Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Avernum 6 reviewed

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avernum 6; Spiderweb Software

The Gamer Studio <a href="http://www.thegamerstudio.com/pc/523-avernum-6.html">takes a look</a> at Spiderwebs latest entry, Avernum 6.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Avernum 6 isn't a game that will be known for amazing graphics, and flashy special effects. It may not look like Oblivion, or have the overly cliché characters that the Final Fantasy series has, but that's because it doesn't need them. Avernum 6 is about the adventure, the character building, and offering gamers an RPG experience that isn't seen too often anymore. In Avernum 6's case, the graphics are good. They get the job done, and they work fantastically with the type of RPG the game is. One downfall is the character portraits. They look bad, and out of place. Looking at the artwork shown during the opening of the game, which looks great, makes the portraits even more depressing.
<br>
<br>
Avernum 6 isn't for everybody, but it is definitely a game RPG fanatics can put a good amount of hours into. There is plenty to be done in this game. It feels like a well-made RPG from the early 90's, so it will tug at the nostalgia strings of your heart. It's worth checking out – scratch that – it's worth playing. You won't see another RPG in the same style, and as well made and enjoyable as Avernum 6 is.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<i>Don't let the simple graphics fool you. This is a top-notch RPG.</i>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14671">RPGWatch</A>

That review was a gay balancing act. It's OK, no it's great...

I'm tired of reviewers who don't have the integrity and intelligence to straightforwardly and coherently write what they genuinely think about the game they're reviewing.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan has had a sexy time with Avernum 6, although it proved incapable of immersing him sufficiently, and as of a week ago it is no longer being played. More dedicated men of worth might fare better.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan is listening to K'naan, who advises him that this question has been asked twice, now, in more than one and less than three threads. His answer remains the same!

No alt; all Conan.

spekkio

Arcane
:shock:
34zjb7a.jpg

I hate how 1/2 of any indie game review is the reviewer essentially apologizing for the games bad graphics. Doesn't really say anything else other then its got good turn based combat.

The Barbarian said:
Conan has had a sexy time with Avernum 6, although it proved incapable of immersing him sufficiently, and as of a week ago it is no longer being played. More dedicated men of worth might fare better.

It could indeed be black cat, embracing her weak male-ness.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Paula Tormeson IV said:

I'm tired of reviewers who don't have the integrity and intelligence to straightforwardly and coherently write what they genuinely think about the game they're reviewing.
i think in this case it fits the game fairly well, actually.
it is precisely how i felt when playing, constantly switching from meh over ok to great and vice versa, and i think many people outside of the spiderweb fancrowd would feel the same. in the end, i settled for great due to the well-implemented ending slides, one of the major deciding factors for the fate of avernum being a pretty kick-ass miss-able line of side quests, the amount of multiple solutions to quests, and the sheer amount of special encounters, most of which were pretty memorable, but the game is definitely not to everyone's liking.

SuicideBunny said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:

i think in this case it fits the game fairly well, actually.
it is precisely how i felt when playing, constantly switching from meh over ok to great and vice versa, and i think many people outside of the spiderweb fancrowd would feel the same. in the end, i settled for great due to the well-implemented ending slides, one of the major deciding factors for the fate of avernum being a pretty kick-ass miss-able line of side quests, the amount of multiple solutions to quests, and the sheer amount of special encounters, most of which were pretty memorable, but the game is definitely not to everyone's liking.
^An improvement.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think people outside the so-called "Spiderweb crowd" actually would feel more something like "barf this is ugly as shit", and if not that probably "why are there so many containers? I thought this wasn't KOTOR". And if they dodge those two bullets because of how sophisticated and smart they are they'll finally succumb with a bellowing "fffuuuu-, this combat is terribly boring and devoid of any depth".

Technoviking

Novice
Jasede said:
And if they dodge those two bullets because of how sophisticated and smart they are they'll finally succumb with a bellowing "fffuuuu-, this combat is terribly boring and devoid of any depth".
I take it you're not a part of the 'I masturbate over Arcanum' crowd.

Anyway, this game is a no brainer for anyone who enjoyed the preceding games.

Black

Arcane
grapix look like shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom