Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred gore nerfed

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Encore Software; Sacred

Per <A href="http://www.ascaron-forum.com//showflat.php?Cat=&Number=20615&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=6&vc=1">this forum post</A> on the <a href="http://www.ascaron-forum.com/">Ascaron Forums</a>, the actiony CRPG, <a href="http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_sacred/index.html">Sacred</a> will have have an English demo soon - but - the US version won't have all the gore. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The US version of Sacred will have a teen 13 rating
<br>
<br>
The European version of Sacred will have a 12+ age rating
<br>
<br>
The US version (full game and demo) has reduced blood and gore. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That's a <b>BAD</b> <A href="http://www.encoresoftware.com/">Encore Software</a>! <B>BAD!</b>
<br>
<br>
<i>I wanna kill! I wanna kill! I wanna eat burnt, baked bodies! I mean, kill! I want to get blood, gore, and veins all stuck between my teeth! I mean, KILL!</i>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Astromarine</b>!

DIPthong

Novice
This initially sounds stupid, but I guarantee that within a week of it being released somebody will make a hack patch that puts all the gore back into it (and probably goes a step further making all the fem characters topless/nude). This is the intarweb afterall. :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You know, the one thing that Diablo had over Diablo 2 - and had in spades.. Was gore. There were torn apart bodies everywhere in Diablo. You couldn't turn a corner without seeing what happenned to the people of Tristram who decided to hole up in that dungeon for safety. I always liked that about Diablo. It's dungeon was scary because of that kind of artwork. Diablo 2 just didn't have it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
D1 had a much better artwork overall. The monsters were actually scary and properly looking. You can't really compare death knights (or whatever) from D1 to those in D2. Balrog was particularly awesome. Vipers, witches, and advocates were cool too.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In the past they did exactly the opposite - games had to be censored to be published in Germany.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Diablo had those Magma Golems that burst into smoldering piles of lava rocks that looked absolutely terrific. Ooh, and the zombies who got beheaded or eviscerated after you killed them. I just loved the sound of that - it felt... satisfying.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Imagine how I felt about getting that utterly fucked up euro version of fallout 2. No kids, no drugs and hardly any blood and guts.

Thank god for 2nd hand pc markets then, you really can find some gems there (like a complete and sealed us fo2 for just 5 euro's, yippee)

Voss

Erudite
Eh? No drugs? All I remember were the missing kids (and the broken quests that resulted from them)

Raymondo

Liturgist
Trash said:
Imagine how I felt about getting that utterly fucked up euro version of fallout 2. No kids, no drugs and hardly any blood and guts.

Thank god for 2nd hand pc markets then, you really can find some gems there (like a complete and sealed us fo2 for just 5 euro's, yippee)

I was lucky, I bought the game in England and got the American version.

Rayt

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
You know, the one thing that Diablo had over Diablo 2 - and had in spades.. Was gore. There were torn apart bodies everywhere in Diablo. You couldn't turn a corner without seeing what happenned to the people of Tristram who decided to hole up in that dungeon for safety. I always liked that about Diablo. It's dungeon was scary because of that kind of artwork. Diablo 2 just didn't have it.

On the other hand, you can explode corpses in Diablo 2. Which can lead to your entire screen filled with blood and exploded bits.

Though I agree that Diablo was scarier, but a major reason for that was the eerie music. And the fact you died a lot more. In my opinion anyway. And like Exitum said, those zombies that got beheaded when they died made a hella sweet noise.

Flink

Liturgist
I personally loved the Rhino deamons in D1. You hear a rumbling roar and then one of those juggernauts hit you like a freight train! one of my favorite game monsters! :)

Anonymous

The last few areas of Diablo 1 were pretty cool, compared to vanilla 2, D1 had the blood and guts and bones all over while D2 just had the very short Act4 with a bunch of rivers and fire and rocks and stuff. D2's looked alright, but D1's were a bit creepier.

But Act 5 in the D2 expansion is pretty cool, mainly because I like snow and stuff.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
D1 had alot more atmosphere, that's for sure. I remember the first time I was playing it with my headphones on and heard that baby crying in the background mixed with other demonic noises. Woo! Sent a shiver up my spine that I still remember to this day.

The only act in D2 that really got me was the third one. I really liked the jungle area. Those little tiki guys were fucking awesome. Reminded me of an old movie with Karen Black (can't remember the name of the movie though) where she had a tiki doll and it came to life and tried to kill her.

Psilon

Erudite
I hated those guys. The loot-to-danger ratio was way too low for my tastes, and the maps were too damn long.

I loved the second half of that act, however; the "urban cleansing" was nicely paced.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Pretty good game, Seven9. Most of us are still playing it. Spazmo, LlamaGod, Killzig and myself are playing it these days on Battle.net. It's awesome.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I never played D1, but I enjoyed D2 alot. Never got creeped out by the monsters though, just annoyed. Those little Tiki bastards really made me wish I was there in the game with a whomping shovel, though. Annoying little shits, always running away and screaming invectives at me.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Pretty good game, Seven9. Most of us are still playing it. Spazmo, LlamaGod, Killzig and myself are playing it these days on Battle.net. It's awesome.

Really? What realm do you play on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom