Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain chooses the Smooth Talker Perk

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout 3; Tim Cain

<a href="http://www.edge-online.com/news/what-tim-cain-thinks-fallout-3" target="blank">The Edge</a> prodded Tim Cain into putting forth an opinion on Bethesda's upcoming <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22021" target="blank">Fallout 3</a>. As you might expect from a currently employed game developer, he took the diplomatic route.
<br>
<blockquote>He said in an interview with Edge on Tuesday, "I do like what I've seen about Fallout 3. I've talked to those guys at Bethesda about it. It's their IP now and they've gone in a certain direction and it's very intriguing.
<br>
"It's not necessarily the direction I would've gone, but I can tell you I have my Fallout 3 pre-ordered. I want my life-sized Pip-Boy. I'm going to be playing that at the end of the month."</blockquote>
<br>
And he added some very mildly worded doubts.
<br>
<blockquote>"The biggest problem I have with expanding the game is that the original games were designed to make you feel like you were one of the last people left on Earth. And with Fallout 3 and the online version, I'm curious about how they'll handle making the game not feel too crowded--making it feel like there's not much life left out there after the war."</blockquote>
<br>
In other Cain news, he's been <a href="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ncsofts-carbine-studios-names-tim/story.aspx?guid={A2C07BE2-7572-427F-B7C8-A71064D73994}&dist=hppr" target="blank">moving up the ranks</a> at Carbine Studios.
<br>
<blockquote>Computer game developer Carbine Studios(TM) today announced the promotion of industry veteran Tim Cain to design director of the studio's unannounced massively multiplayer online (MMO) game. Located in Orange County, Calif., Carbine Studios is part of NCsoft(R), the world's premier publisher and developer of MMO games.</blockquote>
<br>
<i>Thanks to LCJr for the tip.</i>

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The title prompts the question, what would Tim Cain possibly sound like with 1 INT ?

<a href="http://www.edge-online.com/news/what-tim-cain-thinks-fallout-3" target="blank">The Edge</a> prodded Tim Cain into putting forth an opinion on Bethesda's upcoming <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22021" target="blank">Fallout 3</a>. As you might expect from a currently employed game developer, he took the diplomatic route.
<blockquote>He said in an interview with Edge on Tuesday, "Ug. Ah-ah-ah. Pip. Boy."</blockquote>
And he added some very mildly worded doubts.
<blockquote>"War good. People bad."</blockquote>

I think I had too much coffee.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Tim Cain said:
"To be honest, I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 as a consumer, not a developer. I just want to play it and enjoy it."
I like this reply, because he isn't trying to bash the game like the rest of us, he just wants to look forward to a good game.

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother leaving negative feedback, or sound like a sarcastic prick to drive a point. It's cool at first, but it does grow old.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the game he's working on, the concept art on the site look cool.

slipgate_angel said:
I like this reply, because he isn't trying to bash the game like the rest of us, he just wants to look forward to a good game.

Weak.

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother leaving negative feedback, or sound like a sarcastic prick to drive a point.

Weak.

It's cool at first, but it does grow old.

Weak.

mondblut

Arcane
The professional devs can't have the luxury of being able to say "that game bloody fucking sucks, and the dorks who made it should be castrated and never ever allowed near the computers again". They have to conform to the polite and diplomatic industry-wide circle jerk, or they risk their future carrier, publisher relationships or even current job.

(i don't "defend" Cain, he could worship Failout3 for all I care, just pointing at the fact).

We need more Cleves Blakemores and Dereks Smarts among the developers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
mondblut said:
The professional devs can't have the luxury of being able to say "that game bloody fucking sucks, and the dorks who made it should be castrated and never ever allowed near the computers again". They have to conform to the polite and diplomatic industry-wide circle jerk, or they risk their future carrier, publisher relationships or even current job.
Unless a developer so godlike in skill appears that he'll still be chased after by publishers even after he has expressed seething hatred towards them.

Data4

Arcane
a704_bm.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
shihonage said:
The title prompts the question, what would Tim Cain possibly sound like with 1 INT ?

Tim Cain said:
I do like what I've seen about Fallout 3. I've talked to those guys at Bethesda about it. It's their IP now and they've gone in a certain direction and it's very intriguing.
It's not necessarily the direction I would've gone, but I can tell you I have my Fallout 3 pre-ordered. I want my life-sized Pip-Boy. I'm going to be playing that at the end of the month.

mondblut

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Unless a developer so godlike in skill appears that he'll still be chased after by publishers even after he has expressed seething hatred towards them.

Not a chance. In this industry nobody is immune, and every designer is expendable, no matter how much a rockstar he and his fans fancy himself. Even a kvltest designer ends up like Romero if he ceases to radiate niceness. This is half industry ethics and half PR standarts really.

Even I sometimes feel unsafe speaking my mind here, despite being from a small and relatively unknown studio and having no tags that show off my status ;) And the bigger a figure is, the more his every word acts like an official statement.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How old is Tod Howard? I actually kinda admire him, he is very successeful guy for his age. In before me fucked by codex nerdrage.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
In fact, how is Fallout 3 worse than Bloodlines?

Loading screens? Check.
Unpickable locks? Check.
Some cringe-worthy VO and dialogue? Check.
Numerous combat flaws? Check.

Disconnected

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
I wouldn't know, I never played Bloodlines. I know cross-posting sucks though.

Still, I do share your sentiment. The FO3 bitching is getting ridiculous. Animation is bad? From a bunch of guys who play ASCII games? What the fuck..

MetalCraze

Arcane
Disconnected said:
I want my life-sized Pip-Boy. I'm going to be playing that at the end of the month.
Yeah, uhm.. I really didn't need to know that, Tim.

No you just didn't understand it right. Tim Cain actually said that F3 sucks, can't you see it? :#fallout:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disconnected said:
Jaime Lannister said:
I wouldn't know, I never played Bloodlines. I know cross-posting sucks though.

Still, I do share your sentiment. The FO3 bitching is getting ridiculous. Animation is bad? From a bunch of guys who play ASCII games? What the fuck..

They're hyping the game for the graphics. And the animations are horrible, just like in Oblivion, which was also hyped for the graphics. Heck, they claim to have the BEST NEXT-GEN GRAFFIX EVAR but can't do animations right. What the hell.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Cloaked Figure said:
why does the todd in that picture look hawt, but the one on my tag he looks like a tard?

When he's not on his meds, that's what he's like.

In the big pic they've got him more doped up than a hungry hannibal lecter.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Disconnected said:
The FO3 bitching is getting ridiculous. Animation is bad? From a bunch of guys who play ASCII games? What the fuck..

Would anyone play BethSoft's FO3 if it had ASCII graphics? Why not? What do you mean the gameplay is more shallow than the average card game? Then what's the selling point? And they can't even manage doing that right? Then who's the game directed toward... Oh wait, I think I see where this is going. Jeez, what a pack of tossers. - Lord British.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom