Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3 officially announced

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Blizzard announced Diablo 3 today on a <A HREF="http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/index.xml#movies">new Diablo3-website</A>, complete with a teaser-trailer, a gameplay-trailer, screenshots and artwork.
<br>
<br>
And compared to all the other shitty Diablo-clones we've been getting recently, Diablo 3 actually looks like fun, and it does look good. Not as dark and gloomy as the first two Diablos, but it looks better than I would've imagined Diablo in 3D.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/index.xml#movies">Blizzard Entertainment</A>

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, it certainly looks amazing, especially how all of it looks like hand painted backgrounds. But I really don't get the Diablo feel. Is too damn colorful for being Diablo. It looks like a mix of Diablo and WoW. Diablo is supposed to be dark, gritty, gloomy, at least, IMO.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
Well, it certainly looks amazing, especially how all of it looks like hand painted backgrounds. But I really don't get the Diablo feel. Is too damn colorful for being Diablo. It looks like a mix of Diablo and WoW. Diablo is supposed to be dark, gritty, gloomy, at least, IMO.

I have to agree, it has that bright vibrant feel that Blizzard has taken all their art direction in, kind of reminds me how SC2 looks. Kind of disappointing, however I'll overlook that as long as the gameplay is good. They kept the gore to a Diabloish level, with exploding bodies and all of that, and it seems like a lot of detail has been put into the world, enemies, and spell effects (I liked how the monsters bodies looked after different spells affected them, it was a nice touch).

Wish it was darker, but I'll take a good true Diablo ARPG if it means the gloominess is toned down.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
568 MB for the cinematic trailer? It said it was 90. Fuck that. Someone post screenshots or upload a low res to YouTube.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing that's weird in the game trailer is how all the corpses seem to vanish after a short time. i hope that's just temporary, or you can turn it off in the options. I want the floor littered with corpses.

I must admit the announcement of Starcraft 2 was definitely the better one, in terms of cinematics and style. I am dissapointed by the look of the new Diablo, before they showed it off i had some really dark and gritty setting in mind. Nevertheless i`m sure the game is gonna be a lot of fun in multiplayer. But from the look it isn`t the Diablo i was hoping for.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Vanished One said:
DarkUnderlord said:
568 MB for the cinematic trailer? It said it was 90. Fuck that. Someone post screenshots or upload a low res to YouTube.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/

Use "watch now".
I'd tried that. It wasn't loading. Seems to be working now though. :/ And I hate how they use that "click screenshot, it loads bigger in same screen" rather than allowing me to just open a bunch at once, let them load while I do other stuff and then flick through them faster than opening, loading, closing, repeatedly. On the bright side, at least the entire website hasn't been made in flash.

Apart from technical issues, I think the game looks all right. Seems to be mostly the same enemies from the first two just in 3d? Hopefully you can actually walk around in 3d and it's not just for show. Agree with the comment made about it "could've been grittier / darker". And disappearing corpses? NOOOOOOOO!!!! Why is it that DooM could get that right and you could wade knee deep through your enemies blood but when it comes to modern computers, they feel the need to save the RAM?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Good pic here:

1214657022122wu5.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I doubt they'll stray from the trademark WoW/WC3/SC2 art-style much, but I do think everything is a little bit too bright. Your "right" picture is too drab, everything looks the same colour, but the left one is too colourful, and has too many glowing things.

I'd wish for a middle-ground.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Ah, thats some nice shading there, some fragments look like concept art more than a rendered frame. Very good, that. I have a soft spot for stylised graphics that don't try to look photorealistic but do look good nonetheless.
However yes, it's somewhat like isometric World of Warcraft, and I just can't shake this feeling looking at some screens. Some are good, but others have million billion colours all mixed together, thus creating this jolly candy-world of Diablo III.

There's hope however. I will eat my own hand if there aren't any moders that at this very moment are planning to add some gloomy post-processing effect. It doesn't take John Carmack to change color balance and saturation via a simple shader. And it wouldn't be any trouble at all for Blizz to include a selection of post-processing effects to customize the look.

DiverNB

Liturgist
If I get to hack big ass monsters down, I don't even care anymore.

Suicidal

Arcane
I loved how at the end of the gameplay video the big boss bites off the head of one of the players.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
We'll see if they can make it fun like the first one this time.

JarlFrank said:
And compared to all the other shitty Diablo-clones we've been getting recently [...]

With the exception of Depths of Peril.

Suicidal

Arcane
I wonder how many people will be able to be present in 1 game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom