Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dwarves Go Next-Gen!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Weresloth said:
You really didn't address my points. What does Medieval woman have to do with either of those.

Yes, yes I did. Possibly because DA and ASoIaF both take place in medieval-esque settings?

Now when you say DA is full, do you mean the game or the book by Dave Gaider?

I think your definition of 'inspired' by is different than a lot of peoples. It doesn't mean exactly alike as in 'taking every part of AsoIaF as canon' it means picking and chosing things from that setting that a person finds appealing. Also you are comparing a novel with no graphics to look at to a game (DA) in regards to your women in the field comment. An unfair comparison.

The game as shown so far, and what the book appears to be about. Not like there's much difference between the two, considering that Gaider's responsible for the writing in both. Mr Furry Faggot can cry butthurt all he likes (and does the word cease to have all meaning when a furry faggot uses it...?), but my point is that DA appears to have been inspired by nothing except Bioware's own pile of recycled shitstains.

Jasede said:
Hahahaha, someone who claims to be very literate getting butthurt about some faggy fantasy tripe.

Only on the Codex.

Please be my friend so I can research your sexuality, it is relevant to my interests. =(

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Yes, yes I did. Possibly because DA and ASoIaF both take place in medieval-esque settings?

Don't get stuck on this point. It is a bit irrelevant to a fantasy setting. I do believe you are correct in saying that it stylistically isn't really asoiaf. Not that it matters really. Name dropping aside.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Weresloth said:
Eh? You are replacing a favoured one generalization with one of your choosing or one from another book? I'd say warrior maidens can be muscular and ugly or beautiful or anything inbetween depending on what the author chooses. Take a look at few high performane atheletes, some are beautiful some are not.

Are you fucking retarded? Saying that because Anna Kournikova is hot NOW, she could be as hot in 960 AD is special case of stupid.

Because all modern athletes have enjoyed good nutrition, dental care, skin care, shampoo/conditioner all their lives and can wear make-up and what else. And no one is trying to poke holes into them with sharp objects.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Go read the Maztica Trilogy which happily details human sacriufice where one priest rips the heart of another priest right out.

Dear God, that's like totally hardcore.

Tuonela said:
Lesifoere said:
DA is full of retarded romanticized stupidity.

Such as?

Where the fuck do these retards come from?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Tuonela said:
FeelTheRads said:
Tuonela said:
Lesifoere said:
Such as?

Yeah, it sure is retarded to ask someone back up his assertion with actual examples.

Her, unless Lesifoere is a trap too, and if you need that backed up you are 1) retarded and unable to distinguish quality from shit, because you only need to look at a trailer, 2) clueless, because you have no info whatsoever about the game, 3) worse of all, a Bioware fanboy, who's very much aware of the situation but will deny it and defend it with as many stupid arguments and retorts as possible.

Which of these is YOU?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I was wondering if this thread/the Codex was linked on either RPGWatch or the Bioware boards.

FeelTheRads said:
Go read the Maztica Trilogy which happily details human sacriufice where one priest rips the heart of another priest right out.

Dear God, that's like totally hardcore.

Maztica trilogy is... FR books, and some of the older ones too, published under TSR. Yeah. I can imagine how very hardcore it is, what with TSR's PG-13 code of conduct. Goodness me.

Weresloth

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
Weresloth said:
Eh? You are replacing a favoured one generalization with one of your choosing or one from another book? I'd say warrior maidens can be muscular and ugly or beautiful or anything inbetween depending on what the author chooses. Take a look at few high performane atheletes, some are beautiful some are not.

Are you fucking retarded? Saying that because Anna Kournikova is hot NOW, she could be as hot in 960 AD is special case of stupid.

Because all modern athletes have enjoyed good nutrition, dental care, skin care, shampoo/conditioner all their lives and can wear make-up and what else. And no one is trying to poke holes into them with sharp objects.

Well Anna Kournikova is way down the list of hot but that is another story.
Do you have photos of people from 960 AD? Can you share them?
I think some people are getting confused once again with 'based on' vs reality. If a game is created that claims to be a realistic simulation of that time period. And if it is thouroughly researched that all people were butt ugly, all warriors were carved up and life expectancy was very low do to diet, nutrition and getting carved up you'd have a rather short game.

Fantasy games in general that have magic, divine magic, magic swords, dragons and that kind of stuff generally are not realistic no?

Show me a game that is claiming to be a real world medevial simulation and you can rightfully show your outrage at people being too pretty.

Weresloth

Novice
FeelTheRads said:
Tuonela said:
FeelTheRads said:
Tuonela said:
Lesifoere said:
Such as?

Yeah, it sure is retarded to ask someone back up his assertion with actual examples.

Her, unless Lesifoere is a trap too, and if you need that backed up you are 1) retarded and unable to distinguish quality from shit, because you only need to look at a trailer, 2) clueless, because you have no info whatsoever about the game, 3) worse of all, a Bioware fanboy, who's very much aware of the situation but will deny it and defend it with as many stupid arguments and retorts as possible.

Which of these is YOU?

He, he, good one. Point 1 you only need to look at a trailer to see that something is bad. Point 2 you don't know anything whatsoever about the game if you think it has any possible merit. Quality post!

Tuonela

Novice
FeelTheRads said:

Which of these is YOU?

:D

kris

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:

Lets make a distinction now. Someone that have endured years of fighting and/or got in in years is not likely to be very attactive. Possibly a great body if you like someone athletic.

On the other hand someone young or someone that hasn't seen much real action have a much higher possibility for being attractive.

apart from style this really isn't a problem. Gaider choosed his normal style and most readers want to have the maiden being beautiful.

Witchblade

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:

Yeah, I know i'm a dim-wit, but I seem to have missed something here.

Traits of fantasy
The identifying traits of fantasy are the inclusion of fantastic elements in a self-coherent (internally consistent) setting, where inspiration from mythology and folklore remain a consistent theme.[1] Within such a structure, any location of the fantastical element is possible: it may be hidden in, or leak into the apparently real world setting, it may draw the characters into a world with such elements, or it may occur entirely in a fantasy world setting, where such elements are part of the world.[2]

fan·ta·sy (fnt-s, -z)
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
3. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.
a. Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
b. An example of such fiction.
5. An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
6. An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
7. Music See fantasia.
8. A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.
9. Obsolete A hallucination.
tr.v. fan·ta·sied, fan·ta·sy·ing, fan·ta·sies
To imagine; visualize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English fantasie, fantsy, from Old French fantasie, from Latin phantasia, from Greek phantasi, appearance, imagination, from phantazesthai, to appear, from phantos, visible, from phainesthai, to appear; see bh-1 in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fantasy
Noun
pl -sies
1. a far-fetched idea
2. imagination unrestricted by reality
3. a daydream
4. fiction with a large fantasy content

Sure, they claim to have created a so-called realistic medieval model, yet there are elves and dwarves and magic.. ..ummm, I don't really have space to post the accepted English usage for the term "realism", but something does not gel here. I would suggest we are still talking about a fantasy, as defined above, and as such, if the author can create a creature such as a desire demon or an elf that can do magic, he can surely create a beautiful warrior-maiden too. I don't see the consistency in your argument. It's a fantastical being, like a Unicorn, wtf. And for what it's worth, I like the idea. A beautiful warrior maiden that can renew herself with magic, duh. (Yeah, and in my fantasies, Jeanne D'Arc and Bodicea were beautiful... :lol:

mondblut

Arcane
barker_s said:
I too thought that this news is about Dwarf Fortress, damn you!

+1. Fuck you, OP. From a title I thought DF finally got a frontend with decent graphics and interface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom