Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Qwinn went Next-Gen

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Famous <a href="http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=649">PST modder</a> Qwinn focused his attention on the best RPG since Arcanum: <a href="http://social.bioware.com/project/2563/">Dragon Age.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">This mod has *nothing* to do with Dragon Age: Awakening. Yes, I know Awakening has a lot of bugs that need fixing. Perhaps Bioware would like to contract out for me to do the same thing for the expansion that I've done for Origins, and include that work as part of their official patch. I'm actually quite serious about that, Bioware, I contract out game design and development for a living. I'd be interested in full-time, part-time or contract work. Please contact me at pescalona@verizon.net if you're interested. Consider this part one of my resume. :)
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Dear BioWare,
<br>
Qwinn fixed your game and needs a job, so how about you contact him or something?
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97736-unofficial-dragon-age-origins-fixpack-v11-released.html">GB</A>

StrangeCase

Educated
madbringer said:
He'd like to work for Bioware. The man must be, clearly, quite insane.

...? Does Bioware abuse their employees or something? AFAIK, they're making tons of money right now, he probably just wants in on the action. He likes to tinker with game code, why not get paid for it?

Unless you mean "by working for Bioware, in order to test his work, he'd have to play Bioware games over and over" which actually sounds pretty painful, especially if he's checking for dialogue.

Not having a proper job at 40 is pretty creepy.

He posted an ad on the SHS forums a year or so ago, looking for some (or should I say any) kind of programming job, and mentioning his PST modding along his credentials.

The ad got removed some months later, due to the harassment from the RPG Codex members (mostly spacemoose), though.

Yeah, I'm not necessary a better person, but I'm just hoping that I won't be like this at 40. Is all.

Actually, hey, there's a copy of the ad in our Retardo Land:
Qwinn said:
Hello to any prospective employers in the fields of computer programming, copy editing or any other fields that overlap with the work done here.

My name is Paul Escalona, and I am seeking employment, ideally in (but not limited to) the gaming industry as a computer programmer. Although these mods were definitely an act of love for a classic CRPG game, I am hoping that they also demonstrate skillsets which prospective employers would find attractive.

Specifically: I wrote my first fragment of WeiDU code on April 16, 2008 (that glorious - heh - moment is immortalized here). From conception to completion, including all time required to learn the scripting language making this possible, all 3 major projects were done in 49 days with no supervision.

Why don't I have a job right now? Laid low by the same malady that's struck down so many others - coding oneself into a niche market. My last 12 years of work experience has been in a little known programming language called Progress (similar to Oracle) which has very limited employment prospects in any given area. That programming work has been in the fields of manufacturing and distribution (as in order entry, purchasing, accounts receivable and payable, general ledger, etc.) and I do consider myself expert in those fields (including management of those departments). Some financial background also.

I'm hoping this demonstrates that experience in a specific language isn't much of a barrier for me. I have been programming for over 20 years, since I was 11 years old. Over the years I have become adept at many different languages, including PASCAL, Assembler, BASIC and non-visual C++. I really do learn best by doing, and as long as I have decent documentation for the language I need to work with available to me, I can figure it out on my own very quickly. I can also appreciate that learning a new language on the job would command a lower initial salary, and am quite willing to negotiate on that basis.

All that said, if a prospective employer is more impressed with the 3,000 corrections to the dialog file that I managed to do in the middle of all that, I would certainly be interested in any opportunities for copy editing work as well.

If you have any opportunities available, please let me know by PM, and we can discuss matters in more detail.

Thank you,

Paul Escalona

Given the state of the economy right now, any job involves at least a little groveling. Companies have certainly hired on modders, though it seems like most are more interested in large high profile projects that are rarely finished rather then mundane bugfixers.

Qwinn

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's most embarrasing - a 40-year-old modder begging to work for a big company or a big company unable to fix bugs within their own game that a 40-year-old modder makes short work of?

Qwinn

Squirly

Educated
Grunker said:
What's most embarrasing - a 40-year-old modder begging to work for a big company or a big company unable to fix bugs within their own game that a 40-year-old modder makes short work of?

Qwinn

Walking in to class naked!

But it was all a dream. Just a dream.

Qwinn

ady5

Educated
You're all just jealous on his success and secretly want to make sweet sweet sex love with him and his Progress knowing dick.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
he should have moved to fo3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom