake.
Same here.
Wtf DU? Do want to be overthrown like VD? Gief bread and circuses or gtfo. :evil:

larpingdude14

Scholar
1195970568513ij6.jpg

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
THE GAME REVIEWS: Okay. What is your favorite game of all time, one that you have never worked on?

PETE: I could never come up with just one. Probably if I had to pick just one, it would be the original X-Com.
Oh fuck.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
<b>THE GAME REVIEWS: Those are very rare talents. What would you suggest to somebody who is looking to get into the industry either in PR or marketing?</b>

PETE: Become a pathological liar. Lie about your upcoming games to generate sales and hype. Critics will ignore the flaws and by the time everyone figures out that your game sucks, it will be two years too late.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
THE GAME REVIEWS: Okay. What is your favorite game of all time, one that you have never worked on?

PETE: I could never come up with just one. Probably if I had to pick just one, it would be the original X-Com.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Truth

Scholar
On one of my first press trips, we went to Bioware to see Baldur’s Gate when it was still in development. I was picked up in a car with a hole in the floorboard, so we had to push with our feet to back out of the parking space because his reverse gear did not work. Some of the guys had their monitors sitting on cardboard boxes. It was a total startup company.

Interesting anecdote though I have to wonder how much is embellished or true in there.

A person interested should know which games are good, and which games are not. I have talked to people and I appreciate finding out which games they like of ours that they have played, and also what they did not like about them. At least it shows me that they get it - if they have valid points, which is better than always agreeing, which drives me crazy.

Job opportunity for codexers?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
He should hire someone with a man jaw to compensate for his 2 year old girls jaw on a mans face. I'm surprised he's even able to close his mouth without putting his bottom jaw through his brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom