Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3 officially announced

Black

Arcane
But some talk on Blizz forums might work. Remember: it's Blizz, not bethesda.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I like how there's a petition to make Diablo 3 boring and grey but not a petition to get that retarded double scythe removed from Starcraft 2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Xor said:
They need to add doodads to the dungeons like there were in Diablo 1 and 2. I mean, the pentagrams with bodies staked to them, the defiled altars, the sacrificed goats...that sort of thing. It adds a lot of character to the dungeons, and it's something I didn't see in the gameplay demo. Hopefully that's just because they haven't finished developing the dungeons yet.

Well, Diablo I had a lot more of such things than II, so I don't think they'll add much of these to III. I remember reading somewhere that they had to drop lots of impaled people, pentagrams, goats etc in II, because they had some problems with accusations of propagating satanism with Diablo I.

(And as for Starcraft II, the marines with jetpacks are a damn fucking rip-off from Red Alert 2's rocketeers)

Black

Arcane
Occasionally Fatal said:
kingcomrade said:
I like how there's a petition to make Diablo 3 boring and grey but not a petition to get that retarded double scythe removed from Starcraft 2.

also, why do the marines have shields? they dont have shields in the cutscenes... you know why? because shields and guns dont mix. wtf.
Play moar Counter-Strike.

MisterStone

Arcane
Nevermind whether D3 is "gritty" or not "gritty", "dark" or not "dark", it should at least make use of lighting as a significant gameplay element... that was one of the cool things D1 inherited from roguelike games (you could have items to give you more light, I think... right?), and it made the game fun and often challenging when you could not see outside of your area of light. I think that this is why people see the D1 setting as more immersive/dark/etc. In DII there were a lot of outdoor levels that did not make much use of light, and these were often kind of boooring, IMHO. If this newer one follows the trend in gaming, it will reduce challenging and atmospheric stuff like this in exchange for more eye candy. Lets hope they still appreciate gameplay elements beyond stat and equipment whoring...

DemonKing

Arcane
Q said:
http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

As if internet petitions ever got anywhere...besides I love the new art style and I'm sure a lot of other people do to.

I'm glad they're changing things a bit - I don't want to play a game that looks exactly like one I played 10 years ago in any event.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
also, why do the marines have shields?
Actually, I like the shields. They make sense considering the number of melee creatures marines have to fight. And, really, if you have power armor that lets you hold a big gun steady with one arm, you might as well use the other to add protection. It's another layer of armor.
because shields and guns dont mix.
Yeah swat teams especially don't use shields.

Lurkar

Scholar
Blizzard basically said "We remembered Diablo being colorless and everything was gritty and grey. Then we played it and realized we were wrong."

And they're right. Diablo 2 has plenty of color in plenty of places. People just cling to the "grit."

aboyd

Liturgist
Yeah, 31 does look good. 32 and 33 look worse, actually. It looks like whoever Photoshopped it just applied black liberally, and that doesn't make sense. For example, grass is actually green, so to see the grass looking grey or brown/black in 'shops 32 & 33 is a little weird. Also, the tree in 32 just has a bunch of black painted over it in the "fixed" version, which makes it look like unnatural shadows have just randomly appeared on it.

But 31 is great. I'd like more of that.

Kraszu

Prophet
31 is way to dark you can hardly see on what is going on, blizzard grapchics is easy on the eyes actually.

Kraszu said:
31 is way to dark you can hardly see on what is going on, blizzard grapchics is easy on the eyes actually.
That's why I said pretty good. It is a little hard to see in some parts. They could at least have characters a bit vibrant while still having some dark places.

aboyd

Liturgist
In Diablo 1, there were dark places that were difficult to see. Usually this was just the area outside your torch light. But it DID make for some good jumps. The first time you rounded a corner and saw a pack of poison spitters ambush you, that was pretty shocking and great. The first time a minotaur rushed at you from out of the darkness and stun-locked your character, that was pretty shocking and great. D1 required caution and strategy.

I can't say the same about D2, but I still loved playing D2 with my kids anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom