Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout 3 - Best Game of 2008

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/ugos_game_of_the_year_awards_2008/">According to UGO, Fallout 3 deserves top honours</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Shoulder-mounted nuclear launchers, super mutants with exploding heads and the ability to wipe an entire town from existence. Fallout 3 grabs you by the collar and doesn’t let go for about 50 hours. It is one of the most complete, satisfying and enjoyable games in years.</blockquote>
<br>
IT'S COLLAR GRABBING FUN!
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Gamebanshee</a>

Nah. Credit must be given where it's due. Fallout 3 is both a better game and a better rpg than Mass Effect. Mass Effect is probably Bioware's best console effort, but the setting and characters are too generic and forgettable, so I still prefer KOTOR, which only had a half-crappy roster.

Drakron

Arcane
I agree, KotOR is saved by being Star Wars ... easy to shallow considering the setting.

Fallout 3 is a flawed product but it had a lot of good ideas that make it work, it could be a lot better but in 2008? I really do not see much competition.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fallout 3 is both a better game and a better rpg than Mass Effect."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"so I still prefer KOTOR"

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Only a moron thinks KOTOR is a better game - RPG or otherwise - than ME.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"ME was a RPG?"

Action RPG, and its RPg part is vastly superior to KOTOR's. Not to mention its combat, story, characters, graphics, music, voiceovers, dialogue, originality, and the list goes on.

Balor

Arcane
For some reason, I tend to agree with Volourn, even as I completed Kotor and didn't - ME.
Because I forced myself to complete Kotor and just didn't - ME. They are at least equal when it comes to mediocre writing and cheezy sci-fi settings, but with ME having better graphics and 'extreme collar grabbing'.

Kotor 2 is better RPG (not a better game, though) by miles and miles then ME and Kotor1 combined, but it was not made by Bioware.

notnats

Novice
Volourn said:
"ME was a RPG?"

Action RPG, and its RPg part is vastly superior to KOTOR's. Not to mention its combat, story, characters, graphics, music, voiceovers, dialogue, originality, and the list goes on.

Yeah, ME its elfish, latex commandos, I can see your point.

notnats

Novice
Balor said:
For some reason, I tend to agree with Volourn, even as I completed Kotor and didn't - ME.
Because I forced myself to complete Kotor and just didn't - ME. They are at least equal when it comes to mediocre writing and cheezy sci-fi settings, but with ME having better graphics and 'extreme collar grabbing'.

Well but KOTOR at least had the SW setting as an excuse, what excuse does ME have?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
notnats said:
Balor said:

Well but KOTOR at least had the SW setting as an excuse, what excuse does ME have?

It's a Bioware game.

Rhalle

Magister
DarkUnderlord said:
<a href="http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/ugos_game_of_the_year_awards_2008/">According to UGO, Fallout 3 deserves top honours</a>:
<blockquote>Shoulder-mounted nuclear launchers: kids lub explosions
super mutants with exploding heads: and gratuitous gore
the ability to wipe an entire town from existence: and scripted explosions
Fallout 3 grabs you by the collar: like a real RPG
doesn’t let go for about 50 hours: Bethesda's last game was 200 hours
It is one of the most complete: except for the ending and other stuff witheld for DLC
satisfying: if you say so
and enjoyable: maybe for an hour or so
games in years: it's not.</blockquote>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Gamebanshee</a>

FTFY

Fallout 3 will win several GOTY's for sure. But-- inadequate as it is-- ME was the best RPG this year.

Volourn said:
Only a moron thinks KOTOR is a better game - RPG or otherwise - than ME.

I admitted in my post that Mass Effect was probably their best console effort, but stated that I had a preference for KOTOR.

For the record, though, if I were to make up some sort of top 10 RPGs list for myself, I don't think either game would be on there.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Even before I read this thread, my opinion when reading the topic before I clicked the link was, "How was Fallout 3 better than Mass Effect over all?" I didn't think it was. I was going back and forth between my PC and my laptop playing Mass Effect as two different characters. With Fallout 3, I couldn't really bring myself to play two games at the same time with two different characters. In fact, I couldn't even bring myself to replay Fallout 3 a second time. When I was at work, I rarely thought to myself, "I can't wait to get home and play Fallout 3." I was looking forward to getting home and playing Mass Effect.

That's not to say I wasn't annoyed by things in Mass Effect, and that's not to say there aren't some things that Fallout 3 did better than Mass Effect. Overall, I enjoyed Mass Effect more.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I admitted in my post that Mass Effect was probably their best console effort, but stated that I had a preference for KOTOR."

This just proves your ignorance. You admit ME is the better game yet admit to prefering KOTOR. The logic does not make sense.

"That's not to say I wasn't annoyed by things in Mass Effect"

Well, yeah, definitely some annoying things in ME. *cough* inventory *cough* But, that's true for any game I've ever played.

Mr Happy

Scholar
I think I have only played 2 games from 2008: Mass Effect, and Rock Band 2 at a friends house. Mass Effect was pretty mediocre, I could not bring myself to finish (though it was better in pretty much every way than KOTOR). So, I guess that means Rock Band 2 is Game of the Year 08.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect is better than F3. At least ME looks good and has 2-3 good voice-actors.

Also I wonder just how much money did Beth spend on bribing these mediawhores?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
How many friggin' times can somebody:
A) Blow up heads in VATS
B) Fire some piss-poor representation of a shoulder-mounted, nuclear...thing launcher
C) Blow up Megaton?
and still enjoy it?

Honestly, who the fuck writes these articles? I'm baffled. There is honestly no end to human idiocy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom