Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DA: Awakening FAQ

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

BioWare launched a DA Awakening website and answers questions that were supposedly <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/awakening/faq/">frequently asked.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>Which Dragon Age: Origins NPC will be returning? </b>
<br>
<br>
Besides Oghren who plays a large role in Awakening, there are cameos and returning characters. For companions you'll potentially meet Loghain, Wynne, and Alistair depending on your decisions in Origins. In regards to NPCs, Master Wade and Herren reprise their roles, with Wade offering to make even more fantastical goods if the player brings his list of ingredients. Loghain's daughter, Anora, may also appear in Awakening depending on your choices in Origins. From David Gaider's novel "The Calling" - both the Architect and Utha are present in Awakening.
<br>
<br>
<b>If my PC died at the end of Dragon Age: Origins how are they alive in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening?</b>
<br>
<br>
If a player wants to, they can import their "Dead Warden" into Awakening and play as them. For the story it's assumed that they didn't make the ultimate sacrifice, instead somehow survived. A player would start as the same level with the same gear as their "Dead Warden". Essentially, if a player doesn't have a problem hand-waiving the story in this regard - neither do we.
<br>
<br>
<b>Will my items, armor, stats, etc transfer over if I import my character from Dragon Age: Origins?</b>
<br>
Almost all items are imported with your character. The only exceptions are the Origins promotional items and DLC loot, which were meant for Origins alone.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
So DLC loot doesn't transfer..., anyway I'm sure there will be new DLC with shiny loot soon, suitable for the Awakening.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96817-dragon-age-origins-awakening-website-launched-with-new-content.html">GB</A>

Dele

Liturgist
VentilatorOfDoom said:
If a player wants to, they can import their "Dead Warden" into Awakening and play as them. For the story it's assumed that they didn't make the ultimate sacrifice, instead somehow survived. A player would start as the same level with the same gear as their "Dead Warden". Essentially, if a player doesn't have a problem hand-waiving the story in this regard - neither do we.

:(
Mass effect had more C&C!

Coldcall

Novice
I wont be buying it even though i quite enjoyed DAO. Bioware just seems to be going more and more linear these days.

I prefer the way Bethesda handle expansions by allowing them to be accessed during the main part of the game so it adds to replay value once you've already beaten the vanilla release.

In the case of DAO, Awakenings has to necessarily start after you've beaten the main game, so folks who have played through a couple times already have to grind through the whole of DAO vanilla again in order to experience the expansion in consecutive fashion.

Silellak

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Stupid and weak, Bioware. Stupid and weak. Way to cheapen the choice. However, you missed the most SHOCKING news in the FAQ:

Who can I romance in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening?

There are no romances options available in Awakening. The story is focused more on the mission at hand and the new threat to Ferelden.
I wonder how many fanboys' heads just EXPLODED. I'm sure modders are already on top of this, writing the intricate love stories Bioware refused to create.

I'm glad Allistair will be gone, at least. He was a whiny douche when I decided to spare Loghain, and after the trailer I was worried he would show up as King despite my decisions. Unfortunately, the only other returning companions are characters I just didn't care about that much. Where the FUCK is Sten? Where is my hot gay Sten ROMANCE? The mind boggles.

Gosling

Liturgist
Silellak said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Stupid and weak, Bioware. Stupid and weak. Way to cheapen the choice. However...

How is the choice cheapened? Your charachter is still dead. Stupid and weak of the player who would do this - yes. Only morons would import their dead characters and pretend nothing had happened.
It would have been stupid if Bioware had come up with a story-integrated explanation for the dead protagonist to be brought to life again, but apparently they did nothing of the sort and just shrugged their shoulders.

EDIT: and even Dog is more interesting than Sten.

Silellak

Cipher
Gosling said:
Silellak said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Stupid and weak, Bioware. Stupid and weak. Way to cheapen the choice. However...

How is the choice cheapened? Your charachter is still dead. Stupid and weak of the player who would do this - yes. Only morons would import their dead characters and pretend nothing had happened.
It would have been stupid if Bioware had come up with a story-integrated explanation for the dead protagonist to be brought to life again, but apparently they did nothing of the sort and just shrugged their shoulders.

EDIT: and even Dog is more interesting than Sten.
Because it reeks of one of the rightful-criticisms of DA, which is that it had consequences that should have been meaningful, but weren't - most notably, the infamous "specialization unlocking choices". Now, in the past, I have claimed this was probably less of a conscious design decision and more of a incidental flaw relating to how specializations unlock for all your available characters - and I still believe that. But, obviously, if specializations had been limited on a character-by-character basis, it would've fixed that issue and those decisions would've been far more interesting. Just like there was no punishment if you took too long before going back to help the Arl's possessed child - Bioware refused to go that extra step because it might piss someone, somewhere off. It's not a game-ruiner for me, but I do think it cheapens the experience - just like importing a dead character. It's like a PnP DM who refuses to piss his players off no matter what stupid shit they do.

Bioware should just say "If your character is dead, tough shit, reload an earlier game and make a different decision."

And if you think Dog is more interesting than Sten, my guess is you didn't talk or use him much.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Silellak said:
Where the FUCK is Sten? Where is my hot gay Sten ROMANCE? The mind boggles.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age lore dictates that having gay sex with Sten (assuming you take the role of receiver, because I doubt he'd be wiling to be anything but pitcher) means you die.

Silellak

Cipher
Brother None said:
Silellak said:

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age lore dictates that having gay sex with Sten (assuming you take the role of receiver, because I doubt he'd be wiling to be anything but pitcher) means you die.
Choices and sexy, sexy consequences.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Brother None said:
Silellak said:

Embrace eternity.

Gosling

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Because it reeks of one of the rightful-criticisms of DA, which is that it had consequences that should have been meaningful, but weren't - most notably, the infamous "specialization unlocking choices". Now, in the past, I have claimed this was probably less of a conscious design decision and more of a incidental flaw relating to how specializations unlock for all your available characters - and I still believe that. But, obviously, if specializations had been limited on a character-by-character basis, it would've fixed that issue and those decisions would've been far more interesting. Just like there was no punishment if you took too long before going back to help the Arl's possessed child - Bioware refused to go that extra step because it might piss someone, somewhere off. It's not a game-ruiner for me, but I do think it cheapens the experience - just like importing a dead character. It's like a PnP DM who refuses to piss his players off no matter what stupid shit they do.

Bioware should just say "If your character is dead, tough shit, reload an earlier game and make a different decision."

And if you think Dog is more interesting than Sten, my guess is you didn't talk or use him much.

While I agree with you on the above points - they would actually make a difference for you character ingame and would have direct effect/consequences for your each actual playthrough making it more interesting.
The possibility to import a dead charachter does not bear any effect on YOUR game. The expansion doesn't offer additional content/dialogue options for a "resurrected" character and does not modify the story to allow such stupidity. So it just shouldn't concern you, because if you are not a weakwilled dimwit who would import his dead char into the expansion it doesn't nullify YOUR choices and their consequences.
Bioware leaves an option for dumbfucks but does not justify their actions to please them.

What's so interesting about Sten? He's just a brooding samurai wannabe who freaked out and wiped out an entire farmhold just because he lost his sword. (wtf&?) His code of honour is only barely described and is just dumb anyway. Bioware hints at depth without actually providing any "deep" content for him.
Not that other companions are any much better in this game.

Dele said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Yeah mang, like Shepard dying in ME2 returning alive and well in ME3, it only requires a handwave insted of bothering to accomodate all the fuck up endings...

oh wait it's the same shit, nvm

yes i realize you're joking

gosling said:
Bioware leaves an option for dumbfucks but does not justify their actions to please them.

How so? They were just sane enough to not come up with "a mysterious force resurrects you, but no one seems to mind...it's like you...never died", but it's still retardo. They could write the expansion as to accomodate both endings - dead warden and alive warden. If you gonna have the character die and make it an actual ending, then don't make the sequels / expansions handwave it. It cheapens the ending that was supposed to be tragic and final.

So, they would have to do something else, like transferring all your preziouz loot to a party member and let you control him. Not nearly as hard as in ME because you can already control party members directly, PC is mute and people don't go SHEPARDSHEPARDSHEPARD all the time (they go WARDENWARDENWARDEN, though).

Instead, they do the same as they will in ME3 - turn the "character dies" ending into an amusing alternate "bad end" that didn't really happen.

The only "choice" you have for the expansion to make any sense if your guy died (which is a "genuine" ending, not a "you fucked up, try again" ending), is to RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEWIIIIINNNNNNNND.

Brother None said:
Silellak said:

According to his convo with Morrigan, you just wouldn't be able to walk straight anymore. He recommends her to get something to bite on, iirc.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Weeeelll I think I will try this out.

So I can know what Codex is talking about all the time and join in on bitching. And Dragon Age wasn't that bad, a bit boring but playable.

Gosling

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
gosling said:

How so? they were just sane enough to not come up with "a mysterious force resurrects you, but no one seems to mind", but it's still retardo. They could write the expansion as to accomodate both endings - dead warden and alive warden. If you gonna have the character die and make it an actual ending, then don't make the sequels / expansions handwave it. It cheapens the ending that was supposed to be tragic and final.

So, they would have to do something else, like transferring all your preziouz loot to a party member and let you control him. not nearly as hard as in ME because you can already control party members directly, PC is mute and people don't go SHEPARDSHEPARDSHEPARD all the time (they go WARDENWARDENWARDEN, though).

Instead, they do the same as they will in ME3 - turn the "character dies" ending into an amusing alternate "bad end" that didn't really happen.

Well, it IS retardo, but as long as they don't come with an official explanation, i still don't see how it cheapens a sane gamer's "sacrifiice" ending.
It's just like difficulty levels - it's kinda stupid that your AOE spells only do partial damage to your party members on easy and normal modes: it's there for casual gamers. However the fact that these modes are there does not cheapen your game experience if you play it on Hard or Nightmare.

I mean - if your character is dead, he's dead. End of story. Play as an orlesian grey warden. What do you care if someone else is dumb enough to import and play a dead character?

Gosling said:
Well, it IS retardo, but as long as they don't come with an official explanation, i still don't see how it cheapens a sane gamer's "sacrifiice" ending.

The expansion doesn't account for the death. It pretends the previous ending didn't happen and you chose the "canon" one, because they couldn't be arsed to make a story that could accomodate both endings. Your character's death, tragic and sad and all? Yeah, didn't happen. Have sum expansion that follows the story you were supposed to follow, dumbfuck. lul.

They just didn't care

It's just like difficulty levels - it's kinda stupid that your AOE spells only do partial damage to your party members on easy and normal modes: it's there for casual gamers. However the fact that these modes are there does not cheapen your game experience if you play it on Hard or Nightmare.

These are just difficulty choices, very different than pretending an ending didn't happen so the expansion can make sense

I mean - if your character is dead, he's dead. End of story. Play as an orlesian grey warden.

Yeah, if he's dead he's dead. Except he's alive now and aaaaaah what the fuck Shepard you were supposed to be dead

What do you care if someone else is dumb enough to import and play a dead character?

I care because the dead warden ending is now relegated to "bad end, retard. Try again" status. Writer lazyness. Both endings were real, now one is the "win", "real" ending.

Dele said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

No, it makes perfect since. In ME if you died the game was over. In DA if you died you were still auto ressed if one of your party was alive. So its simply being consistent within the mechanics of the game. :lol:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Twinkle said:
Silellak said:
Brother None said:
Silellak said:

Embrace eternity.

:lol: I was going to post that.

Gosling

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Gosling said:

The expansion doesn't account for the death. It pretends the previous ending didn't happen and you chose the "canon" one, because they couldn't be arsed to make a story that could accomodate both endings. Your character's death, tragic and sad and all? Yeah, didn't happen. Have sum expansion that follows the story you were supposed to follow, dumbfuck. lul.

They just didn't care

Except the expansion accounts for the death. You are supposed to play as a different grey warden.
It would be great if you could import your dead char's decisions so that the new grey warden you play would have to deal with their consequences.
The way I see it they offer you two canon options: play as a completely new warden, or use the character who officially stayed alive in the original game. The possibility to import a dead character is there for the lulz. (And to please morons, of course)
It's just an option to cheat that would have been otherwise modded in by other people anyways. Like a console command. And bio admits that it's illogical and is essentially a cheat based on make-believe. For me this doesn't make the final death less important in the game context. But we are going in circles, aren't we?. I feel you man and agree that it shouldn't have been implemented. It's just not the biggest of the game's problems.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Brother None said:
I'm pretty sure Mass Effect lore dictates that having sex with Tali means she dies. But there is always a way to satisfy horny fans.

Gosling said:
Except the expansion accounts for the death. You are supposed to play as a different grey warden.

Oh. For some reason I missed this.

Play as an orlesian grey warden

so, it's not horrible as Shepard-didn't-really-die. It's all good, then. Still, it needs this

It would be great if you could import your dead char's decisions so that the new grey warden you play would have to deal with their consequences.

bhlaab

Erudite
Well great now I know the ending of Dragon Age.

Hey, rpg developers: Stop making the main char die at the end for fuck's sake, especially if you're planning to have DLC. It's the hackiest attempt at trying to generate an emotional connection to the game ever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hey, rpg developers: Stop making the main char die at the end for fuck's sake, especially if you're planning to have DLC. It's the hackiest attempt at trying to generate an emotional connection to the game ever."

You are an idiot. You onyl die in DA if you CHOOSE to make the sacrifice. Theyn don't 'make' you die.

Anyways, while it would be cooler if they just had the story with the new Orleasean Warden take account of the fact a PC died; this isn't a big deal. Like someone mentioned, this option is for crybabies. If you aren't a crybaby this shouldn't effect you at all. FFS

" The only exceptions are the Origins promotional items and DLC loot, which were meant for Origins alone."

This. This is fucked up. Why the fuck not? I based my fuckin' character equipment on some of the DLC shit. FFS

"There are no romances options available in Awakening. The story is focused more on the mission at hand and the new threat to Ferelden"

No problem with not having new romances since the expansion will be toom short anyways. But, not continuing old ones? That's a cop out.

"There are a total of 32 new rogue and warrior talents in Awakening (including their specialization abilities). For those keeping track, that is 56 total new spells and abilities in Awakening. There are a total of 6 new specializations in Awakening - two for each class"

Kewl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom