Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age is Longer Than 40 Grateful Dead Concerts

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

BioWare's <a href="http://assets.vg247.com/current//2009/08/raymuzyka.jpg" target="blank">Ray Muzyka</a> let <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/25/ray-muzyka-vs-vg247-vs-gamescom/" target="blank">VG247</a> know that <b>Dragon Age</b> can last you upwards of 120 hours.
<br>
<blockquote>If you’re going to say Dragon Age is one of the best games you’ve ever played… I’ve finished Dragon Age. I’ve played it extensively on PC and console. I can really stand behind it. I’ve played it a lot. On one of the play-throughs I spent 120 hours. Two hours a day for 60 days, 90 percent of the game, according to the telemetry. And I loved it. Every minute of it. I couldn’t wait to come home. After about ten hours of gameplay, every day I was talking about coming home and I played it for two or three hours, or whatever time I had free, and play it to the early hours. Luckily I don’t sleep as much as my wife. I’d stay up till after midnight and play it after she was asleep.</blockquote>
<br>
Somewhere there's a woman married to an abusive, paint huffing, incontinent alcoholic who just read that and thought: "Jesus, at least I'm not married to <i>that</i> guy."

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
raymuzyka.jpg

Mogar

Scholar
Jesus Christ. Yeah, I'd like longer games, but it's quality first, then quantity. Whenever these guys start saying plus 80 hours or whatever, I start getting wary.

Weird. Most folk say they can't enjoy/judge their own games (or any art/entertainment product) until years later, as they are too close to the product, too emotionally involved in it, and too self-critical. Bioware hasn't released it yet, and they're going on as though they are a reliable and unbiased critic.

I DO like the length thing - part of what elevated BG2 was the sheer amount of content, which gave a decent illusion of freedom even though the main plot was linear. But that content has to be thematically correct and interesting - Oblivion and FO3 have lots of content, but to their detriiment.

But who the hell claims to be a good judge of their own work? Ok, the Ramones have been calling themselves the greatest band of all time since about 1975-onwards, but no-one takes them to be a reliable judge.

Maybe if he was padding those hours by creating saves just to see how scenarios would play out with different choices.

Geofferic

Educated
Somewhere there's a woman married to an abusive, paint huffing, incontinent alcoholic who just read that and thought: "Jesus, at least I'm not married to that guy."

What an asinine thing to say.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I DO like the length thing - part of what elevated BG2 was the sheer amount of content, which gave a decent illusion of freedom even though the main plot was linear. But that content has to be thematically correct and interesting - Oblivion and FO3 have lots of content, but to their detriiment."

Meh. Of course, morons (including BIO) claimed that BG2 was 200+ hours which is complete and utter bullshit.

"Weird. Most folk say they can't enjoy/judge their own games (or any art/entertainment product) until years later, as they are too close to the product, too emotionally involved in it, and too self-critical. Bioware hasn't released it yet, and they're going on as though they are a reliable and unbiased critic."

"But who the hell claims to be a good judge of their own work?"

You are fuckin' dumb. EVERYBODY judges their own work. EVERYBODY. You don't think, say, a singer judges their own work? That's why they practice - to fix what's what is wrong and become better.

He has his own opinion. he thinks the game is awesome. Nothing wrong with that FFS. I guess you'd prefer he claim the game sucks like shit, and release it anyways? Your logic is pathetic.

But, hey, perhaps when your favorite singer releases their next album I hope it sucks and I hope that singer *knows* it sucks and releases it anyways.

You. are. L A M E

kris

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Weird. Most folk say they can't enjoy/judge their own games (or any art/entertainment product) until years later, as they are too close to the product, too emotionally involved in it, and too self-critical. Bioware hasn't released it yet, and they're going on as though they are a reliable and unbiased critic.

Well, Dragon age was supposedly finished long ago and they are just finishing the console version now.

DriacKin

Arbiter
The supposed 120 hours is nothing but typical PR bullshit.

Kinda like how Oblivion was supposed to offer 200 hours of gameplay.

Murk

Arcane
Volourn, do you think Dragon Age will top Neverwinter Nights?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volourn, do you think Dragon Age will top Neverwinter Nights?"

OC wise: yes, but that shouldn't be hard since the OC is only 75%.

Overall: Absolutely not.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I actually did get 200 hours in Oblivion.

Anyways, when a developer gives a game length estimate, you can usually cut it in half to get the correct one. So that means I should be able to get a solid 40 out of this game, maybe a little more, so that's good.

Micmu

Magister
The more moronic you are the more length you get from moronic games.
Simple as that.
Take a piece of paper with "turn over" written on both sides for an example. Worst morons can get occupied for hours by it.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Actually, come to think of it, that figure is probably accurate.
You probably will need 120 hours (or more) to complete the game and obtain every single achievement point.

And for the rest of us who aren't XBawks acheivement retards, the game will only take 40 hrs to complete once.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I foresee probably twenty hours of creative content and another twenty hours of hack'n'slash filler.

The only CRPGs I can remember that lasted me more than 20-25 hours were Morrowind and Oblivion (doesn't really count) and The Witcher. And probably about a third of my time in The Witcher was spent looking at load screens.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Interview word count :

Excited/ing : 7 times.

Love : 7

Passion/nate : 2

Ray Muzyka said:
Luckily I don’t sleep as much as my wife. I’d stay up till after midnight and play it after she was asleep.

Now tell me the guy isn't frustrated.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
fastpunk said:
yes plz said:
I foresee probably twenty hours of creative content

If only...
That's about three games worth, not that bad by modern game lengths.

Still, I'd also would say that DA cured cancer if they paid me enough.
Not that I don't want to every single game to be a masterpiece but PR like this only rises doubt. If someone playing it is under NDA, is CEO and can only write "Love : 7 times" then I don't give a fuck about what he has to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom