Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 sales beat Oblivion

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
xuerebx said:
Should I have said I enjoyed KOTOR more? :P I didn't anyway, I'm not going to lie about what I enjoyed or didn't enjoy :D

DI's just been a bit of a bitch lately, saying everyone who disagrees with him in the slightest is part of the "Decline of the Codex".

gc051360

Scholar
I maintain you are an idiot. Bethesda's main reason for success is they make games that people want to play, and that includes Codexers. Advertising, and marketing only helps to get the word out. Like them or not, they know what they are doing. They serve the customer, and do a damn good job of it.
When was the last time a well advertised game flopped?

And just because they are successful, that doesn't mean they have any type of talent. Look at Michael Bay.

And again. The type of game that Bethesda makes, doesn't get made. They are the only show in town, so to speak.

Mister Takeda

Educated
gc051360 said:
The type of game that Bethesda makes, doesn't get made. They are the only show in town, so to speak.

This is a big part of it. Imagine an "accessible" version of Dwarf Fortress (and any good sandbox rpg) being released by a major developer. Bethesda games would begin tank. Especially if it somehow made its way to console.

The LARP fags would love it. The Codex would love it. Todd would plotz.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
fizzelopeguss said:
A few of those buyers may decide to play the originals.

And then they may cry "oh noze the original falout grafix so baad and UI too messy and 2 MANY STATZ SO COMPLACIOTED thanx bethsoft put fallout to the RIGHT WAY YAY!1"

Not really, it was morrowind that got me into RPG's. And that led me to the GURPS fallout demo, and thus my soul was saved from eternal damnation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"When was the last time a well advertised game flopped?"

Plenty of examples of this. Do some research.

"And just because they are successful, that doesn't mean they have any type of talent. Look at Michael Bay."

They have talent to make games people wnat to play. So does Micheal Bay. It doesn't matter if YOU like their movies/games. Many people do. Tool.

"And again. The type of game that Bethesda makes, doesn't get made. They are the only show in town, so to speak."

Bullshit whiny excuse.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
denizsi said:
I get the impression that ZeniMax/Bethesda made a market research about commercial potential of Fallout IP and found promising results, even before they bought it. Now, of course, who wouldn't, other than Troika? I mean, they didn't hype FO3 nearly half as much as they hyped Oblivion, even if all previews and reviews favoured them again. Even if half of everyone who bought Oblivion suddenly became fanboys and bought FO3 no questions asked, a significant part of the other half of F3 sales might be the unsuspecting and nonvocal fan base of the original games. Otherwise, 4.7 million units so fast is fucking crazy, for a relatively forgotten/unknown IP.
See, I have no interest in buying Fallout 3.

But damn, from a business point of view, these people have been very shrewd. 4.7 million copies in 3-4 weeks is alot. Yeah, it must have cost alot to market the game. The game in itself must have been quite expensive. But the margin still looks impressive.

Assuming that every copy of the game costs $60, 4.7 million copies amounts to $282 million in revenues. That's the sort of money movies make, and movies have bigger hyping campaigns behind them.

Again, the total cost of marketing the game must have been huge. How much could it have been? $20 million? $30 million? At most? I fear I may be exaggerating. So 4.7 million copies still looks damn good. And there are still a few more months to go, so there are bound to be more sales.

Now here's what is truly astonishing. They made this game from a 10 year old IP. Yes, Fallout sold well for its time. But the market was smaller and games were cheaper to make. It's not like that would guarantee many sales. You know what I was thinking for a long time?

I thought these guys were shooting themselves in the foot. I mean, instead of making another Elder Scrolls game, they picked up an old IP, scrapped its original gameplay, and started making a different game afresh, a move that can alienate both their normal fanbase and the fans of the IP. Business-wise, it sounded like the worst thing to do. And then the lead designer says that he will make the game he wants to make, and "refuse to be villified" for it. Back when Emil said that, I thought this guy was nuts, to think that he can ignore what people want, and just make a game by his own discretion. I was convinced this whimsical project would run them down.

Now, months later, Emil and Bethesda have proven me wrong. The fact that this game outsold Oblivion, a game of a more well-known franchise, and that too in a few weeks, all with an old IP, while audaciously ignoring the conventions of the other games of this very IP, and shifting away from their usual franchise, is all simply incredible. I don't know what foresight or what potential they were able to see in this whole thing back then, but fate has proven them the wiser.

What a bold mad act of genius it was to make this game and have it sell so well. Someone somewhere did something right with this game. I can't speak for its inherent quality, but it still takes alot of business talent to be able to achieve such a commercial success.

This is not a small deal. A game is a speculative venture. Its success can not be predicted. You can predict the success of a new food brand, but not of a luxury good that is meant for personal entertainment. There is no telling if it will click right with people. The fact that it is a videogame you are selling is in itself a setback - you don't believe me, you look at how the gaming industry fell apart in the 80s.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't even know many games with advertisement like that. I mean, of the top of my head I can recall less than a dozen games that had TV spots.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sure. But with 4.7 million copies sold, I can't doubt for a second that the profit margin is still pretty high.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Wasn't Battlecruiser 3000AD also extensively hyped? I think it tanked hard, since it was released as freeware quite early.

Tintin

Arbiter
Yeah, for once Volourn is right.

It's fine to moan about Oblivion not being an RPG or being a shallow game, but even the RPGCodex review admits one basic thing - it is a fun game. It clicked with the mass audience. Same with Fallout. Bethesda is making games that the mainstream audience likes to play, and therefore they are successful.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wyrmlord said:
Sure. But with 4.7 million copies sold, I can't doubt for a second that the profit margin is still pretty high.
Not meant as a counter-argument. Quite the opposite. Of all the games with TV spots in Germany I know off, not a single one has tanked. Maybe Mirror's Edge still has a chance?

If you want to sell several million copies of a game, you first have to make sure a few million people know it exists. I believe that for many games, 4.7 million people who know about them would be a big deal.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's fine to moan about Oblivion not being an RPG or being a shallow game, but even the RPGCodex review admits one basic thing - it is a fun game. It clicked with the mass audience."

Woah, woah, woah, don't claim I was 'right' then counter me in the very next breath. I never claimed that FO3 was fun (it's shit by default because it's Bethesda). i just claimed millions thought it would be fun hence the bought it. I'm not one of them. Tool.

Tintin

Arbiter
lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom