Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial A Tribute to Two Worlds

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Reality Pump Studios; Two Worlds

From all the games that sucked Two Worlds seems to be the best one, <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=18761">according to OXM.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">There have been many guilty pleasures. On the OXM team we have Baja (Mike), Bulletwitch (Ben), Wet (Gillen) and Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (myself). But Two Worlds stands tall as the game that has managed to get so much wrong and yet provide strangely high amounts of entertainment. If you haven't tried it yourself and you're really bored and you see it second-hand and you fancy something different from the norm, then you know what to do. Go on. Just don't get on the damn horses.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
I guess being the best of all bad games is kind of an achievement.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97635-a-tribute-to-two-worlds.html">GB</A>

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It wasnt all that bad, the game just lacked challenge. I played through half of a game with a wooden club as a weapon cause anything better would kill almost any enemy in 1 or 2 hits. I stopped playing at about level 45 cause I totally lost interest.

The most disappointing thing about it is when you dedicate 30-40 hours to it, you try to enjoy it but the game gives you nothing in return.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The game is pretty damn good. Fuck this bullshit article with its pathetic premise.

Markman said:
It wasnt all that bad, the game just lacked challenge. I played through half of a game with a wooden club as a weapon cause anything better would kill almost any enemy in 1 or 2 hits. I stopped playing at about level 45 cause I totally lost interest.

The most disappointing thing about it is when you dedicate 30-40 hours to it, you try to enjoy it but the game gives you nothing in return.
The balance was overhauled in the last official patch. It's more difficult now. My first playthrough was with the final version on hard; also the latest playthrough, except I wasn't able to beat the final boss that time ... was trying to beat the game as fast as possible ... the boss was too hard ... didn't feel like grinding.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FP view sucks, and 'npc schedules' are overrated.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah I remember the reviews for it stating it was an Oblivion clone and that it wasn't as good as Oblivion. As if that were a bad thing...

It is another example of how grossly influenced journalists are with big name games. I certainly believe that hyped games get an automatic bonus of at least one full letter grade.

Castanova

Prophet
Oblivion does sound better on paper though. An epic storyline involving political intrigue, realistic NPCs, several towns, factions/guilds, fluid character system, soil erosion, various LARP-baiting features, etc. Now, all these features nonetheless added up to a bad game while Two Worlds, a far less ambitious title, was significantly more fun. I can still see why a journalist would give better reviews to Oblivion regardless of the influence of Bethesda and their brand.

Heartwarden

Educated
Out of the Xbox360 RPGs list, Two Worlds is by far the most fun one to play (not including any j here.). It's so quirky and charming. Like a foreign guy mish-mashing everything he tries to do but bugger it I can't help but love that goofy, innocent smile he's wearing.

I'm scared of Two Worlds Two being better handled - While it might be a technically better game, I fear that it will be just a dull sandbox experience.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Only thing I remember about this game is the fucking hilarious voice acting. Could never figure out if it was intentional just to be funny, or if it was just seriously that awful.

Morkar Left

I got the game with the latest patch. Nice graphics with a good compromise between look and performance. The game reminded me a lot of Divine Divinity in 3D (without the environment interaction) instead of oblivion or gothic.
Riding was a bit clunky but acceptable and useful in the early game hours. If you got stuck with your mount it was usually in a place where you shouldnt ride a horse anyway.
The voice acting in german was excellent (sometimes even better than the Gothic-series). All in all a very good action-rpg with some balancing-exploits.

Castanova said:
Oblivion does sound better on paper though. An epic storyline involving political intrigue, realistic NPCs, several towns, factions/guilds, fluid character system, soil erosion, various LARP-baiting features, etc. Now, all these features nonetheless added up to a bad game while Two Worlds, a far less ambitious title, was significantly more fun. I can still see why a journalist would give better reviews to Oblivion regardless of the influence of Bethesda and their brand.
Two Worlds has several towns and villages, like Oblivion, but the differences in their cultures make the game seem closer to Morrowind in terms of looks than to Oblivion.

Two Worlds has, indeed, a far more interesting world to explore, than either Oblivion or Morrowind, if you discount the dungeons, which are pretty good in Morrowind, and crap in Two Worlds, although fortunately only a tiny part of the main quest-line in the latter.

Oblivion doesn't have factions, it has "guilds" that each exist in their own world quite apart from any consequences of their own actions. Two Worlds has seven factions, and their relationships are much more realistic (to begin with, they actually HAVE competing interests, and the game world changes depending on your faction actions).

The world of Oblivion is rather empty. Sure it's big, but there's nothing in it except generic ruins and random dungeons. You have the feeling that you're continually jogging beyond the proper borders of the game world, and keep checking your map that you're actually still within the intended area where there should be some action there. (That feeling is even much worse in Fallout 3.)

Oh, and Two Worlds has zero level-scaling, and a nice variety of monsters, from which Morrowind, and not just Oblivion, could have learned something if it hadn't been an older game. (It's one of the main reasons why exploration in Two Worlds is much more fun than in Morrowind. Another reason is that, while Vivec beats any town or city in Two Worlds so easily it's not even polite to mention it, the inter-city game world in Two Worlds is actually more varied, not just in terms of monsters.)

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Yuuuuuuurkk
16459-1-1223617924.jpg

kris

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
The world of Oblivion is rather empty. Sure it's big, but there's nothing in it except generic ruins and random dungeons. You have the feeling that you're continually jogging beyond the proper borders of the game world, and keep checking your map that you're actually still within the intended area where there should be some action there. (That feeling is even much worse in Fallout 3.)

I tried two worlds for a short while yesterday. almost as much as I tried on oblivion. I couldn't fail to notice how much more living the world of two worlds was. I could see fields with farmers working on it and it looked qutie natural. Still it suffers just like the ES game of a world that is 90% hostile, which makes it very unrealistic. Also after my maybe two hours of playing I was yet to see a single woman or child.

(Will likely not play it anymore, got awful motion sickness. The horse killed me totally.)

aleph

Arcane
I actually like how horses are implemented in TW. Feels more like riding a living animal and not like driving a hover bike or motorcycle like in oblivion. I have only played TW with the latest patch though, maybe it was worse before.

My initial impression of Two Worlds was pretty negative as well. What helped me get into it was realizing that you could try to avoid blows by back-jumping. It's just a general, all-purpose dodge move, but it makes the combat OK, with potential for excitement, which I experienced rather often.

kris said:
Still it suffers just like the ES game of a world that is 90% hostile, which makes it very unrealistic.
Quite right. The Gothic games avoided that feeling by making all the monsters, apart from the orcs, lizardmen, skeletons, and demons, growl or hesitate before attacking, and if you could run far enough while they waved around their dicks, they'd continue to eat grass or whatever. Even if they ran after you, they'd eventually stop to thump their chests and you could escape them. (Not that avoiding the blades and bites of enemies was ever very easy in, at least, NotR.)

Still, Two Worlds is an excellent Diablo 3D.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
fizzelopeguss said:
Stop being dumbass faggots, two worlds was fucking horrendous.

I don't know what the fuck this is all about, but this sounds like the voice of reason in this shitty thread

Fens

Ford of the Llies
two worlds isn't all that bad, but the atmosphere suffers from retarded things like houses without doors (especially with roadside inns this a very facepalm issue... just put a permanently shut door somewhere) or huge houses with a single room inside when you enter. the horses did get stuck a lot when i played it, but that was probably because i wasn't exactly using roads all the time.

also playing a necromancer and being forced to fight other necromancers without the possibility to talk to them at all was a big letdown

it is a gem that would've needed a lot more polishing but is not worse than oblivion (apart from the missing mod support, that might have saved it).

Apparently, it's mainly the 1.4 patch that made the game harder:

*) - Monsters strength and HP rebalanced
*) - Bandits strength rebalanced
*) - Bows strength rebalanced
*) - Melee combat weapons rebalanced
*) - Traps rebalanced
*) - Magic rebalanced
*) - Skills rebalanced
*) - Skill requirements rebalanced
*) - Equipment requirements rebalanced
*) - Weight rebalanced
*) - Objects stacking rebalanced
*) - fighting from horse - not so powerful
*) - Immunity added to some enemies (e.g. skeletons are immune for piercing and slashing, fire dragons are immune to Fire)

Except in 1.6 ... "Character developing curve not as steep over level 25."

The horses were fixed in 1.6 ... I never had problems with them.

I don't recall skeletons being immune to piercing and slashing, but I recall carrying some extra blunt weapons to make killing them easier.

I still play it quite frequently when I'm bored of most of my other stuff. When the sequel comes out, I'll get that too.

And there's one thing you can say about them, they're keeping a stream of informative news releases coming out bi-weekly. That's more than a lot of developers do. Some won't leak much of anything till a month before the damn game is on the shelves.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Stop being dumbass faggots, two worlds was fucking horrendous.
It wasn't fucking horrendous, so obviously you don't really know what you're talking about.

It fucking was horrendous you fucker... listen you wanna fight over it, cuz i'll fuckin' mash you up yea?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom