Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Andhaira finds out about Knights of the Chalice

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Knights of the Chalice

<p>Local Codexian Andhaira sent some questions to Knights of the Chalice creator Pierre Begue. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=190">Here's what Pierre said about his upcoming indie RPG</a>:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Knights of the Chalice is a traditional 2D RPG where you create a party of heroes and embark on a series of adventures in a fantasy world. The game features tactical turn-based combat, a good AI and user-friendly interface. It is based on the Open Game Content 3.5 from Wizards of the Coast.</p>
<p>If that sounds like something you might be interested in, <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=190">be sure to read the rest</a>.</p>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I smell conspiracy, these questions are not inane.

Also, somehow the phrase "Local Codexian Andhaira" made me laughalot.

denizsi

Arcane
Too many modern cRPGs deal with combat as if it was a non-essential part of the game that should be over as quickly as possible.

He's gotta be kidding. Combat has been the backbone and the ultimate playing feature of literally any RPG released to date, with just a few exceptions. Especially the AAA blockbusters. Other than purposeless sandbox exploration, there's nothing but combat to these games.

The quests are just what you would expect from real people; if a village is invaded by lizardmen, you will be asked to push them back, and if slavers are thought to be hiding in an ancient stockade, you will be asked to investigate. In my opinion it is more important for a quest to be heroic than to be original.

Ok, the guy seems to have a hard on about heroic guys doing heroic deeds, but what happened to heroic guys having a dilemma, or heroic deeds turning out to be not so heroic after all? Maybe the lizardmen were only trying to take back their own land, which the humans took by force earlier and slaughtered lizardmen in doing so?

Yes, if this is financially viable I would like to make another game using the same engine with improvements such as the trip combat action, swallow whole monster ability, new terrain like deadly chasms, more character classes and races, etc

That's something I'd love to see in a game. A character being eaten right at the spot because you played like an idiot. None of the 2000s idiocy like 0 HP = unconscious or a huge carnivore with a bigger mouth than all your characters combined, making baby claw attacks on you. Might as well add to the list a giant stepping on characters to kill them.

bobisimo

Novice
denizsi said:
He's gotta be kidding. Combat has been the backbone and the ultimate playing feature of literally any RPG released to date, with just a few exceptions. Especially the AAA blockbusters. Other than purposeless sandbox exploration, there's nothing but combat to these games.

It sounds like he is just saying that there's nothing exciting to those combats. Isn't that kind of true? I mean, you run up, spam a button to attack, and then race to the next fight. It sounds like he wants to go back to the gold box style. I remember going through an hour-long fight in Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds just to figure out the strategy for that fight. What game does that now? He also said that he like strategy games, but hates the increased micromanagement as you progress. I think that tells exactly what he's hoping to accomplish.

denizsi said:
Ok, the guy seems to have a hard on about heroic guys doing heroic deeds, but what happened to heroic guys having a dilemma, or heroic deeds turning out to be not so heroic after all? Maybe the lizardmen were only trying to take back their own land, which the humans took by force earlier and slaughtered lizardmen in doing so?

I interpreted that as a) I don't have time to do a game with lots of options like that and b) it doesn't fit the story I want to tell, which is a straight-forward story about heroic knights on a heroic quest. I'm fine with all that, so long as it is interesting and good.

I haven't played a gold box game since they first came out. I remember spending hours pulling my hair out with them. There's a part of me that wants to appreciate the nostalgia of a new game using that old style. There's also a part of me that wants to appreciate combat to that level of strategy. Guess we'll see if it shapes up to be worth playing. :)

Tuco

Novice
denizsi said:
Too many modern cRPGs deal with combat as if it was a non-essential part of the game that should be over as quickly as possible.

I think you're wrong.
Many modern RPGs are combat oriented, that's true.
But this doesn't mean they have a polished, compelling combat.
Usually they are casual shit with no challange, wich you can run throught without any care.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
From what I understand KotC did do OK but not so well that the Developer could quit his dayjob, now before he will work on KotC2, he will release an unrelated RTS game. Sounds a bit crazy I know :D

So KotC2 will happen just probably not anytime soon.

/e: from the official Website:
Heroic Fantasy Games said:
29 April 2012. Since I'm cleaning up my website's files I might as well update this (very irregular) announcements page. Considering how the Fantasy World Engine is such a huge project, I've set myself a shorter-term goal, to make a 2D real-time strategy game with a map and campaign editor.

I've worked on this for a good while now. All I have left to code is the function of buildings, win and lose conditions, some interface for game and campaign saving and loading, a minimap, help files, and all of the artificial intelligence.

And after that I'll have to paint a set of good maps with the editor, playtest them, finalise Windows, Linux and Mac versions, update the website, release the game, do the marketing, and then finally I may be able to work on Fantasy Work Engine - with the advantage of having more experience and a lot of flexible classes ready for re-use.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Maybe the lizardmen were only trying to take back their own land, which the humans took by force earlier and slaughtered lizardmen in doing so?"

L0L Settlers vs Indiians.

Take your real life PCness and shove it up your candy ass.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Kill yourself. Seriously, kill yourself. This biowarean humans are evil self loathing shit is getting tiresome. Fucking Poland.

Norfleet

I dunno, one can mock heroic tropes without digging up self-loathing PC-ness. I mean, just look at the current LP: Has anyone actually pondered the logistics of a band of escaped slaves trying to navigate their way across the desert to get home? They don't bother to ask you for directions or supplies anything, they just sort of bugger off the moment you unchain them. What are the odds that they wind up dying of thirst in the desert? Because they sure as hell aren't hiding supplies for a trek home across the desert in their prisoner rags, and they sure as hell didn't get them from YOU, seeing as YOU only have supplies for a band of your size, and NOT about a dozen additional people...

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

Kill yourself. Seriously, kill yourself. This biowarean humans are evil self loathing shit is getting tiresome. Fucking Poland.

:notsureifserious:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
KOTC was awesome. How I wish KOTC2 could have Grimrock, or Eschalon level grafix. :graphicwhore:

Former won't be possible though, as Grimrock was made by a team of 4 dudes. Also, I don't think he made enough money to afford Eschalon level artwork and shit, or whatever.

UNLESS....

Has anyone bothered telling him about Kickstarter? If there is ONE game that could use massive Kickstarter funding, it's Fantasy Worlds Engine aka KOTC2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes and Pierre can't use Kickstarter because he's not in the US. He could use Indiegogo I think.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
KOTC was awesome. How I wish KOTC2 could have Grimrock, or Eschalon level grafix. :graphicwhore:

Former won't be possible though, as Grimrock was made by a team of 4 dudes. Also, I don't think he made enough money to afford Eschalon level artwork and shit, or whatever.

UNLESS....

Has anyone bothered telling him about Kickstarter? If there is ONE game that could use massive Kickstarter funding, it's Fantasy Worlds Engine aka KOTC2.

There's a rather lengthy discussion about this on his forums.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=386

In short he doesn't believe indiegogo can raise the 100K he needs to ensure the outcome (true that once you've started, you can't go back).

DraQ

Arcane

:notsureifserious:
Volourn and Mastermind.
giorgio-hair1.jpg

The quests are just what you would expect from real people; if a village is invaded by lizardmen, you will be asked to push them back, and if slavers are thought to be hiding in an ancient stockade, you will be asked to investigate. In my opinion it is more important for a quest to be heroic than to be original.

Yes, if this is financially viable I would like to make another game using the same engine with improvements such as the trip combat action, swallow whole monster ability, new terrain like deadly chasms, more character classes and races, etc

That's something I'd love to see in a game. A character being eaten right at the spot because you played like an idiot. None of the 2000s idiocy like 0 HP = unconscious or a huge carnivore with a bigger mouth than all your characters combined, making baby claw attacks on you. Might as well add to the list a giant stepping on characters to kill them.
I dunno, one can mock heroic tropes without digging up self-loathing PC-ness. I mean, just look at the current LP: Has anyone actually pondered the logistics of a band of escaped slaves trying to navigate their way across the desert to get home? They don't bother to ask you for directions or supplies anything, they just sort of bugger off the moment you unchain them. What are the odds that they wind up dying of thirst in the desert? Because they sure as hell aren't hiding supplies for a trek home across the desert in their prisoner rags, and they sure as hell didn't get them from YOU, seeing as YOU only have supplies for a band of your size, and NOT about a dozen additional people...
:bro: & :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom