Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dwarves Go Next-Gen!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
Saxon1974 said:
Does anyone else get less and less interested in Dragon Age the more advertising and PR they see?
Did anyone had any interest on it to begin with? It's Bioware we're talking about here.

I *honestly* believed Bioware would make an original and unique fantasy setting.

At least a bit more unique and original than this new shit.

I've since then removed my rose tinted glasses.

In before volourn. r00fles!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
racofer said:
Saxon1974 said:
Does anyone else get less and less interested in Dragon Age the more advertising and PR they see?
Did anyone had any interest on it to begin with? It's Bioware we're talking about here.

I *honestly* believed Bioware would make an original and unique fantasy setting.
I smelled shit the moment I read the words "dark" and "mature." Those usually mean terribad and immature.

At least my predictions seem to be going in the right way: Bio is ripping off TW and Warhammer.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm-

I haven't read the new info on the Dwarven race in DA: Origins just yet; the new 'regarding' dwarves (so to speak) is that they cannot do magic - AT ALL!
I certainly haven't come across an rpg in which dwarves can't do magic - at all! :!: (then again, I haven't played all rpgs in the world...) Dwarves in DA: Origins mine illyrium, the fumes (I think?) make them immune to magic, both as magiccasters and I guess also from magic being cast upon them?

More to the point (and a possible discussion debate) is why in every game dwarves are seen as an ancient race, once noble, but now forgotten, or nearly forgotten. In Morrowind, dwarves were a long extinct race, in many other games, dwarves were (and are) a high culture that once ruled the land. Has it something to do with the way our current human culture (IRL) is seen?

edit:

I agree that it might seem at a first glance like Bioware is ripping of TW and Warhammer; however, you could also justify saying that Bioware is ripping of the sage of A song of Fire and Ice. The game draws its inspiration from many sources, inculding probably Warhammer, TW and other movies, books, and games. Thuis the DA dwarfes might have been inspired by.... Bioware has then made their own take and vision for dwarfes.

I also agree that the marketing for this game has been terrible, terrible...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
aries202 said:
I haven't read the new info on the Dwarven race in DA: Origins just yet; the new 'regarding' dwarves (so to speak) is that they cannot do magic - AT ALL!

HOLYMOTHERFUCKINGSHITOHGODTHISISAMAZING

Guess this is where the 'low magic' hype speak kicks in.

Ashery

Prophet
DefJam101 said:
God damn you ERM. I was all set for a working real-time 3D graphics mod for DF.

:evil:

There are several third party attempts that come close. An example of 3Dwarf:

the-city-300.jpg

While 3Dwarf is static, there's actually a program out there that creates a dynamic image and actually allows you to issue basic commands through the program, but I can't recall the name of it. The main problem with these types of programs is that they lack models for most objects so images are best taken from a distance like the image above.

Luzur

Good Sir
Data4 said:
Although not exactly, the "dwarves" in Mortal Online take design cues more from Norse mythology than the standard midget, bearded, alcoholic Scottsmen.

Blainn.jpg

Just thought I'd toss that one out there. At least someone's trying to be different.

looks alot like a guy i used to work with, hairy back and all.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
racofer said:
Saxon1974 said:

At least a bit more unique and original than this new shit.

I've since then removed my rose tinted glasses.

In before volourn. r00fles!

Yea I felt the same way. Back it seems like 10 year ago when they said they were spending years on developing a unique world with a unique back story I had high hopes....but everything turned out very high fantasy generic. Damn.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L DA is 'ripping off' TW. that's hialrious cosnidering it's been worked on as loong if not longer. Besdies, there's nothing original about TW, their dwarves, or anything at all. TW is one of the least original games in history.

DA 'heavily borrows' from other sources, though. *shrug* So, does FO, PST, BG, and every other RPG that the Codex slobbers over.

Plus, we all know that at least 75% of the DA raggers on the Codex will buy it, and 20% will steal it. Only 5% will actually not play it.

R00fles!

GO DWARVES GO!

Mystary!

Arcane
Well not many games allow you to be a gutter dwelling dwarf thug running errends for a crime boss who tries to rape your sister.

Durwyn

Prophet
Volourn said:
L0L DA is 'ripping off' TW. that's hialrious cosnidering it's been worked on as loong if not longer. Besdies, there's nothing original about TW, their dwarves, or anything at all. TW is one of the least original games in history.
!

And you know that TW is based on books from early 90s ?

Weresloth

Novice
They should have just forgotten about generic dwarves and instead included something original like post apocalyptic zombies!

Black

Arcane
Durwyn said:
Volourn said:
!

Oh god, deja vu
lotrdb.jpg

Tuonela

Novice
Durwyn said:

Tho the first english translation of his Witcher books was in 2007, at least I couldn't find any info on anything been translated before that. I hadn't heard of him before the game was being made. So Bioware probably had no idea of the Witcher world untill the game came along.

DA dwarves may seem generic on the surface, but there are some interesting aspects to their society. Like the casteless, violent politics between the noble houses etc.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarves

Durwyn

Prophet
Tuonela said:
Durwyn said:

Tho the first english translation of his Witcher books was in 2007, at least I couldn't find any info on anything been translated before that. I hadn't heard of him before the game was being made. So Bioware probably had no idea of the Witcher world untill the game came along.

So fuckin what? It's all generic tolkienesque shit. TW books are not the pinnacle of originality. They're great, with dark, non-heroic vibe, but they're not original.

Tuonela

Novice
Durwyn said:
So fuckin what? It's all generic tolkienesque shit. TW books are not the pinnacle of originality. They're great, with dark, non-heroic vibe, but they're not original.

Well it matters on the point of DA ripping off The Witcher, which was Volourn's point in that part.

Durwyn

Prophet
Tuonela said:
Durwyn said:

Well it matters on the point of DA ripping off The Witcher, which was Volourn's point in that part.

The witcher was translated to many other languages before english translation. World does not use only english.

Tuonela

Novice
Durwyn said:
Tuonela said:

The witcher was translated to many other languages before english translation. World does not use only english.

Well it doesn't matter if the people at Bioware (at least the one's who created the world like Gaider) can't read those languages any more than they can read polish.

Durwyn

Prophet
Tuonela said:
Durwyn said:
Tuonela said:

Well it doesn't matter if the people at Bioware (at least the one's who created the world like Gaider) can't read those languages any more than they can read polish.

I'm not arguing with you anymore. I'm drunk and can't think of any witty response. Cheers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom