Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Sean K Reynolds chit chats with GameBanshee

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Sean Reynolds

<b>Sean K. Reynolds</b> did an <A href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/seankreynolds1.php">interview</a> with <A href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a> about his work with 3E D&D, <a href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle Studios</a> and some other stuff. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>GB: What is the atmosphere like around Black Isle Studios with many of the original employees now gone? What sort of projects has BIS been working on over the last couple of months?</b>
<br>
<br>
Sean: We now have a lot more space and everyone on my side of the building is actually in a proper office rather than a cubicle, so people like that. It does make the place weird and kind of empty, though. They dismantled a bunch of the old cubicles and took the ping-pong table out of storage, so I'm constantly buffeted by ping-pong noise as various employees work their way up and down the ladder. It's keeping them happy, or happier, at least.
<br>
<br>
I don't know what official word Interplay has given about its current in-production titles, so I'll just say that we have two games in production, and I'm the lead designer on a fantasy console game. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Most ghost towns have lots of space too.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Voss

Erudite
Funny stuff. I'm sure having doors makes up for having to listen to the mournful echoes of an empty office in a dying company. And having had so many of their co-workers booted out on the asses must just give them the giggles.

Personally, my fav is this:
Life has been strange at Interplay, with my first two projects canceled and several sets of layoffs, and I used to have a 2-hour commute by train. I've had the opportunity to work with some really great people and learn a lot about the computer game industry. Overall, I'm happy with the change

Happy that almost two years of his work was completely wasted and flushed down the toliet? Woohoo. Sign me up for that shit. And frankly, maybe its just me, but several sets of layoffs would have me really damn paranoid and looking for the axe everytime I left the office.

And, for the record, working on a single fluff book for a line of games, particularly one that was never published, doesn't translate into 'working on' an game. Especially when its as shitty a game as the revised Marvel Super Heroes crap.

taks

Liturgist
happy that everybody got laid off? happy with that change?

taks

DemonKing

Arcane
I can't help thinking if the brainiacs at Interplay moved everyone back into cubicles in a slightly smaller office space and packed up the ping-pong table then they might not be so behind on their rent.

And the bit about being happy despite the fact that most of the last two years of his life have been wasted is a bit weird too.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Demonking,

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that about how they're not forced to be in cubicles but actually have doors. After all, if they don't come up with all that back rent, they won't have a ROOF, let alone DOORS.

And yeah, the thing about all the lay offs and cancelled projects followed by the statement of being happy with the change seems to suggest to me that Sean K Reynolds is heavily medicated.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
seems to suggest to me that Sean K Reynolds is heavily medicated.

My take is that since he is the best employe available in Iplay he feels kind of special.

After all would you rather be a servant in paradise or a leader in hell ?

Taoreich

Liturgist
Although seemingly inconsistent with what one might expect from a D&D veteran, SKR has historically towed the company line more faithfully than the Iraqi minister of information (although maybe it isn't inconsistent given wha the atmosphere might be at WotC). IIRC, at the time of the layoffs, Sean rebuffed any suggestion of it on his site until confronted with the facts. I think it was something like this:

SKR: "There are no layoffs. Stop spreading myths rumours, lies and innuedos"
Poster: "Puuk just posted an announcement that he and many others have been layed off"
SKR: "Did he? Oh. Well, then yes, there are layoffs, but Van Buren's future is secure and Black Isle wil continue to rule the PC game market in the future".
Poster: "Interplay just posted an announcement regarding the suspension of Van Buren and the plan to focus on console games."
SKR: "Hmmm. Well, yes, I am now the lead designer on a console only game. But Black Isle still rocks the casbah; so much so that we all have offices and PingPong tables!"

He's prolly a good enough fellow, but he has truly drunk of the corporate kool-aid.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I find it strange that with all the people getting layed off, SKR with no previous experience in computer game design is one of the few to keep his job.

triCritical

Erudite
I think there is a unwritten rule that it is considered really bad taste to fire someone you just hired. I think its just one of those things that I guess are really just not done.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
triCritical said:
I think there is a unwritten rule that it is considered really bad taste to fire someone you just hired. I think its just one of those things that I guess are really just not done.

Pfft. Unwritten rule? You people know nothing about corporate life.

You don't fire someone you just hired because then YOU look like an idiot for opening up a position that was apparently unnecessary.

CYA isn't just a catchy acronym in the corporate world.

Fireblade

Erudite
I think that the "change" the guy was referring to was the change from non-computer gaming work into computer gaming work.

And, yeah, it's very rare to lay off someone you just hired. I've seen it myself on multiple occasions, recently-hired people dodge layoffs regardless of their skill level, importance, etc.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
And yeah, the thing about all the lay offs and cancelled projects followed by the statement of being happy with the change seems to suggest to me that Sean K Reynolds is heavily medicated.

or the most insensitive person in history...
taks

taks

Liturgist
last hired first fired is actually the most common way to lose a job... he prolly didn't get the axe because he is/was, as noted, cheap.

taks

DemonKing

Arcane
taks said:
last hired first fired is actually the most common way to lose a job... he prolly didn't get the axe because he is/was, as noted, cheap.

Well, perhaps he kept his job as he is a recognisable face outside the CRPG industry so Interplay thought they could slap "designed by Sean K Reynolds, author of D&D 3rd ED!!!!" on some boxes.

Or alternatively, he simply hadn't been at Interplay long enough to make any enemies.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Talk about twisting someone's word to satisfy one's need to hate them. :roll:

Sammael

Liturgist
Seven9 said:
Speaking of DnD junk anyone know what Elminter's 3.5E stats are?
Elminster of Shadowdale
Ftr 1/Rog 2/Clr 3/Epic Wiz 24/Acm 5, Chosen of Mystra (for sex appeal, no doubt)
Str: Infinite
Dex: Infinite
Con: Infinite
Int: Infinite
Wis: Infinite (although he is going insane)
Cha: Infinite (looks and talks like Sean Connery)
Armor Class: Can't be hit
Attack: Hits every time for lots and lots of damage
Special Attacks: Deus Ex Machina, Summon All Other Chosen to Do His Bidding
Saving Throws: Can't fail 'em
Spells: All
Alignment: Neutral Good

Spazmo

Erudite
WHAT? I cannot fucking believe that shit, Sammael. Those WotC fuckers are so damn full of shit with all these ridiculous 3E/3.5E changes they keep making.

Elminster is chaotic good, damn it!

Sammael said:
Seven9 said:
Speaking of DnD junk anyone know what Elminter's 3.5E stats are?
Elminster of Shadowdale
Ftr 1/Rog 2/Clr 3/Epic Wiz 24/Acm 5, Chosen of Mystra (for sex appeal, no doubt)
Str: Infinite
Dex: Infinite
Con: Infinite
Int: Infinite
Wis: Infinite (although he is going insane)
Cha: Infinite (looks and talks like Sean Connery)
Armor Class: Can't be hit
Attack: Hits every time for lots and lots of damage
Special Attacks: Deus Ex Machina, Summon All Other Chosen to Do His Bidding
Saving Throws: Can't fail 'em
Spells: All
Alignment: Neutral Good

What a munchkin.

Rosh

Erudite
I'm offering $500 to anyone, and this doesn't just apply to ex-Interplay employees, who ties Sean up onto the ping-pong table and violates him with at least 5 paddles. $100 more for each additional paddle you can manage to cram up his ass. Let him have his beloved "changes", then. :cool:

Pictures are required for verification purposes and internet mockery (well, in addition to whatever else the attention whore causes upon himself). It will be priceless in the history of gaming and slashdot, the new goatse.cx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom