Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3D made RPG's SHIT!

Duckard

Augur
No, PEOPLE made RPGs shit.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
There where a few decent FPS-RPG Hybrids (Bloodlines, Deus Ex, System Shock 2), but I have to agree that the demand for 3D games has not been good for the genre. It's just part of drive to attract a "mainstream" audience that tranformed roleplaying from Wraith: the Oblivion to TES4: Oblivion in less than a decades time.

Zeit

Educated
It's because 3D costs more to produce. When 3D costs go up, game design funding goes down. Fact.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
3D does not really cost more to produce.... in fact in some way it cuts overhead.

Then again all i do is program the damn things...If i find out 3D modelers get paid more then me I'll beat them with my super bible.

deus101

also..look people...I mean...fpsrpg's are a given...i infact love those...if they are done right..

But my focus was on the isometric...thingy...thing.

Achilles

Arcane
3D made RPGs manly instead of nerdy. Now when you shoot people in RPGs, you can really feel the immersion crawling up your butt.

deus101

Alexandros said:
3D made RPGs manly instead of nerdy. Now when you shoot people in RPGs, you can really feel the immersion crawling up your butt.
:mhd:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dormir Con Las Arañas said:
how edgy

gothic, gothic 2, risen, point disproven

Glyphwright said:
I can think of a couple of good 3d RPGs. Vampire: Bloodlines. The Sith Lords. Deus Ex. Mask of the Betrayer. Arx Fatalis. Morrowind. Don't be so hasty to generalize.

The Witcher, Drakensang 1 and 2. Divinity II. Even Two Worlds(not for the Codexian fanatics, but I still enjoyed it).

deus101

OK, some of the poster seems serious here:

I'm not generalizing, I'm talking acceleration->velocity->position.

And FPSRPG are off-course not what i was aiming for(pun not intended), 3D is not excuse for shitty RPG elements there.

deus101 said:
OK, some of the poster seems serious here:

I'm not generalizing, I'm talking acceleration->velocity->position.

And FPSRPG are off-course not what i was aiming for(pun not intended), 3D is not excuse for shitty RPG elements there.

You have to be gentle with them. Most of them have hardly ever seen any other kind of CRPG, let alone played the horrible looking things! Myself and a few others have agreed with you here, though the question seems to have headed into; was it the TIMING of when 3D became mainstream for CRPG's? or is it the 3D itself that has taken away from the genre?

I have already had my say on the matter.

Bobtheblob

Novice
The 3d revolution helped to kill some great series off that tried to make the jump.

Might and Magic 2d in it's prime (3-5) became a "B title" 3d with sprits for 6-8 and a "C/D list" disaster when it tried to go full 3d with 9.

Ultima 2d for 1-8.... 3d for 9 end of Ultima - perhaps not the sole major cause but it was a major blunder.

Wizardry 1-7 2d... 8 3d end of Wizardry - By far the most amazing 3d Swan Song of all the RPG classics I played the development time and costs were astronomical.

Oh well, video killed the radio star.

Delirius

Liturgist
Re: 3d

muffildy said:
Bioware is kind of hit and miss with this aspect - like i really liked their nwn2 campaigns but i kind of felt that the story was a little weak for the OC and motb and pathetic for SoZ.

What a fuck are you talking about newfag? I should kick your fucking ass.

Relayer71

Liturgist
3D did not make RPGs shit, 3D + REAL TIME COMBAT did.

Wizardry 8 is not shit.

3D + RT COMBAT + CONSOLITIS* made RPGs even shittier

* simplified twitch combat (skill checks? we don't need no stinkin' skill checks!), DUMB U.I.s, FLASH over SUBSTANCE

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Relayer71 said:

Yeah, bg2, torment and morrowind are all real shit. :smug:

I don't understand why the turn based rpg faggots even exist, they rarely take advantage of the medium and introduce real tactical options. They're just popamole shit with automatic pause.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Mastermind said:
Relayer71 said:

Yeah, bg2, torment and morrowind are all real shit. :smug:

I don't understand why the turn based rpg faggots even exist, they rarely take advantage of the medium and introduce real tactical options. They're just popamole shit with automatic pause.

Look fucker, BG 2 and Torment were real time w/PAUSE and combat was menu based. I meant action, twitch based, FPS style combat. Where you push button, Hulk smash.

Morrowind was more a SUM OF ALL PARTS game. You didn't play it for the combat, that's for sure. It was was skill based which was great, but the execution still sucked. It was dull and repetitive. Slash, slash, slash. Boring, boring, boring.

And honestly, I don't mind real time combat in action games or even single Player Character action RPGs but for party based RPGs, turn based seems the best way to go. Maybe that's my beef: these days there aren't many party based games.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Relayer71 said:
Look fucker, BG 2 and Torment were real time w/PAUSE and combat was menu based. I meant action, twitch based, FPS style combat. Where you push button, Hulk smash.

1. Fucking say so, don't expect me to divine what you REALLY mean.
2. There's nothing wrong with push button, hulk smash if done properly, though if someone's not really into that, there's little I can do. I just wish people would stop assuming push button is automatically shit just because they don't like it.

Morrowind was more a SUM OF ALL PARTS game. You didn't play it for the combat, that's for sure. It was was skill based which was great, but the execution still sucked. It was dull and repetitive. Slash, slash, slash. Boring, boring, boring.

Morrowind comobat is best enjoyed as a master of all trades. I've never relied on any weapon exclusively (i agree it gets boring, but when they tried to add some variety to melee combat in oblivion the nostalgiafags whined like there was no tomorrow), which would indeed get quite boring.

And honestly, I don't mind real time combat in action games or even single Player Character action RPGs but for party based RPGs, turn based seems the best way to go. Maybe that's my beef: these days there aren't many party based games.

I half agree. I think rt with pause systems like bg2 or torment work just fine for party games too.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the demand for fully-voice acted games is what made RPGs shit.

In Fallout 1/2 there's quite a lot of dialogue, so many choices and things you could ask, and great voice acting for a few characters.

And in Fallout 3, instead they have less dialogue (in this case I'd say it's good because it was so badly written anyway), less choices, all player-questions leading to the same answer and shitty voice acting on-top of all of that.

Archibald

Arcane
I kinda liked Drakensangwhateverbullshit aproach where they voiced only the first sentence or so, gives you the idea of how that character sounds and it`s good enough for me.

aries202

Erudite
-eh-

You don't know that in DA you can right-click to move? As for the combat, I agree, it is really, really -ehm- not well done.

You have to select an enemy by left-clicking, then right-clicking to attack, unless, you want to use a special abaility...

And you do know that you can pause the game? between ordering people around...?

As far as the 3D goes, I'll have to agree with you. It is now, 10 years after isometric 2D were in full bloom, 3D is functioning well...in games...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom