Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Todd Howard: 15 years of screwing up Elder Scrolls

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href="http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=159095">Planet Elder Scrolls has an exclusive interview</a> with Todd Howard. After getting through the history lesson at the start, you get to the meat:
<br>
<blockquote><b>What is your name?</b>
<br>
Todd Howard</blockquote>
<br>
Deep. Moving on:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Have previous Elder Scrolls games had an effect on the development of later Elder Scrolls games? And if so, what are some examples?</b>
<br>
Of course. So much of what we do is a reaction to the last game. Just listening to people’s experiences with the previous game flavors what we do with the next one. If you look at Oblivion, the big new things, like the AI or the combat, were a reaction to the key criticisms of Morrowind. At the same time, we really try to do something new in each game. We want to keep the series fresh and usually start a game by trying to make the ‘end-all-be-all RPG’, regardless of what came before. I stay away from +1 sequels. Meaning, ‘it’s just like that game – plus this.’ I think that’s a good way to burn out your franchise. Most fans will usually ask for more skills or more races, things like that. But I don’t see those kinds of things adding to the experience. I wouldn’t add a race, I would ask ‘how can playing an Orc be even more unique?’ It’s about meaningful choice, not more choice.
<br>
[...]
<br>
<b>What has been Bethesda’s goal(s) when developing The Elder Scrolls games over the last 15 years?</b>
<br>
Each time out, we want to give people the biggest craziest game they’ve ever seen. A game where you can fantasize about who you would be and what you would do, and this is the one game that will let you do that.
<br>
[...]
<br>
<b>What is your favorite story from working at Bethesda over the years?</b>
<br>
Pete Hines won’t let me tell it. But it’s awesome. So awesome.</blockquote>
<br>
Todd Howard and Pete Hines: The Untold Love Story.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>luzur</b>!

Double Ogre

Scholar
BTW, Todd Howard announced at his QuakeCon speech that they have no plans for Elder Scrolls 5.
link

Ausir

Arcane
OgreOgre said:
BTW, Todd Howard announced at his QuakeCon speech that they have no plans for Elder Scrolls 5.
link

I can't help replying to angry Elder Scrolls fans:

Why not? Change is good. It's silly to always want all TES games to be the same, as they have been since Arena. Maybe the previous TES games weren't MMORPGs only because of technical limitations? You guys are living in the past.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even though I would like to see how Elder Scrolls 5 would improve upon the horrible Oblivion (FO3 was better than OB, and I wonder if they would include some of FO3's elements into a new TES game) I'm quite glad that they don't plan on further rape of the Elder Scrolls setting right now. It's one of my favourite fantasy settings, loved all the lore from Morrowind, and I don't want them to destroy any more of it like they did in Oblivion.

Also, fuck the "We don't make sequels that are like the previous games" mentality. It's just a retarded excuse for removing things hardcore fans liked and replacing them with more "accessible" dumbed down shit. If you make a sequel, make it like the previous game +++, if you want to make something different be creative and create a new franchise, or a spinoff like Battlespire and Redguard were.

Luzur

Good Sir
OgreOgre said:
link

hah, gotta milk that new cow for all its worth.

we are going to see more Fallout degradation in the years to come i guess.

I can't help replying to angry Elder Scrolls fans:

Why not? Change is good. It's silly to always want all TES games to be the same, as they have been since Arena. Maybe the previous TES games weren't MMORPGs only because of technical limitations? You guys are living in the past.
[/quote]

TES isnt your grandpa's game anymore.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ausir, you either obviously don't understand the whole point of the popularity of TES for so many people on here or you're trolling. Its all about being IMMERSED in the environment. You make TES an MMO and you get "OMG, I pWNZ NOOBS go BAK 2 NOOBLAND" gold farming, 11 year olds and gods know what else. The result is, you ruin immersion and turn TES from TES into just another generic fantasy online RPG.

:lol:

Luzur

Good Sir
Ausir, are you trolling those poor chaps or are you serious with the whole online TES?

and as usual princess_stomper comes rushing in to save the day with
"Near future" to me suggests "under a year". I'm absolutely 100% certain there won't be a TES V in under a year - because they'd have announced it months ago if there was.

Ausir

Arcane
Ausir, are you trolling those poor chaps or are you serious with the whole online TES?

ZeniMax has set up ZeniMax Online Studios recently, and registered the following domains:

elderscrollsmmo.com
elderscrollsmmo.net
elderscrollsmmog.com
elderscrollsmmog.net
elderscrollsonline.com
elderscrollsonline.net
theelderscrollsmmo.com
theelderscrollsmmo.net
theelderscrollsmmog.com
theelderscrollsmmog.net
theelderscrollsonline.net

Luzur

Good Sir
Ausir said:

ZeniMax has set up ZeniMax Online Studios recently, and registered the following domains:

elderscrollsmmo.com
elderscrollsmmo.net
elderscrollsmmog.com
elderscrollsmmog.net
elderscrollsonline.com
elderscrollsonline.net
theelderscrollsmmo.com
theelderscrollsmmo.net
theelderscrollsmmog.com
theelderscrollsmmog.net
theelderscrollsonline.net

wat :|

huh, so they finally did it?

well i will torrent it and use a free server as usual when it is released.

Ladonna

Arcane
Everyone needs to get on over there and support the move to MMO. :lol:

Ausir

Arcane
I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely excited about The Elder Scrolls finally going with the times, instead of catering to a vocal minority still clinging to obsolete notions like single-player.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ausir said:
I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely excited about The Elder Scrolls finally going with the times, instead of catering to a vocal minority still clinging to obsolete notions like single-player.
Srały muszki, będzie wisona.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's like a monkey going apeshit over a mirror or something. Nice work.

Ausir

Arcane
Hah, I was banned from TES forum:

You have received a formal warning and a 3 day posting suspension for deliberately introducing Fallout into a TES discussion despite specific moderator in- topic advice not to do so

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom