Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines Revival Project

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href="http://wiki.thedaedalus.net/mediawiki/index.php/Bloodlines_Revival">Some Modders</a> decided to update Bloodlines to the latest version of the Source Engine.
<br>
Look at this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYuDYgRf5fo&feature=player_embedded">tube video.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The Bloodlines Revival Project is a community effort to update the original Vampire Bloodlines game, bringing it to the current Source engine.
<br>
<br>
To achieve this, a dedicated team of hobbyists are working on converting the original content into the new engine. This has the following benefits:
<br>
<br>
-Fixing all of the bugs still found in the original games (the original developers were only able to release one patch - it's up to us!)
<br>
-Among these bugs were slowdowns, bad framerates, quest issues, graphical problems/glitches, and a serious control issue present for most people that locks up all controls for several moments periodically.
<br>
-To bring the fans of the game an SDK to work with
<br>
-This allows fans to make their own Bloodlines content - maps, textures, quests, npcs - anything and everything
<br>
<br>
We are releasing this as public domain. All source code for any tools our team creates is freely available and we will never charge anything for what we release.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
I'm sure you agree that the improved graphics are totally worth the effort.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97456-bloodlines-revival-project-revealed.html">Gamebanshee</A>

Better is better, no doubt, but I honestly don't see much difference there - looks as 2004 as ever. Maybe, because it's not a game to gawk at the scenery, and I've only ever paid it enough attention to set the mood and nothing else.
Still, good cause. If they finish it and Valve doesn't shut them down, maybe, it'll give me incentive to dare spoil the past fun and replay the game.

Tycn

Savant
Game could do with a texture pack. Valve probably wouldn't mind, they actually care about their image.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If some cool modder makes good extra content I will care, but new graphix? meh.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Why are you guys(?) whining about improved graphics when the truly important part is this?:
-Among these bugs were slowdowns, bad framerates, quest issues, graphical problems/glitches, and a serious control issue present for most people that locks up all controls for several moments periodically.

Seriously, some of you guys go into bitch-mode about anything and everything. As if bitching without a reason were cool, or something...

No effort required from you. Improved graphics, squashed bugs and modding tools will be provided (if this ever gets finished, which I doubt). You're not required to pay anything to benefit from this.
Is there reason for praise? Only if it gets finished and you actually give a fuck about the changes.
Is there reason to bitch? No, simply no.
FFS

fastpunk

Arbiter
...slowdowns, bad framerates...

Awesome! Maybe then I'll be able to play this game at resolutions higher than 1024x768 and low detail. Even NWN2 runs smoother than Bloodlines.

Black

Arcane
Are they removing most of the combat later in game and replacing it with proper role playing?
If not, not interested.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Uh, Wesp has pretty much squashed every bug, error and typo Bloodlines had. I haven't experienced bad framerate either, not after applying his patches.

So yes, it looks like a facial uplift, with the added benefit that SDK might bring something cool in the future.

Mostly I think it's the grandiose statement which seems to ignore that other people have worked on this issue beforehand. I really, really hope they are in contact with Wesp already so they don't have to re-invent wheel.

Or hey, let's have another lulzy faction fight ala Team Gizka.

GarfunkeL said:
Uh, Wesp has pretty much squashed every bug, error and typo Bloodlines had. I haven't experienced bad framerate either, not after applying his patches.
The issues were engine related due to the early version of Source Bloodlines was built on. No patches fix them, we just now have the hardware to brute force performance out of it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well his patches did something as well. My earlier desktop had issues with non-patched BL, as in it worked really, really slowly. Patched, the performance improved significantly. Not into smooth and fine but playable.

But yeah, the problems with the engine can nowadays be brute-forced.

Silellak

Cipher
Shannow said:
Is there reason to bitch?
KodexKoolKredits.PNG

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
entertainer said:
great news for konjad

Indeed it is! I really hope they will release it soon and cooperate with Wesp!

Bloodlines with it's own editor... imagine all things you could do with Jeanette the game...

Konjad said:
entertainer said:
great news for konjad

Indeed it is! I really hope they will release it soon and cooperate with Wesp!

Bloodlines with it's own editor... imagine all things you could do with Jeanette the game...
If the last third of the game were redone.. fucking greatest game ever.

Yeah, I said it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Ninth Circle said:
The issues were engine related due to the early version of Source Bloodlines was built on. No patches fix them, we just now have the hardware to brute force performance out of it.

I managed to get it to play very decently on a 2004/05 computer last year with wesp's patch installed.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The video looks exactly like the vanilla game to me. Maybe that's because I suck at the whole graphixxx thing, but it looked pretty much the same. Nevertheless, if they manage to do what they set out to do (doubtful), then I guess this is a good thing.

Gragt said:
The Ninth Circle said:

I managed to get it to play very decently on a 2004/05 computer last year with wesp's patch installed.
Define "decently". On my old XP 3200+/6800GT machine with wesp's patch it was sub-20 FPS in Hollywood.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Comparision screenshots would be nice... I can't see a diffrence in graphics.

Araanor

Liturgist
Decline of whining.

Good news. I've had annoying slowdowns even with heavy hardware.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Havoc said:
Comparision screenshots would be nice... I can't see a diffrence in graphics.

You're not gonna see much (if any) difference. Updating the engine should not yield obvious graphics improvements, unless someone actually takes the time to work on the visual assets separately. The main benefit of the engine update would be improved performance.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Can't Activision/Blizzard throw a legal hissy fit over this?

I recall something similar happening when someone tried to convert morrowind into the oblivion engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom