Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News All new DLC, combat and everything else in Witcher: Console

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

<a href="http://www.gamecyte.com/the-witcher-rise-of-the-white-wolf-qa-dlc-confirmed">Here's some great news for all you Witcher fans</a> who've already bought and played the game:
<br>
<blockquote>Some of you may be wondering how, exactly, Rise of the White Wolf already has such an excellent collection of screenshots and a CG trailer to its name. The answer is simply that the game, slated for Fall 2009, has already been in development for ten months. Put another way, Rise of the White Wolf has been in the works since back when the spectacular PC Enhanced Edition was announced, and the projects may have occurred in tandem.
<br>
<br>
"we’re not just slapping together a port and are actually making a game built from the ground up to be an amazing console RPG."
<br>
<br>
We’ve completely redesigned the combat system to be more in-line with players’ expectations on consoles. We’ve gone back and motion-captured a lot more combat animations for the new combat actions, like parries, counter-attacks, enhanced evasion, special attacks, etc. We’re also enhancing the enemy AI to make them more aggressive and perform a wide range of offensive and defensive actions to make the combat a bit more action-oriented.
<br>
<br>
We wanted to meet console users’ expectations, so we’re giving them full control of Geralt during combat. They’ll determine how and when Geralt parries enemy blows, ripostes, evades them, makes lunging attacks, and which foes he attacks. In general, combat will be more dynamic and will give players more potential for combat mastery through practice.
<br>
<br>
When asked whether the world design and quests from The Witcher will stay the same, Styli&#324;ski replied “Not entirely,” and proceeded to tell that the game will include “a new interface, redesigned boss battles, new music, a smattering of new models, and a redesigned character development system.”
<br>
<br>
“And that hardly exhausts the list of new features,” he hastily added, watching our sword lazily inch towards his neck.</blockquote>
<br>
I'm sure CD Projekt would now like to thank all those suckers who bought the inferior PC version. It's your own fault though as you clearly just weren't deserving enough and didn't have the kind of "expectations" console users do.
<br>
<br>
If you want more, you can <a href="http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/thewitcherriseofthewhitewolf/video/6202001/the-witcher-rise-of-the-white-wolf-interview-1">watch a video interview over on GameSpot</a> where they talk about how they kept all the great stuff from the original game (story) and re-built everything else.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Santander</b>!

Lingwe

Liturgist
We’ve completely redesigned the combat system to be more in-line with players’ expectations on consoles.

So they've changed it to first person view?

hiver

Good news to hear they are changing the combat like described and abilities (even defense!) enemies use.

That means that all that time i spent on their forums advocating precisely that might have not been for waste.

Which means Witcher II for Pc will be a lot better.
that's all im interested in.

Ausir

Arcane
I'm sure CD Projekt would now like to thank all those suckers who bought the inferior PC version. It's your own fault though as you clearly just weren't deserving enough and didn't have the kind of "expectations" console users do.

I don't see how a more consolized combat system makes it superior, since that's pretty much what they mean by "expectations".

Yes, it will have better graphics, but that's because it will come out 2 years after the original, so it's to be expected.

Silellak

Cipher
I guess this explains why they were willing to put the expense into re-doing the English dialogue/script, at least assuming they keep most of it.

1. Spend money on new script/voice acting
2. Get most/all money back from enhanced PC edition
3. Make even more money by putting game on the console

I am curious how this port will turn out, if only to get an idea of CD Projekt's future direction.

Rhalle

Magister
I understand that Aurora isn't made for consoles, and that they are re-making the combat system to fit console expectations.

But here's the bottom line:

The hardcore PC fanbase got swindled into funding the birth of a console developer.

Witcher 2 or whatever will almost surely be a console port and not the other way around.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The hardcore PC fanbase got swindled into funding the birth of a console developer."

Stop your fuckin' bellyaching. :roll:

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"Yes, piracy happens. Our goal is to provide as much value to paying customers as possible; the Enhanced Edition was basically like a Collector’s Edition of a game at a standard price point. Rather than spending all our time and effort punishing people who get the game illegally, we want to reward those who legitimately buy the games. We’re doing the same with GOG.com – the games there are totally DRM-free, but we encourage people to pay because they’ll get bonus materials and they can sleep easy knowing they’re not contributing to our demise as a company. Piracy hurts a lot of companies, and there are a few companies that have embraced a progressive stance on the issue… make loyal fans out of your customers and they’ll pay for your games."

CDP IS THE MOST EVIL DEVELOPER EVER RARARARARARARARAR

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Re: All new DLC, combat and everything else in Witcher: Cons

DarkUnderlord said:
Yeah, give them shit for not making an inferior port. Clearly, a watered-down console version would be preferable.
Rhalle said:
The hardcore PC fanbase got swindled into funding the birth of a console developer.
Considering they're barely breaking even currently, they could've just started developing a console game right off the bat.
Rhalle said:
Witcher 2 or whatever will almost surely be a console port and not the other way around.
You're getting a bit ahead of things. Feel free to complain when there actually is something to complain about, though.

Vibalist

Arcane
mondblut said:
A same game can be resold how many times?

CdProjekt are not the only developer making console ports. As a matter of fact, they should be commended that they're not just making the same lazy ass port that every other developer shits out.

Silellak

Cipher
Rhalle said:
I understand that Aurora isn't made for consoles, and that they are re-making the combat system to fit console expectations.

But here's the bottom line:

I hate when I get swindled into buying a great game I thoroughly enjoy.

How could they?

Next thing you know, MORE companies might make great PC games I'll ALSO enjoy and then update them 2 years later for a console port.

Fuck, that would be horrible.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The Bitcher, couldn't you focus on the horrid hype? Wanting to make a good port is not Teh Evil. And nobody got swindled. People who buy a basically broken port like GTA4 get swindled.
And what Volly and pkt-zero said.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am having concerns for CDProjekt.

How can they continue programming games with broken arms?

Because I really hope they haven't broken their arms by patting themselves in the back all the time.

Ausir

Arcane
And don't forget that they're also working on 2 PC projects at the same time.

denizsi

Arcane
How much stupid and immature do you have to be to be so unreasonably hateful towards a quality console port, just because it's.. quality?

And don't forget that they're also working on 2 PC projects at the same time.

CDP aren't making the game "They" (or was it "Them"?), if that's the 2nd project you imply. They simply bought the dev company who were already far into the development on "They".

doctor_kaz

Scholar
This sounds like an exceedingly rare case of a company getting the most out of a multiplatform game on each respective platform. It's probably the only PC game I have ever played that I might replay when the console version comes out.

hiver said:

There won't be a Witcher 2 for PC. There will be a Witcher 2 for consoles that gets a PC port. Haven't you learned the pattern by now? Game 1 comes out on PC and then console port comes out later. Game 2 comes out designed for consoles. And I don't know of one single example where a multiplatform PC sequel has been better than the PC exclusive original.

Ausir

Arcane
CDP aren't making the game "They" (or was it "Them"?), if that's the 2nd project you imply. They simply bought the dev company who were already far into the development on "They".

No, they are working on 2 unannounced projects aside from that.

And "They" is technically being made by CDP (since Metropolis is owned by CDP), just not by CDPR.

There won't be a Witcher 2 for PC. There will be a Witcher 2 for consoles that gets a PC port. Haven't you learned the pattern by now? Game 1 comes out on PC and then console port comes out later. Game 2 comes out designed for consoles. I don't know of one single example where a multiplatform PC sequel has been better than the PC exclusive original.

Dunno, given that they are completely redesigning the gameplay to be more consolish, I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the gameplay system for the PC and consoles separately as well in TW2.

hiver

doctor_kaz said:
hiver said:

There won't be a Witcher 2 for PC. There will be a Witcher 2 for consoles that gets a PC port. Haven't you learned the pattern by now? Game 1 comes out on PC and then console port comes out later. Game 2 comes out designed for consoles. And I don't know of one single example where a multiplatform PC sequel has been better than the PC exclusive original.

Maybe. Certainly it can turn out that way but so far i dont see it.
Seems to me they know quite well who is their main audience thus far.

Anyway i was commenting on combat combos apparently being broken into offensive and defensive "moves" you can control yourself and upgrading behavior and abilities of monsters and enemies.

That was something I wanted to see from the first time i played it.

Considering all they have done (gog especially) they still have credit in my book until they prove me wrong.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lingwe said:
We’ve completely redesigned the combat system to be more in-line with players’ expectations on consoles.

So they've changed it to first person view?
Console games are mainly third person.

PC games are the ones that are dominantly first-person.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
hiver said:
Maybe. Certainly it can turn out that way but so far i dont see it.
Seems to me they know quite well who is their main audience thus far.

I heard that one before. It's an oldie but a goodie!!!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
doctor_kaz said:
And I don't know of one single example where a multiplatform PC sequel has been better than the PC exclusive original.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2>Half-Life 2: Episode 1

doctor_kaz said:
And I don't know of one single example where a multiplatform PC sequel has been better than the PC exclusive original.

Hitman 2, Hitman Blood Money. Both far better than Codename 47 which was PC exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom