Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2D vs 3D

What do you prefer?

• 2D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mareus

Magister
This was probably discussed around here, but let us reopen this interesting subject again. This will be a long rant, but hopefully some of you will bare with me.

In the last couple of years I don't remember any successful 2D titles on PC and if there were any, they were few. Adventures, RPGs, strategies, etc... everything is being done in 3D today. I have searched the internet for possible explanations for this atrocity and to be completely honest, most explanations seem like a bunch of bollocks. For example, some people say 2D games are harder to make, but even if this was true, it is hardly an excuse not to make 2D games anymore. Another question that arises when someone claims 3D is easier to make, is why are then the expenses for making a game today so high? If something is easier to make, one would come to a logical conclusion that it will shorten the development time and with that the cost of making a game would also be smaller. Yet, we are all aware it is not so and the numbers speak for themselves. For me the problem lies in the gaming industry itself. We are all aware the gaming industry makes a lot of money otherwise no one would be making games anymore. Yet I believe 80% of all sales are restricted just to the top twenty, meaning there's a lot of games out there that aren't getting bought.

To me, this indicates that people are buying the big names, sequels, and sure bets because, well let us be honest, who wants to waste $50 or $60 on something you might not like. Whereas you may buy a DVD on a whim since it is not only a lot cheaper, but you are most of the times buying something you have already seen either in cinema or somewhere else and therefore know what you are buying. A game at the current pricing is much more of an investment and people just can't afford to buy something that might turn out to be shit. This stimulates people to either not buy too many games, or stimulates other ways of acquiring games (piracy). I believe a change in the way publishers approach the customers would make a long way in reducing these problems. For example, if you were allowed to return the game you didn't like after 2 weeks, less lying in the media, less bribes for getting the big scores, better gaming journalism, lower prices, etc... These things would solve many problems and people would not only spend more money on games, but they would also be more willing to try something else except the sure bets...

However I understand why publishers do these things. They feel they have no choice. They have to be in that "top 20" to make any money. They wouldn't have to if they would finally realize that they're they the ones that caused these problems. But as it is, most money will go for advertisment and graphic department.

Anyway, let me return to my topic. 2D vs 3D. Let us say that the premise of 2D games being harder to make is true. I am unfortunately not qualified to give my own opinion on this matter, however I have noticed a few things that make me believe this cannot be completely true.
1. (This does not apply for some games) As technology progressed, the characters also started to look a lot more realistic and as the characters started to look more realistic, the lack of certain details became more and more apparent. For example, in most 2D games the camera is hovering very far from the characters, so even if you cannot see their eyes and lips it does not bother you so much, but in 3D games most of the time camera tries to force you as close to the action as possible. Now you can see the eyes, the nose, the mouth and all those nice features. But if there is no voice, if there is no movement, if there is no lip synchronization the character looks less alive instead of more alive. Many 3D games use the same character models for different characters and while this was not a problem in 2D games where the camera is hovering 50 m above ground it sure is a problem in 3D games which try to put you in the action.

Solution: Making more 3D models, giving voices to the characters
Result: Higher production cost, more annoying for the gamer than standard 2D
Bottom line: Is 2D really harder to make? Is it more expensive, since 3D is forcing you to spend your money on other things you could easily avoid in 2D?

2. Since 3D became the standard, the quality and depth of games has rapidly declined. Now, not all will agree with me on this, but I believe all the invention in gaming was done in the 90's. Does this have to do anything with 3D or not, I cannot say with certianty, but I find it very intriguing that a lot of games have not survived their transformation from 2D into 3D very well. Party based 3D RPGs like NWN2 and MotB cannot compare in their gameplay with Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Broken Sword when it jumped into 3D, it lost a lot of it's charm and gameplay. While you could play Broken Sword 1 and 2 with just one hand using 2 mouse buttons, in Broken Sword 3D you had to use both hands and 10 different buttons to do the same things you could do in the previous installments with just one hand and 2 buttons. Discworld 1,2 featured beautiful graphics and animations with intuitive mouse controls. Discworld Noir 3D kept the mouse control, but unfortunately the graphic animations were a horror. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 transformation into 3D made the gameplay worse, since in the previous installments you had a much better view on the map than you had in this new 3D version. Since some genres just don't work so well in 3D as they work in 2D there has been a less and less variation in games, and some genres have almost disappeared.

Bottom line: Whether or not 3D gaming is to blame for the decline of the games, 2D is still needed for the sake of diversity and some games just work better in 2D, so why change EVERYTHING to 3D?

3. I definitely think games can be better with more limitations on graphics. The developers are then forced to make the game fun instead of relying on the allure of fancy graphics. It's certainly possible to maintain artistry within a more realistic 3D setting, but it certainly occurs more rarely since very often the developers just use copy/paste method in creating their world.

Bottom line: The comparrison of some 10 year old 2D games with some new 3D screenshots also proves how 2D does not mean the graphic has to suffer. If only the technology did not neglect 2D completely, I wonder what would 2D games look like today and if they would still be harder to make like some people claim?

4. Even if 3D was completely superior to 2D I believe we still need 2D games nevertheless. Does anyone here miss old hand drawn Tom&Jerry cartoons? I sure do, because they have a charm of their own. I love some new 3D cartoons like The Incredibles, but why can't we have both? The same goes for 2D games. I love some 3D games like Deus Ex, The Withcer, even NWN2 and MotB, despite using them as an example how their gameplay cannot be compared with the gameplay of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

With this I end this long post and I hope for some Codexian wisdom on this matter.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Depends on the game and on the genre. However 2d seems to age much more graciously. I have a small preference to 2d, though duke nukem 3d sure as hell looks a lot worse than quake 1 today.

Mareus

Magister
Cloaked Figure said:
Whether you like to admit it or not, oblivion visuals with a good art style and story is the ideal rpg.
I hope you are trying to be sarcastic. LOL!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say that in terms of gameplay and interface it makes little difference in RPGs. (also, the difference in the gameplay between NWN2 and IE games is purely about level design: The dungeons are too easy in NWN2. And the gameplay in BG series wasn't that great outside of mage duels and dragon fights to begin with)

As for graphics aging... A pre-rendered 2D background stays pretty, but the possibilities of a 3D environment overshadow it.

But 2D does have something 3D doesn't... The 2D look:

fightingarticle_kofxii.jpg

720p fully pencil-drawn by hand baby!

mondblut

Arcane
The more abstract the graphical presentation is, the more features can be done with it without many expenses on coding time and graphical assets. Case in point: ASCII roguelikes (although I can't stand looking at them), no graphical game can remotely approach them in sheer amount of features, except maybe the most minimalistic tile-based ones (which still demand tons of graphics to do to match those features).

Just today we had a brief talk concerning how much programming, modelling and animating man months would it take to make our 3d characters occasionally sit down on our 3d chairs. Something which Ultima V programmers and artists did in probably less than a day back in 1987, because they were working with 2d tiles, not with gridless 3d levels and animated 3d models.

2d = one dimension less in presentation, one dimension more in content.

the only problem is character animation and equipment.

With 3D its so easy just to put the sword model in the character models hand.
With 2D you have to come up with a sophisticated technique for drawing weapons on top of the 2d character or...not bothering with changing the 2d Sprite altogether.

2D art assets are easier to manage and 2d gfx allow for larger worlds with more diversity.
As seen by morrowind its difficult to tile 3d terrains.
so cut and paste is in order.

3D models are better for certain things like ragdoll animation, changing camera angles, easy calculation of line-of-sight,
but overall 2D graphics dont need as much effort to look good.

2D games are a bit easier to make though, so I dont know who said 3D was easier

Another thing is the camera, it can be difficult for the programmers when overwhelmed with so many options to make bad decisions with the camera angles.

Mareus

Magister
Why not have both then? Why not have 2D backgrounds and 3D characters. I believe many games have already implemented this method and the graphic was absolutely fantastic. I believe ToEE, Sacred, Divine Divinity, etc.. used that method. Some console games too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mareus said:
Why not have both then? Why not have 2D backgrounds and 3D characters. I believe many games have already implemented this method and the graphic was absolutely fantastic. I believe ToEE, Sacred, Divine Divinity, etc.. used that method. Some console games too.
I'd say 2D characters and 3D environs. More advantages that way.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Mareus said:
How is that? Any example?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
inwoker said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Mareus said:

Dark Omen. I think Shogun Total War had it too. It looks surprisingly good. Basically you just draw sprites from several angles and apply those whenever the camera is in the matching angle. You could have a ridiculous amount of units on screen with this method.

Mareus

Magister
inwoker said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Mareus said:
Doom1 anyone? LOL!

EDIT:

Kingston, I believe Dark Omen was fully 3D. Same goes for Shogun.

Fez

Erudite
Shogun Total War used tiny 2D people with a 3D landscape. It wasn't until Rome that they had fully 3D characters. Dark Omen was the same.

Mareus

Magister
Fez said:
Shogun Total War used tiny 2D people with a 3D landscape. It wasn't until Rome that they had fully 3D characters. Dark Omen was the same.
Oh well. My bad then.

Mareus

Magister
phanboy_iv said:
Completely irrelevant. Gameplay and art direction are much more important than 2D/3D controversies.
But there is certain indication that 2D/3D controversy affects the aforementioned game play. I named some examples, and believe me there are many more. Some things just work better in 2D, just like some things work better in 3D. I believe neither is superior and both are needed, but the problem is that today only 3D is present.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Mareus said:
phanboy_iv said:
Completely irrelevant. Gameplay and art direction are much more important than 2D/3D controversies.
But there is certain indication that 2D/3D controversy affects the aforementioned game play. I named some examples, and believe me there are many more. Some things just work better in 2D, just like some things work better in 3D. I believe neither is superior and both are needed, but the problem is that today only 3D is present.

Yes, true, true. I just get tired of people saying "Oh, It needs to be 3D or it's old-fashioned".

When I look at a game, 2D/3D doesn't factor into it for me. If the idea behind the game works, if it's fun, if the art direction is good, that's all I care about. Boyarsky's response to the Diablo 3 camera angle "controversy" applies here as well, I think.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I'm pretty sure the whole 'graphics/gameplay' thing is one of those false dichotomies.

3. I definitely think games can be better with more limitations on graphics. The developers are then forced to make the game fun instead of relying on the allure of fancy graphics. It's certainly possible to maintain artistry within a more realistic 3D setting, but it certainly occurs more rarely since very often the developers just use copy/paste method in creating their world.

Really? Isn't that a failure of the devs rather than the style? Furthermore, dodgy fanmade jarpugs made in glorious RPGMaker 2d - where you have to hand 'draw' all the maps yourself - kind of disprove your point. Anything can be shit if the developer doesn't try hard enough.
Another thing - I think the most fun I've ever had exploring a game's world was with Gothic II, especially with the NotR expansion. I got a lot from Ultima VI and VII too (ooh, and Savage Empires), but when it comes down to it - it is easier to create unique, atmospheric locations in a 3d engine. Oblivion aside.

Mareus

Magister
Lord Rocket said:
I'm pretty sure the whole 'graphics/gameplay' thing is one of those false dichotomies.

Really? Isn't that a failure of the devs rather than the style? Furthermore, dodgy fanmade jarpugs made in glorious RPGMaker 2d - where you have to hand 'draw' all the maps yourself - kind of disprove your point. Anything can be shit if the developer doesn't try hard enough.
Another thing - I think the most fun I've ever had exploring a game's world was with Gothic II, especially with the NotR expansion. I got a lot from Ultima VI and VII too (ooh, and Savage Empires), but when it comes down to it - it is easier to create unique, atmospheric locations in a 3d engine. Oblivion aside.
Here is where we disagree, since I found Gothic world as interesting as the world from Oblivion, maybe even less since most of the time I was too busy running from enemies. I know those people who work and stuff is a nice touch, but goddamn that game is too hard to be enjoyable. And it too had it's share of blocky characters with stupid 3D camera that gets behind walls and what not, so please give a better example. For me one of the best atmospheric games was Planescape Torment and it was done in 2D. Nothing ever came close to that atmosphere although you couldn't see what the characters were really doing. Blame it on superb writing, but I doubt that would work for a game like Gothic since it is in 3D right behind the character in the middle of the action. And easier does not make it better. And I am pretty sure that you can make even more realistic world in 2D. Again my example is PST, BG, Icewind Dale, etc.. where every building is different. In combination with 3D character models the possibilites are limitless.

DraQ

Arcane
Kingcomrade.

2D obviously ages better, because it has achieved maximum available visual complexity for given resolution. 2D also scales worse, has much less flexibility, and more limitations.

Thankfully, in many cases 2D was sufficient - terrain tends to be mostly a 2D surface deformed in third dimension, buildings are usually easily divided into levels, etc. - but this is not always a case. My favourite example would be trying to make a cRPG set in Niven's Smokering - you just can't do it in 2D. Similarly, Morrowind in 2D would be fucking bland - you'd lose all the z-axis that helped make the exploration so interesting in this game

And I wouldn't say no to Witcher/MW style (visually, I wouldn't want MW's dialogue mechanics) PS:T remake - with good art direction it would be heavan.

Of course, I still prefer written to voiced dialogue - not because I dislike good voiced dialogue and prefer written dialogue instead, quite the contrary. However, in this case, the newer approach is also the more limiting one, at least in cases where the characters have a lot to say.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
As much as I enjoy 2D, I prefer 3D myself. If the artists do their job right the game can look damned beautiful. Take Okami, for example. A PS2 game released a while back but it looks far more visually appealing than something like Gears of War.

Dmitron

Arbiter
As someone who pays the rent creating 3D graphics, I'd have to say I prefer..2D.

mondblut

Arcane
Slenkar said:
the only problem is character animation and equipment.
With 3D its so easy just to put the sword model in the character models hand.
With 2D you have to come up with a sophisticated technique for drawing weapons on top of the 2d character or...not bothering with changing the 2d Sprite altogether.

Not really any longer. 3d was an equipment heavan several years ago, when characters were combined out of separate blocks (hands, legs etc) so millions of equipment combinations were possible. They, of course, also suffered from clunky animations and stuff falling through other stuff.

Nowadays it is considered not next gen enough, every character should be modelled whole as an unique asset and every piece of equipment manually skinned onto every model. Which in a reasonably financed game means having barely a couple of dozens of character models, only a handful of armors and helmets and no such thing as boots, gauntlets etc at all. All hail the progress. Only the weapons are more or less plentiful as attaching them means just assigning a bone or two where it should stick to hands.

As for me, the Fallout/BG scheme with 3-4 generic armored sprites x 5-6 generic weapon sprites is perfectly fine. I don't really need the sprite to show off whether it wields a long or a short sword and what kind of a plate mail it wears, just sword and plate is enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom