Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News $300 Million for Fallout 3 as 4.7 Million units ship

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Bethesda show how it's done by shipping 4.7 Million units of Fallout 3. <a href="http://bethsoft.com/eng/news/pressrelease_110608.html">Here's the press release</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>November 5, 2008 (ROCKVILLE, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, announced that its hit title, Fallout® 3 has enjoyed record sales at launch, reflecting the huge consumer demand for the game. Approximately 4.7 million units of Fallout 3 were shipped worldwide last week for Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony, and Games for Windows, representing retail sales in excess of $300 million.
<br>
<br>
Released on October 28 in North America at midnight store openings in over 2,000 retail outlets jammed with fans eager to get the game, Fallout 3 quickly became one of the industry’s top sellers. In the United Kingdom, where it was not released until Friday, October 31, Fallout 3 is the number one title among all video games, as well as being the number one game on each of its three platforms.</blockquote>
<br>
Not bad for a little known, dead gaming license. <a href="http://kotaku.com/5075446/pc-sales-charts-now-with-added-direct2drive">Kotaku also report that Fallout 3 is coming in at the top</a> of Steam sales and Direct2Drive.
<br>
<br>
In other news, <a href="http://music.ign.com/articles/924/924409p1.html">IGN have interviewed Inon Zur</a>, the guy who made the music:
<br>
<blockquote><b>IGN Music:</b> We were discussing your music around the office today and one of my colleagues mentioned that what he enjoys most about your work is that you can play 170 hours of Fallout 3 and the music is never intrusive. He went on to say how it helps create dramatic tension and works in tandem with the game play, but never overpowers it.
<br>
<br>
<b>Inon Zur:</b> Well, you know, I won't claim all the credit for myself. I think that Bethesda, Todd Howard (Executive Producer), Mark Lambert (Audio Designer), they did a very, very good job implementing the music and they also did a very good job explaining to me what they needed and how the music should work [in the game]. That was their part and it was a BIG part; I would say at least 50%.</blockquote>
<br>
<b>IGN Music</b>: Hi Inon, we were just talking about how much you rawk, OMG I LUV U xxxo
<br>
<br>
<b>Inon Zur</b>: My place or yours sweetie?
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

DemonKing

Arcane
Apparently FO3 has already outsold the previous 2 titles, plus Tactics and BoS combined.

Which means for a lot of people FO3 is there very first Fallout experience...frightening thought!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sorry; but Bethesda's name is what sold FO3 not the FO name. Espicially since FO3 kept getting connection to Oblivion.

Grats to Beth. You did it again! You found a lot of suckers and a bunch of them are Codexers - the biggest tools in the industry!

garren

Arcane
Patron
I was actually surprised that it sold so well. I thought a game taking place in a different universe than Elder Scrolls by Bethesda would turn alot of people off, not to mention the number 3 indicating that the game isn't the first in the series.

But then again, Bethesda could probably sell buckets of shit by now and the mainstream audience would still happily smear their faces in it. Despite the criticism Oblivion got from the more "hardcore" crpg fans, alot of people loved the game to death. Fallout 3 is more of the same, just in a different wrapping, and that's all the mainstream could ask for. What's not to like?

Of course, marketing for the game was pretty top-notch, gotta give them a hand for that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"But then again, Bethesda could probably sell buckets of shit by now and the mainstream audience would still happily smear their faces in it."

Don't pick on the 'mainstream'. The Codex is first in line to buy and play Bethesdean shit. :twisted:

Chefe

Erudite
Wondering why it did so well among people who have never even heard of Fallout? Let's see...

- Futuristic and PA settings are all the rage now.
- The Bethesda name is tied to Oblivion, a blockbuster hit.
- The number 3 indicates there are two other titles before it, and that means the games have been good enough to warrant that many sequels.
- Todd is charming in a child-like way.
- The fun PipBoy mascot.
- It offers some intellectual simulation and a massive world in stark contrast to the mindless linear crap that's being pushed out there.
- It's an RPG without elves, fairys, or fruity colors.
- It's an American RPG, which means it's not a 50 hour JRPG grindfest.
- It takes place in a PA Washington DC. This is a time of massive political crisis here in the States, and also a time of fierce patriotism.
- It's 50's theme. Back to the Future took place in the 50's. (this is more of a subconscious reason)
- Let's face it, most Xbox360 and PS3 games are fucking horrible, filled with hours and hours of pointless cutscenes, providing at most 20 hours of gameplay, no replay value, and broken online components. Anything Bethesda throws out is a godsend. The quality jump from Oblivion to Fallout 3 should be proof in itself that they want to make good games, because they certainly didn't have to go to all the trouble of hand placing all that stuff and spend four years in development.

Micmu

Magister
I guess this means those industry hacks are gonna be still around for a while, raping old games into shit-likes and marketing a lot. What a pity.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I agree with Volly. I think it had more do with Bethseda's name and the marketing blitz than the Fallout name. You can't prove it either way so beats me.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Was I the only one in the codex who just didn't give a shit about its release or the many, many threads here about it? I saw the PR stuff, it looked like dick and after that I decided that it wasn't worth the time, energy or money to buy or even torrent.

The Fallout series ended with Fallout 2.
Just bring on the Age of Decadence and Indie games....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If you say so Volourn."

Are you disputing what I wrote? Just look at the tons of FO3 threads with posts from so called Codexers including Mr. VD himself kissing the game's ass. These are the same people who bashed the game over every little bit of info released. Then, they went out and bought/stole/played the game within days of release and now eating the shit up.

Codex = No Different Than Mainstream Audience.

Deal with it.

They'll eat any shit served them, and bitch about it but actually enjoy the taste.

made

Arcane
This comes hardly as a surprise. People are sheep, Codexers not excluded. It's just ridiculous to bash Oblivion/Bethesda and then go and buy their new game that by all accounts is only marginally better. Personally, I didn't even torrent it; waste of bandwidth.

This isn't surprising, its a good game. How can you admit to not even torrenting the game and calling it trash. I was expecting Oblivion and I got something with serious flaws, but still damn enjoyable.

If you think its trash without playing, where are you getting your opinion? From mindless anti-bethesda propaganda, or just jumping on the bitter old gamer bandwagon. It can't be from any reviews, from any sites, even the ones that have a decent reputation. Even VD who happily pisses on most games enjoyed it.

Its not a true Fallout game, its not the RPG you want, but it doesn't warrant the level of vitriol its getting , its not a bad game.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Volourn said:

StraitLacedDeviant said:
This isn't surprising, its a good game. How can you admit to not even torrenting the game and calling it trash. I was expecting Oblivion and I got something with serious flaws, but still damn enjoyable.

If you think its trash without playing, where are you getting your opinion? From mindless anti-bethesda propaganda, or just jumping on the bitter old gamer bandwagon. It can't be from any reviews, from any sites, even the ones that have a decent reputation. Even VD who happily pisses on most games enjoyed it.

Its not a true Fallout game, its not the RPG you want, but it doesn't warrant the level of vitriol its getting , its not a bad game.

Me personally, from Bethesda's previous bore fests: Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall etc. I've seen previews, the leaked videos and none of it appealed to me. Seeing all of these things I think more than warrants my opinion on the game. I don't like any of their games. I don't like their design philosophy. And I don't feel like forking up $100 or wasting bandwidth for TES 5: Fallout. It's simply not Fallout and like you said, not the RPG I want or take any interest in.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If you think its trash without playing, where are you getting your opinion? From mindless anti-bethesda propaganda, or just jumping on the bitter old gamer bandwagon. It can't be from any reviews, from any sites, even the ones that have a decent reputation. Even VD who happily pisses on most games enjoyed it."

That's me alright. Toeing the Codex line parroting its opinions. L0L

made

Arcane
StraitLacedDeviant said:

VD also enjoyed Gothic 3, which I found atrocious. There is plenty of info available on the net to make a judgement, for example VD's impressions on ITSF. He might be forgiving of the horrible dialogue because "it's still a fun game overall" but I know I wouldn't be. But yeah, I probably should play it through at least once to be able to say it sucked.

St. Toxic

Arcane
made said:
I probably should play it through at least once to be able to say it sucked.

Alot of people were apparently suckered into Fallout 3 using this as the main reason to get the game. I don't think it's worth it. Especially since you (well, any human being of average intelligence) can pinpoint FO3's flaws from miles away.

I got a copy (literally a copy winks winks nudge nudge ogosh) to do the DAC review, but I'm starting to regret it. What's the point? I had nailed all the flaws in FO3 back when Oblivion was about to get shoved out the door, got it mostly confirmed when the media hit and there is nothing particularly redeeming in the game to cover it up. Just say it sucked, and if anybody questions the validity of your statement with ye' good ole' "Did you even play the gaem for X hours?!?!!?" just post a picture of a fluffy kitten or a gaping anus or whatever else rocks your boat.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
StraitLacedDeviant said:

This is the kind of moronic argument I would expect to see on the Bethseda forums, but not here. I have seen enough through screenshots, developer interviews, player commentary, and gameplay footage to know I would be avoiding this game for months. Nothing I have seen since it was released has changed my mind, except rather than being enraged at Bethseda for making a shitty game with the Fallout name, I'm apathetic that they made a mediocre game with the Fallout name.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's not fantastic, but it's not the complete shitfest we believed it'd be. Inclusion of many stat checks in dialogues is an obvious improvement over Oblivion, for instance.

Mech

Cipher
Xor said:
StraitLacedDeviant said:

This is the kind of moronic argument I would expect to see on the Bethseda forums, but not here. I have seen enough through screenshots, developer interviews, player commentary, and gameplay footage to know I would be avoiding this game for months. Nothing I have seen since it was released has changed my mind, except rather than being enraged at Bethseda for making a shitty game with the Fallout name, I'm apathetic that they made a mediocre game with the Fallout name.

Calling someone else's argument moronic when you just posted that tripe is pretty funny.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Hay guys. Hay guys! I hate Fallout 3 too! I won't never never never buy it (but I'm gunna play it though, but that's Ok I'm a Pirate!! Aaarrrr!!). From what I've heard it SUX! I'm cool now, rite?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom