Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3d-shooter third-person recommendations

DefJam101

Arcane
J1M said:
Might want to check your subtraction there, genius. There were two and a half years between The Matrix bullet time being public knowledge and the release of Max Payne. Plenty of time to make a game like Max Payne. You are confusing the making of an engine with a game. It's not like slowdown effects are particularily hard to do in a singleplayer game. If I remember right, even Deus Ex has a cheat that does something similar.

I didn't even bother to subtract, to be honest. It's a propriety engine. They already knew what they were doing.

edit: By the way, even if The Matrix did influence Max Payne's gameplay... I don't think it really matters. Max Payne did the whole 'bullet time' thing much better than The Matrix did. Not a big deal, maybe they had intended it to be a straight up John Woo movie with a noir storyline and then decided bullet time was a good idea. Dunno.

J1M

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
J1M said:
Might want to check your subtraction there, genius. There were two and a half years between The Matrix bullet time being public knowledge and the release of Max Payne. Plenty of time to make a game like Max Payne. You are confusing the making of an engine with a game. It's not like slowdown effects are particularily hard to do in a singleplayer game. If I remember right, even Deus Ex has a cheat that does something similar.

I didn't even bother to subtract, to be honest. It's a propriety engine. They already knew what they were doing.

edit: By the way, even if The Matrix did influence Max Payne's gameplay... I don't think it really matters. Max Payne did the whole 'bullet time' thing much better than The Matrix did. Not a big deal, maybe they had intended it to be a straight up John Woo movie with a noir storyline and then decided bullet time was a good idea. Dunno.
Yeah, they were making a multiplatform shooter engine. You don't seem to grasp that there is a difference between writing rendering and sound libraries and making a specific game.

So I got you to back off one stupid claim and you adopt another? Movie vs. game comparison aside, I'm going to just claim a priori on this one.

DefJam101

Arcane
J1M said:
Yeah, they were making a multiplatform shooter engine. You don't seem to grasp that there is a difference between writing rendering and sound libraries and making a specific game.

No, I do. Go ahead thinking that if you want.

So I got you to back off one stupid claim and you adopt another? Movie vs. game comparison aside, I'm going to just claim a priori on this one.

Not really. I just noticed that even if Max Payne supposedly 'ripped off' The Matrix, I could care less. They did 'bullet time' much better than in TM. There is nothing worth fighting over anymore, the only people who know the answer are the developers. As such, I'll just go with the easiest answer.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Remedy was inspired by The Matrix and then implemented bullet time (You can already see that inspiration in 3d Mark 2001 where they did that a la Matrix shooting). As for noir story - I don't know the inspiration but it wasn't there originally.
Originally Max Payne was planned to be a generic 3rd person shooter, had worse design and comical bosses (you can see all that in video of the MP's gameplay from 1998). More like latest Duke Nukems.
But I'm glad MP ended up in such state. Woo meets Noir was a pretty cool mix and an atmosphere of empty, cold and snowy New York was just outstanding.

DefJam101

Arcane
skyway said:
Remedy was inspired by The Matrix and then implemented bullet time (You can already see that inspiration in 3d Mark 2001 where they did that a la Matrix shooting). As for noir story - I don't know the inspiration but it wasn't there originally.
Originally Max Payne was planned to be a generic 3rd person shooter, had worse design and comical bosses (you can see all that in video of the MP's gameplay from 1998). More like latest Duke Nukems.
But I'm glad MP ended up in such state. Woo meets Noir was a pretty cool mix and an atmosphere of empty, cold and snowy New York was just outstanding.

Oh well. At least it turned out to be a great game, no matter where it came from.

The Max Payne games are pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to 3rd person shooters.
So there's not much else to look forward to.
MaskedMan said:
There are of course loads of other third person shooters that are better (Mafia, GTA's, Hitman, The Suffering, etc.) but they're not that similar to Max Payne.
Hitman isn't really a shooting game. The object of the game is to plan out how you're going to commit the hits that you've been contracted to kill.
Most of your contracts can be completed without firing a single bullet.
I feel that Hitman is more similar to a 3rd person Deus Ex.
Freedom Fighters is worth taking a look at.So much fun and it put a nice twist on standard 3'rd person shooters by giving you an ever growing group of people to command.
Hells yeah. I second this opinion.
It's what Kane & Lynch would've been like if Kane & Lynch didn't suck ass.

J1M

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Sure, the game contains references to The Matrix, but the movie did not effect Max Payne's gameplay whatsoever.

DefJam101 said:
skyway said:
Originally Max Payne was planned to be a generic 3rd person shooter, had worse design and comical bosses (you can see all that in video of the MP's gameplay from 1998).
Oh well. At least it turned out to be a great game, no matter where it came from.
Admitting when one is wrong is a big step, now you just gotta stop making shit up in the first place.

Argosy

Novice
I heard MDK is pretty good, never played it before. Same as Heretic 2, also never played

MDK is amazing because of its style and level design. It's surreality epitomized, manages to be funny and occasionally even unsettling at the same time, and I can't think of a single game that manages to exceed MDK in this regard. The combat though, is pretty rote, and the game is far too short.

MDK 2 manages to be entirely unfunny despite trying very, very hard to be, and only occasionally does the level design manage to reach something even close to the first game's. That said, the levels for Kurt (the protagonist from the first game) and Max (The six-armed robotic dog) are fun from a platforming/shooter stance. Doc's levels, though, which make up about a third of the game, are a wash and absolutely abysmal.
Heretic 2 is a good fantasy shooter, and definitely worth a playthrough or so if you can stand the wonky aiming.

Another one you might look into, though I've never actually played, is Esoteria. I've heard it's like MDK in a lot of respects.

DraQ

Arcane
Argosy said:
MDK is amazing because of its style and level design. It's surreality epitomized, manages to be funny and occasionally even unsettling at the same time, and I can't think of a single game that manages to exceed MDK in this regard.
This.

MDK 2 manages to be entirely unfunny despite trying very, very hard to be, and only occasionally does the level design manage to reach something even close to the first game's.
And this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom