Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 banned downunder?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/09/fallout-3-refused-classification-in-australia">Joystiq are reporting</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>We didn't think Fallout 3 was close enough to completion for a rating, but the Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification has already refused to classify the title, effectively banning it from sale in the country. The game be resubmitted, with edits, in the hopes it meets the gudelines for MA15+ rating. If Grand Theft Auto IV could do it, we have no doubt that Bethesda will find a way to edit the game for sales in the Land Down Under. So much for the Bloody Mess perk.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/07/its_official_fallout_3_refused_classification_in_australia.html">While Kotaku are saying</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Yes, the rumour was true. The Office of Film and Literature Classification <a href="http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html?n=46&p=156&sTitle=fallout+3&sMature=1&sMediaGames=1&sDateFromM=1&sDateFromY=2008&sDateToM=12&sDateToY=2008&record=228415">has handed an RC to Bethesda's Fallout 3</a>, making it illegal to sell the game in Australia. It's not known at this stage if the ban was for drug use, as the original rumour states, or gore as I was predicting.</blockquote>
<br>
I don't get to play Fallout 3. Hallelujah! I've been saved! For Aussie's who did want to play it, <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43266">NMA gives you the bad news</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>This means that Fallout 3 is banned for sale, hire, public exhibition or importation into Australia, carrying a maximum fine of $275,000 and/or 10 years jail.</blockquote>
<br>
Gosh. However will Australians who want to play Fallout 3 get a hold of it now?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Wyrmlord</b>!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hehehe.....HAHAHAHA....MUAHAHAHAhahaha...

I'm sure they'll tone down the violence. From what I've seen they'd have problems in Germany, too. So BoS 2 loses its sole redeeming feature, imho.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This means that Fallout 3 is banned for sale, hire, public exhibition or importation into Australia, carrying a maximum fine of $275,000 and/or 10 years jail.

What? And I thought German game laws were strict. This is fucking ridiculous though. We have many games that may not be sold officially, but you're still allowed to import them if you're old enough...

Shannow

Waster of Time
WhiskeyWolf said:
Shannow said:
21 million.
Shit, only?

I love the Codex, everyday you find out something new.

Or you could just visit Wikipedia once in a while. Despite its bad reputation around here it is a great source of information. It just sucks as a source for scientific papers and for political topics.

J1M

Arcane
Btw, the RC rating stands for "Really Crappy".

Shannow said:
Or you could just visit Wikipedia once in a while. Despite its bad reputation around here it is a great source of information. It just sucks as a source for scientific papers and for political topics.
Last time i checked it did have some quite accurate articles on astronomy.

Anyway, IIRC it's not the first time australians got fucked... and here i was thinking these german ratings are way too strict :)

DemonKing

Arcane
The problem is that we don't have an 18+ rating for games like we have for movies. So basically if your game doesn't fit in the 15+ range (must be 15 years older or more to purchase) then you are either going to have to modify your code or be banned here.

The issue has been debated here but to institute an 18+ code for games all of the 6 states' attorney generals have to agree and unfortunately we have one state with a bible-basher in the role who argues that by allowing an 18+ classification it will make violent and sexually-explicit games more readily available to the kiddies (even though such a rating would make it illegal to sell it to them).

It's kind of ridiculous but that's how it stands currently.

Longshanks

Augur
Yeah, our ratings system is less strict or conservative than that in the US, apart from the missing R18+ classification for games :wink: . Very few movies are rated R18+ here, whereas in the US anything with even moderate violence or sexual themes is rated R17+ (The Matrix :shock: , Gladiator, Oz, Kill Bill 2 ... All rated 15+ here). GTA IV received an MA15+ rating, with very minor changes, voluntarily applied by R*.

An 18+ catgeory will be added eventually, it's just that, as DemonKing pointed out, there needs to be agreement across all six state governments, and that's never easy to achieve.

BearBomber

Scholar
Today they have taken our games, tommorow they'll take OUT FREEEEEEEDOM!

LAST HOPE OF AUSTRALIA

V_taking_a_bow.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Australia is just annoyed that Fallout is set in America rather than the outback like the Mad Max movies.

Ausir

Arcane
It's been confirmed that it's the drugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom