Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3d-shooter third-person recommendations

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Recommend some game similar to Max Payne. I liked it for good(for action game) plot, phrazes that you remmember long time, maybe cliched a bit but anyway characters. The overall this is not some very great game. But the one that catches you.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Giants. You won't regret it

Of course, how you can get a legit copy is another story

Rumteldat

Novice
Freedom Fighters is worth taking a look at.So much fun and it put a nice twist on standard 3'rd person shooters by giving you an ever growing group of people to command.

DefJam101

Arcane
Oddly enough if you're looking for games similar to Max Payne, you won't find many you'll like. Max Payne is about as good as 3rd person shooters get. Which is a good thing, by the way, MP is amazing. I heard MDK is pretty good, never played it before. Same as Heretic 2, also never played. Giants was pretty badass, you should definitely play that. If you have an Xbox/Ps2/Gamecube, Metal Arms: Glitch in The System was pretty lulzy from what I remember.

Future Cop is fucking win, by the way.

J1M

Arcane
I'm guessing you want a 3rd person shooter because you get turned around or have trouble with not knowing where an enemy is shooting you from.

3rd person is one (lame) way of solving this problem. Republic Commando gives you a squad, which is another way of dealing with it. It is also an awesome 1st person game all-around... and I don't even like Star Wars.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
El Matador, Stranglehold and The Punisher. The two former because they have bullet-time, the latter because he's a badass :cool:. There are of course loads of other third person shooters that are better (Mafia, GTA's, Hitman, The Suffering, etc.) but they're not that similar to Max Payne.

You should play Giants.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You mean Giants: Citizen Kabuto?

udm said:
Of course, how you can get a legit copy is another story
By removing nothing from inventory to get proper English version and buying one from russian publisher 1C.

Thank you pals. I'll try all mentioned.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, Giants is great with its stupid but funny cut-scenes and action game-rts blend.

And if you like Giants you should definitely try its spiritual successor - Armed & Dangerous .

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Giants is good, so is MDK, you can also try MDK2 that has a good share of fun even the humour isn't as subtle as in the first. You can also consider Outcast but that one is more of an adventure/action hybrid, so you'll spend time running around, talking to people, solving puzzles and shooting stuff. All these parts are well-done but if you want only the "shooting stuff part" I guess it's not the game for you, still awesome though.

The Dude

Liturgist
Urban Chaos is a forgotten gem that few people know about. It's fighting/shooting coupled with some free roaming and driving for good measure. You could almost call it a GTA-like, but not quite, since I seem to recall that each mission was self contained and dropped you in a part of the city, it was also a lot more pure shooter than post GTA 3 GTAs. I remember really being impressed with the graphics back then and I had a lot of fun with that game. If you could get it to work with a modern computer, you might too. Another thing speaking for it is that it was made by former Bullfrog guys, and it shows a bit in the attention to detail IMO.

Freedom Fighters is fun, is slightly unique in it's multi-linear design, and has a pretty nice soundtrack. Kind of an America FUCK YEAH! game, but not as overbearing as something like Independence Day. It also was begging for a sequel.

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction is pretty fun. It's more of a GTA-like, but with tanks, bazookas, and personal airstrikes that would make Bethesda's fatman look pretty wimpy. The shooting actually holds up well unlike GTA, so it's worth a go if you have a console.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Shoelip said:
It wasn't much like Max Payne though, besides the fact that Max Payne's action was inspired by The Matrix which was in turn inspired by anime.

Max Payne was in development long before Matrix. If anything both of them have the same source of inspiration: Hong Kong movies. Though Matrix had a bit of influence on the game after it was released.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Shoelip said:
Oni was pretty cool if you can stand it's anime style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni_(video_game)

It wasn't much like Max Payne though, besides the fact that Max Payne's action was inspired by The Matrix which was in turn inspired by anime.

Oni's definitely worth a playthrough. The level design is horrible (it makes Halo's level design look grand in comparison), but the combat is awesome, though it can be rather frustrating at times

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
The Dude said:
Urban Chaos is a forgotten gem that few people know about. It's fighting/shooting coupled with some free roaming and driving for good measure. You could almost call it a GTA-like, but not quite, since I seem to recall that each mission was self contained and dropped you in a part of the city, it was also a lot more pure shooter than post GTA 3 GTAs. I remember really being impressed with the graphics back then and I had a lot of fun with that game. If you could get it to work with a modern computer, you might too. Another thing speaking for it is that it was made by former Bullfrog guys, and it shows a bit in the attention to detail IMO.

My God, I got that game from the SoldOut catalogue thing years ago, one of my first PC games. It was great, I need to dig it back out again... though I'm curious if cutscenes or something were omitted from the SO version, since it jumped from investigating Bane's house to "hey guys Bane is a 2000-year-old evil sorcerer" with nothing in between. Putting information like that in a loading splashscreen is an... uh... novel way of doing plot twists, but I can't help but feel I missed something.

Anyway, did anyone play that Strangehold game? It looks pretty cool, and similar to Max Payne, but the system requirements were fucking obscene so I probably couldn't run it if I wanted to.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
Anyway, did anyone play that Strangehold game? It looks pretty cool, and similar to Max Payne, but the system requirements were fucking obscene so I probably couldn't run it if I wanted to.

Don't bother. I wanted to like this game since I'm a fan of Woo's early HK action schtick, and I "get" that a third person action shooter console port isn't going to be very "deep" to begin with.
But this is a disaster. Any reviewer who gave this higher than 70% is a moron...
The action is poorly paced. Max Payne gave you moments of reprieve that contrasted well with the busier sequences. Stranglehold throws endless wave upon wave of enemy at the player, so much so that even bullet time feels rushed.
The graphics are very inconsistent. Certain of the environments are clearly well done, but 50% look worse than a Quake 1 mod (objects haphazardly intersecting, placed without thought). The amount of destructible objects is impressive. Due to the endless rush of enemies though you're too busy trying to stay alive rather than enjoying the resulting chaos. The characters are exceptionally well modelled\textured, in stark contrast to the cut and paste\google image search texturing present in 50% of the environments.
Third person camera is horrific, often don't know where enemies are while under fire. Find myself stationary swinging the camera about looking for enemies, only to find them a few meters away.. Created for television, where you sit further away than from a PC. On a 24 inch widescreen LCD monitor the camera feels too close and the FOV feels zoomed in to the point that peripheral vision is nearly non-existent.

Too bad really, considering all they needed to do was turn the Hardboiled hospital shoot-out into a game.

J1M

Arcane
Gragt said:
Shoelip said:

Max Payne was in development long before Matrix. If anything both of them have the same source of inspiration: Hong Kong movies. Though Matrix had a bit of influence on the game after it was released.
The Matrix was released in March of 1999. The big trailer showing off the movie was shown during the Superbowl in January.

Max Payne was released in July 2001. The game might barely have been started prior to that amazing trailer, but to deny the influence of The Matrix on it is insane.

DefJam101

Arcane
J1M said:
Gragt said:
Shoelip said:

The Matrix was released in March of 1999. The big trailer showing off the movie was shown during the Superbowl in January.

Max Payne was released in July 2001. The game might barely have been started prior to that amazing trailer, but to deny the influence of The Matrix on it is insane.

Here you go:

http://www.maxpaynegaming.com/mp1/engine.php

The Max Payne engine was designed by the studio during the time between their 1996 release of Death Rally and the eventual 2001 release of Max Payne. It took about 4 years to develop the engine, and considering they wanted the game to be based off of John Woo films, the bullet time gameplay was already a planned feature. You can't make a 3d blockbuster game in 1 year. Sure, the game contains references to The Matrix, but the movie did not effect Max Payne's gameplay whatsoever.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hong Kong action movies had CGI bullet time effects like the Matrix before the Matrix?

DemonKing

Arcane
I didn't mind Stranglehold but it's not up there with the Max Payne games for quality but probably the closest 3rd person game in style. If you don't mind 1st person the FEAR series offers fantastic bullet time action/destruction.

The Thing was quite good although a bit long in the tooth now and no bullet time I'm afraid (and it wouldn't fit in well with the sense of fear and panic the game can bring anyway).

DefJam101

Arcane
Shoelip said:
Hong Kong action movies had CGI bullet time effects like the Matrix before the Matrix?

Bullet time effects? Like the weird soundwave esq. things that trail the bullets in The Matrix? No. Some did have slow motion though, in some spots. It was often for dramatic effect, rather than to slow down the action so you could see it better. A stylistic choice I like much better. It works in a gaming sense, but too much slow motion removes any sense of urgency and weight to combat, see: 300. Hong Kong shit was fast and furious, the slow motion shots (if any) were mostly to show the characters in dramatic poses in between gunfights.

The Matrix jumped the shark a bit with the slow motion, in my opinion. Can't judge the two though, as TM is not Hong Kong shit. It's american shit. Different. I like them both.

J1M

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
J1M said:
Gragt said:
Shoelip said:

Here you go:

http://www.maxpaynegaming.com/mp1/engine.php

The Max Payne engine was designed by the studio during the time between their 1996 release of Death Rally and the eventual 2001 release of Max Payne. It took about 4 years to develop the engine, and considering they wanted the game to be based off of John Woo films, the bullet time gameplay was already a planned feature. You can't make a 3d blockbuster game in 1 year. Sure, the game contains references to The Matrix, but the movie did not effect Max Payne's gameplay whatsoever.
Might want to check your subtraction there, genius. There were two and a half years between The Matrix bullet time being public knowledge and the release of Max Payne. Plenty of time to make a game like Max Payne. You are confusing the making of an engine with a game. It's not like slowdown effects are particularily hard to do in a singleplayer game. If I remember right, even Deus Ex has a cheat that does something similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom