Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dwarves Go Next-Gen!

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

And by that, I mean they stay mostly the same in, you guessed it, Dragon Age. The official website <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/world_orzammar.html">profiles the last of the underground Dwarven cities</a>.<blockquote>History tells us that the dwarven kingdoms once spread across all of Thedas, and that the underground city–fortresses called thaigs were almost beyond counting. Kal–Sharok was the capital then, home to all the noble houses, and Orzammar was simply the home of the miner and smith castes. It is an awe–inspiring sight, a great city of stone standing within a vast cavern, poised over a sea of molten lava. There the forges ring loudest, and the finest smiths create works that are the envy of all races. Countless thaigs were lost in the first Blight, when the darkspawn poured out of the Deep Roads like smoke. With each generation, more of the Deep Roads had to be sealed, more thaigs lost forever. Now only Orzammar stands—the last bastion of the dwarven race and its finest creation.</blockquote>Remember, as long as you use a goofy made-up word for something, you can pass anything off as fantastic and exotic.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Ashery

Prophet
...I now have a sudden urge to play Dwarf Fortress and go looking for HFS...

Qkieu

Educated
*Sigh*

Sounds so original... Warhammer's Old World anyone? (with the slight difference that dwarves over there have some more karaks left)

Qkieu said:
*Sigh*

Sounds so original... Warhammer's Old World anyone? (with the slight difference that dwarves over there have some more karaks left)

Try every game/book that has Dwarven history back to Tolkien. There was a Great Dwarven Capital. Alas, it is overthrown and full of monsters now. Only some lesser settlements still exist. You will have to travel through/defeat the evil therein/find the magical foozle deep within the once proud halls.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Didn´t they say something about building an original world that isn´t you standard bread-n-butter fantasy when they first announced the game?

EDIT: Oh and this:

poocolator said:
WTF Iwas happy because I thought this was about dwarf fortress newest release. damnit

Qkieu

Educated
Blackadder said:
Try every game/book that has Dwarven history back to Tolkien. There was a Great Dwarven Capital. Alas, it is overthrown and full of monsters now. Only some lesser settlements still exist. You will have to travel through/defeat the evil therein/find the magical foozle deep within the once proud halls.

Totally agree but Warhammer is the first thing that cames to my mind. Maybe because it's the last paper RPG I am still playing.

Out of every 20 RPGs, you'll find maybe 1 or 2 where Dwarves aren't a shattered remnant of their former glory, playing side-kick to those ever expansion-loving humans.

Or they're all just straight out dead, and their old homes are museums, or monster nests. Sucks to be Dwarves.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Out of every 20 RPGs, you'll find maybe 1 or 2 where Dwarves aren't a shattered remnant of their former glory, playing side-kick to those ever expansion-loving humans.

Or they're all just straight out dead, and their old homes are museums, or monster nests. Sucks to be Dwarves.

If you played dwarf fortress you knew why that is so. Dwarves have a tendency to abandon their towns when they are complete, and some even build doomsday devices with water or lava which are set off if no more obstacles can be overcome.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
At least Divine Divinity had a dwarf village in open air. Very simple but terribly refreshing.

Data4

Arcane
Although not exactly, the "dwarves" in Mortal Online take design cues more from Norse mythology than the standard midget, bearded, alcoholic Scottsmen.

Blainn.jpg

Just thought I'd toss that one out there. At least someone's trying to be different.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It also reminded me of Warhammer. Even more - it was same as reading Warhammer lore, wtf?! This seems to be most generic fantasy world of "original fantasy worlds."

Dwarf Fortress rules though :P

Micmu

Magister
I clicked here in a good faith for some Dwarf Fortress GUI, etc, yet it is another inane ass age info (give-a-fuck-o-meter says 0).

Learn to name threads, bitch.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jaesun said:
How incredibly original Bioware!

Yeah. Same as in Warhammer. Same as in Middle-Earth. Same as in Arcanum. Same as in Forgotten Realms. Same as in... you get the point.

Data4, shameless Mortal Online plug. Wonder if dwarves will have monster cocks as well?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though when it comes to the details of the reason of dwarf :decline:, DA most certainly just went and right out copy-pasted from Warhammer.

Kron

Arcane
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU - I seriously thought this had something to do with Dwarf Fortress.

So, THAIGS, huh?
Sounds like they used a random word generator.

Balor

Arcane
Damn, an other one tricked into thinking it is DF news... at least almost tricked, cause I'm on RSS and nothing like that was in the news.

Well, next DF release WILL be epic. I may take a few more month, but I really itching to play it. I mean, the combat and wound system now can rival military simulators AND you can finally see combat details in the Fortress mode!

Oh, the g(l)orious combat logs!

Saxon1974

Prophet
Does anyone else get less and less interested in Dragon Age the more advertising and PR they see? It's so bad I might ban the game completely.

Horrible PR on top of what looks like a horrible game. Now Im betting it will sell millions.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Does anyone else get less and less interested in Dragon Age the more advertising and PR they see?
Kind-of. They made "we're dark, gritty, mature and original" statement long time ago and I have yet to see anything backing it up. It's like making dwarfs called dwurfs and voila - you have original world :/

Topic should be "Dwarves stay the same."

It will sell millions Saxon.
I don't think that anyone here doubts that DA will be financial success.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Saxon1974 said:
Does anyone else get less and less interested in Dragon Age the more advertising and PR they see?
Did anyone had any interest on it to begin with? It's Bioware we're talking about here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom