Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 sales beat Oblivion

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

Fallout 3 is <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/fallout-3-outsells-all-previous-titles-in-the-series-combined">selling like hot cakes according to gameindustry.biz</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The game has outsold combined sales in the region of the original Fallout and its sequel, and spin-off titles Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.
<br>
<br>
First week sales were also 57 per cent stronger than the first week performance of Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
<br>
<br>
According to data from GfK Chart-Track, 55 per cent of all sales were on the Microsoft format, 28 per cent on Sony's home console and 17 per cent for the PC.</blockquote>
<br>
... and it hit number 1 of all format charts. I guess that pretty much guarantees an expansion or five, a GOTY Edition, Fallout 4, 5, 6, 7 and the MMO. People with memories will remember reports that <a href="http://www.edge-online.com/news/oblivion-obliterates-sales-charts">Oblivion didn't do too badly in its first week</a>, selling "more than four times the sales volume of the next best-selling title". *Ouch*
<br>
<br>
In other news, GeekaNerd have their <a href="http://www.geekanerdblog.com/2008/11/5-things-i-love-about-fallout-3.html">Five Things I Love About Fallout 3</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>It Restricts Your Character Stats</b>: I know that sounds dumb, right? Restrictions are bad, right? Not so, says I. In much the same way your actions in the game are actual choices because they require the sacrifice of another experience, building your character stats requires actual choice because you simply can't have everything. This is not an RPG where you level up indefinitely and continually boost your stats and eventually become an unstoppable God.</blockquote>
<br>
O'rly?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Eclecticist</b>!

Micmu

Magister
The game has outsold combined sales in the region of the original Fallout and its sequel, and spin-off titles Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.
No shit, on a market 10 times bigger and 20 times the marketing budget. Oh wait, it must be because it's like super awesome!1

Shannow

Waster of Time
It Restricts Your Character Stats: I know that sounds dumb, right? Restrictions are bad, right? Not so, says I. In much the same way your actions in the game are actual choices because they require the sacrifice of another experience, building your character stats requires actual choice because you simply can't have everything. This is not an RPG where you level up indefinitely and continually boost your stats and eventually become an unstoppable God.
That is so stupid. You can max many of the skills you have. You can be a gun toting, orating, sneaking science-wiz no problem. The old FO way was much better. Restrictions are dumb. They shouldn't talk about restrictions but about balance. That is much more important. /rant

So, old FO fans, Oblivion fans, hyped kiddies, maybe stalker fans and anybody who wanted a PA "RPG" bought FO3 that was released on PC and consoles and thus it sold very well and we should be surprised because...?

No shit, on a market 10 times bigger and 20 times the marketing budget. Oh wait, it must be because it's like super awesome!1

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I am level 13 and am finding many skills are reaching the 100 mark now - wasn't too hard with exploring for books, finding bobbleheads, and a high intelligence (I also took the perk that made books give you two points instead of 1, which maybe was a mistake if I didn't want to be super duper man). I didn't set out for it to be this way, but still. It's beginning to feel a bit Elderscrolls with maxed speech, energy weapons, small guns, science, and a bunch of others due to reach the limit soon.

Also, having watched some of Fallout 1's dialogue recently on youtube, it really shows up Bethsoft's efforts . Their writing team just isn't as good, by a not insignificant margin.

Still, they obviously have been trying and there's much to praise in the game. I hope that they take these sales figures and develop the series by building on the good stuff, rather than deciding to go the dumbing down route as they move further away from the original FOs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fuck you world.

Fuck you."

Fuck you Codex.

Fuck you.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently playing the game and it's not utter shit as some have said , but it's not anything special either. As it has already been stated the writing is sub par (as in most bethesda games)

The situation that occurs and forces you to leave the vault is handled with a retarded manner. The fact that in megaton everyone welcomes you like you've visited some cozy little village in Italy, with dialog like "sheriff : you seem like an honest face, holler if you need anything" is also ridiculous. Also it seems that even though you have ways of resolving situations through dialog, the most rewarding way is combat.

Anyway, the game keeps my interest so far mainly for the wasteland atmosphere and the fact that you can do many things here and there.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
"Fuck you world.

Fuck you."

Fuck you Codex.

Fuck you.

Agreed.

I'm sick of all the whiners and crybabies here.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I don't see anyway that this is a bad thing. Oblivion was the worst thing to ever happen to the RPG market. At least this sends the message that a game where stats/skills matter and dialog trees exist can be a success. Oblivion was moving us dangerously close to RPGs being replaced by Hexen clones. FO3 may not be a great RPG, but I think it meets any reasonable definition of RPG, unlike Oblivion, which just used the name.

Heresiarch

Prophet
fizzelopeguss said:
A few of those buyers may decide to play the originals.

And then they may cry "oh noze the original falout grafix so baad and UI too messy and 2 MANY STATZ SO COMPLACIOTED thanx bethsoft put fallout to the RIGHT WAY YAY!1"

On the original news: gratz.

Hexen clones

Too be honest, I WANT more decent Hexen clones.

Hazelnut

Erudite
SpaceKungFuMan said:
I don't see anyway that this is a bad thing. Oblivion was the worst thing to ever happen to the RPG market. At least this sends the message that a game where stats/skills matter and dialog trees exist can be a success. Oblivion was moving us dangerously close to RPGs being replaced by Hexen clones. FO3 may not be a great RPG, but I think it meets any reasonable definition of RPG, unlike Oblivion, which just used the name.

I take your point SKFM, but it's a bad RPG. Stats don't really matter much.

denizsi

Arcane
I get the impression that ZeniMax/Bethesda made a market research about commercial potential of Fallout IP and found promising results, even before they bought it. Now, of course, who wouldn't, other than Troika? I mean, they didn't hype FO3 nearly half as much as they hyped Oblivion, even if all previews and reviews favoured them again. Even if half of everyone who bought Oblivion suddenly became fanboys and bought FO3 no questions asked, a significant part of the other half of F3 sales might be the unsuspecting and nonvocal fan base of the original games. Otherwise, 4.7 million units so fast is fucking crazy, for a relatively forgotten/unknown IP.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Matt7895 said:
SuicideBunny said:
Matt7895 said:
I'm sick of all the whiners and crybabies here.
does that include yourself and volly?

We don't fit in with the hive mind, do we?

Oh, but you do.

By saying nothing, you acknowledge the fact that you belong to the hivemind, while when you place yourself in the opposition, you say that you are not with the hivemind just like everyone else on board, thus, you belong to hivemind22 no matter what.

elander_

Arbiter
Not really a surprise here. Fallout 3 is actually better than the competition by a large margin. Of course this doesn't excuse the fact it's balanced for retards who are afraid of game play.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
denizsi said:
I mean, they didn't hype FO3 nearly half as much as they hyped Oblivion, even if all previews and reviews favoured them again.

Really? I saw a lot of TV advertising for Fallout 3, a lot more than I ever saw for Oblivion, but obviously what I saw isn't necessarily representative of reality. But I don't get the impression that FO3 was unheralded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom