Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Geneforge 2 review all local and stuff

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Geneforge 2

<b>Spazmo</b> wrote up a <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=96">review</A> of <A href="Http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge2">Geneforge 2</a> for us, so I figured I'd post it. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>This brings me to another point about Geneforge 2: your actions have consequences in this game. Each faction hears about the various things you do on the island, the things you say to people and the views you express. If you help a rogue servile escape, for example, people will hear about it. Some, like the Awakened who believe in freedom and equality for the serviles, will think better of you. Others, such as the Shaper community of Drypeak, will frown upon this. NPCs will be more or less willing to hand out quests and information. Merchants will raise or lower their prices. You have to be careful when making decisions not to alienate anyone you might need later, making it that much harder to walk the "free agent" path and not choose a faction at all. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
The factions system has always been a check in the plus column for this series.
<br>

Astromarine

Erudite
Great review, and a shining example of calm, reasoned opinion that should be used to silence those who say the Codex exists only to lick Tim Cain's balls.

Jed

Cipher
If BioWare were to make a game as good as Geneforge 2, I'd gladly lick Dave Gaider's balls--but, hey, we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Jed

Cipher
I thought Geneforge 1 was much more difficult. It could have been because the character system was unfamiliar to me at the time, but I really feel that Genefore 2 has a lot more non-combat or sneaky ways to resolve quests.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Geneforge 1 was enough for me, some of the enemy filled areas were such a pain in the ass. I liked all the possible paths you could take, but the battles just seemed dull.

Spazmo

Erudite
I agree. Like I said in the review, there are too many areas that are all combat in the Geneforge games. Christ, now that it's posted, there's tons of things I'd like to go back and add into the review.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Don't worry too much, Spazmo. I feel that way about all my reviews. There's always something I forget to write about it seems, even in the ones that are nearly four times as long as that one you wrote. ;)

Spazmo

Erudite
It's because Mr. Smarty Pants Editor Man forgot to pad it out with screenshots.

Oh, and because I copy pasted most of it off the Geneforge 2 site and out of other reviews I read.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Spazmo said:
It's because Mr. Smarty Pants Editor Man forgot to pad it out with screenshots.

Oh, and because I copy pasted most of it off the Geneforge 2 site and out of other reviews I read.

Teh fraud is revealed! Shocker!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I played the demo and liked it, but haven't got around to register the full copy yet. Based on this review I really should though, besides Jeff Vogel have proved in the past that he's worthy of my money.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
XJEDX said:
If BioWare were to make a game as good as Geneforge 2, I'd gladly lick Dave Gaider's balls--but, hey, we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Ummm...

Besides making me vaguely disturbed, this may very well be an excellent incentive for us to keep making our games exactly the way we have been...

:shock:

Greenskin13

Erudite
I'm sure it'll please everyone when Gaider announces he's intentionally making shitty games to "avoid a homoerotic encounter."

EDIT: Damnit, I made about 15 spelling mistakes in that sentence. I've got to stop posting at 2 in the morning.

Jed

Cipher
Dgaider said:
Besides making me vaguely disturbed, this may very well be an excellent incentive for us to keep making our games exactly the way we have been...
Again, I wouldn't get too worried about it. In my opinion your games lag far behind Troika's & Spiderweb's not by choice, but by competence...

Anonymous

DrattedTin said:
Oh, great, now you gave him an excuse.

Shhh, let little Davie keep putting the fork in the lightsocket. He'll eventually learn not to.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:
Again, I wouldn't get too worried about it. In my opinion your games lag far behind Troika's & Spiderweb's not by choice, but by competence...

...if indeed you be DG.

You better hope you're right, otherwise you might have to put your.. mouth.. where your mouth is. :D

I think you're pretty safe, though. Though, it would be nice if Gaider and others at BioWare actually checked out Spiderweb's games and got a good dose of influence from them.

Ibbz

Augur
Well they could hire him....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom