Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 sales beat Oblivion

-Garrett-

Novice
A lot of the hype for Fallout 3 happened automatically--everyone assumed that Fallout 3 would be like Oblivion with guns (at least in part). Many Oblivion fans would have been instantly excited about Fallout 3 regardless of how little was actually known or whether they had any previous knowledge of what Fallout was.

Deleted member 7219

PorkaMorka said:
denizsi said:
I mean, they didn't hype FO3 nearly half as much as they hyped Oblivion, even if all previews and reviews favoured them again.

Really? I saw a lot of TV advertising for Fallout 3, a lot more than I ever saw for Oblivion, but obviously what I saw isn't necessarily representative of reality. But I don't get the impression that FO3 was unheralded.

Exactly. Here in the UK, there's hardly any gaming advertisements, but I saw Fallout 3 advertised on the side of a bus the other day. I don't think I've ever seen a game advertised on a bus before.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Now, of course, who wouldn't, other than Troika? I mean, they didn't hype FO3 nearly half as much as they hyped Oblivion,"

You are an idiot. FO3 was hyped as much as any product.

"even if all previews and reviews favoured them again."

Part of the hype.

" Even if half of everyone who bought Oblivion suddenly became fanboys and bought FO3 no questions asked, a significant part of the other half of F3 sales might be the unsuspecting and nonvocal fan base of the original games."

Don't be atool. Supposedly, FO3 has alreayd outsold all the earlier FOs *combinined* I seriosuly doubt the FO fanbase is the reason why though stupid Codexers who bashed Betehsda and FO3 pre release and still went out out and bought are the problem. Then again, most Codexers bought Oblivion too 'cause their retarded suckers who buy anything remotely attached to the RPG genre.

"Otherwise, 4.7 million units so fast is fucking crazy, for a relatively forgotten/unknown IP."

Bethesda is anything but unknown or forgotten. And, consideirng the fact that FO3 was often described -- even in the mainstream - as Oblivion with guns - of course though who bought Oblivion wanted FO3.

Morons.

Tintin

Arbiter
The Fallout fanbase didn't contribute significant numbers compared to the hordes of Oblivion and Bethesda fans.

Most Oblivion fans didn't even know Oblivion was part of a long running series called "The Elder Scrolls". The IP doesn't really matter, it's all about the hype. Oblivion got a lot of hype and good press so everyone started buying Oblivion, same with Fallout 3. Oblivion was very popular with mainstream gamers, but now they're getting bored with it, so of course they will buy the next Bethesda game, since to them it's a promise of more Oblivion-style gaming.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
And, that they got. Good for them. It's only dumb of the people who bash the game pre release,m buy the game, and then either continue bahsing the game or bash it still yet claim despite all the bashing they 'liked it anyways' if you dumb yourself down enough who are retarded.

I got nothing against those who liked Oblivion, and bought FO3 'cause they figured they'd enjoy them too (well, outside the fact they have bad taste in games... *shrug*)

At least they aren't pathetic, weak, retarded, hypocritical tools.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
If none of the bashers bought the game they couldn't really have discussions on the internet about why the game sucked because no one would listen to them after they say that they never played it. The more the angry fans buy the more headaches bethesda will have for the next game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. It just means that Bethesda has more money from suckers to count. You make the enemy richer.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That can easily be solved by obtaining it without removing anything from inventory.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Thieves are scumbags and should all be nutered in case they create more thieves!

doctor_kaz

Scholar
This is what a massive launch party with Hollywood stars, ads all over the subways, a 30-minute infomercial on G4, and a full page New York Times ad will do for you.

Marketing is everything.

Texas Red

Whiner
doctor_kaz said:
This is what a massive launch party with Hollywood stars, ads all over the subways, a 30-minute infomercial on G4, and a full page New York Times ad will do for you.

Marketing is everything.

But then you have to look at the game itself. Its scale, character progression, quests etc. make the game probably more appealing to tards who only play FPSs and JRPGs.

gc051360

Scholar
For the record, I never purchased or played FO3.

And never will.

After Oblivion I swore to never buy another Bethesda product again.

I still maintain that Bethesda's success is in large part due to marketing + lack of any substitutes on the consoles for games like theirs.

Tintin

Arbiter
gc051360 said:
I still maintain that Bethesda's success is in large part due to marketing + lack of any substitutes on the consoles for games like theirs.

Don't be stupid.

Bethesda's success with Oblivion and now Fallout is that they make games which mainstream gamers won't feel completely lost in while also being a unique and greater experience compared to the games they usually play.

Morbus

Scholar
ghostdog said:
I'm currently playing the game and it's not utter shit as some have said , but it's not anything special either.
Ah, just you wait until you get hopelessly bored with all the exactly equal dungeons and the very poor and short and stupid main plot... Actually, it's not stupid. It's just a plain copy paste of Fallout 1's storyline. You go for a boss and omg you tell him to die (or kill him), and then you go for another place and blow it up and that's it. The only difference now is that the writing is atrocious.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Morbus said:
ghostdog said:
I'm currently playing the game and it's not utter shit as some have said , but it's not anything special either.
Ah, just you wait until you get hopelessly bored with all the exactly equal dungeons and the very poor and short and stupid main plot... Actually, it's not stupid. It's just a plain copy paste of Fallout 1's storyline. You go for a boss and omg you tell him to die (or kill him), and then you go for another place and blow it up and that's it. The only difference now is that the writing is atrocious.
I might never reach to that point because the game is a technical nightmare, definitely the most problematic game I've played lately. Megaton is mess. Every once in a while I'm experiencing random crashes and a couple of times the pc simply restarted. Not to mention that some of the "important" NPC's have the tendency to fall from high ledges and die. I had to resurrect one of them through the console.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
doctor_kaz said:

Marketing is everything.

But then you have to look at the game itself. Its scale, character progression, quests etc. make the game probably more appealing to tards who only play FPSs and JRPGs.

It can't hurt but marketing and hype still does the job. Bethesda is basically the Michael Bay of the gaming world.

xuerebx

Erudite
doctor_kaz said:
It can't hurt but marketing and hype still does the job. Bethesda is basically the Michael Bay of the gaming world.

I can't think of any other current company developing RP games which I prefer overr Bethesda right now. Bioware, Blizzard...their games don't really appeal to me that much, though I've played some of Bioware's games and enjoyed them, but they're nothing special. At least to me.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
Really? I saw a lot of TV advertising for Fallout 3, a lot more than I ever saw for Oblivion, but obviously what I saw isn't necessarily representative of reality. But I don't get the impression that FO3 was unheralded.

Exactly. Here in the UK, there's hardly any gaming advertisements, but I saw Fallout 3 advertised on the side of a bus the other day. I don't think I've ever seen a game advertised on a bus before.[/quote]
Where do you live?

xuerebx

Erudite
Ah, never knew Obisidian created NWN2 and KOTOR II (according to Wiki). To be honest, neither were that special for me. I enjoyed NWN2 though.

Texas Red

Whiner
xuerebx said:
Ah, never knew Obisidian created NWN2 and KOTOR II (according to Wiki). To be honest, neither were that special for me. I enjoyed NWN2 though.

Decline.

xuerebx

Erudite
Should I have said I enjoyed KOTOR more? :P I didn't anyway, I'm not going to lie about what I enjoyed or didn't enjoy :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
'I still maintain that Bethesda's success is in large part due to marketing + lack of any substitutes on the consoles for games like theirs."

I maintain you are an idiot. Bethesda's main reason for success is they make games that people want to play, and that includes Codexers. Advertising, and marketing only helps to get the word out. Like them or not, they know what they are doing. They serve the customer, and do a damn good job of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom