Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Odo is Doing VO for Fallout: New Vegas

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Ren&eacute; Auberjonois, known for his role as Odo from Star Trek : Deep Space Nine, will do voice over work for the bestest Elders Scrolls Mod ever, Fallout: New Vegas.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:WorstUsernameEver/Ren%C3%A9_Auberjonois_doing_voice_work_for_Fallout_:_New_Vegas" target="_blank">At least such is the info Ausir provided.</a></p>

Razz

Educated
I only know him as Janos Audron from Legacy of Kain.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Overweight Manatee said:
Mighty Mouse said:
This is news? Who is Odo? No, don't tell me.
I suppose the news is that Obsidian won't be spending 80% of the budget to hire someone you DO know.

a) not Obsidian's call to make
b) Says who?

deuxhero said:
Gann took 80% of the budget?

c) Who's Gann?
d) Yes, voice acting budgets get very large if you include big names

I was referring to Bethesda with their reliance on certain high profile actors that voice half a paragraph of dialog before dieing.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
From what I've heard voice acting pays very shittily, even in big Hollywood productions (I think hugo weaving said it on an interview about voicing one of the transformers).
Which begs the question why DO known actors take on these jobs?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cos they have nothing to do, as a favour, networking/don't burn bridges, build resume, for fun, $ even if they don't need it, professionalism, for their kids etc
I wonder how much Whoopi Goldberg was paid to voice Gaia in Captain Planet.
Useless triva: the guy who played Uncle Phil in The Fresh Prince voiced Shredder in TMNT cartoon.

Lavoisier said:
From what I've heard voice acting pays very shittily, even in big Hollywood productions (I think hugo weaving said it on an interview about voicing one of the transformers).

It pays (relatively) poorly if you aren't known. If you are the kind of person whose name will end up as the first bullet point of your game's features, you can be paid quite a lot. Maybe not as much in total as if you were in an actual movie, but I'm sure if you look at the amount of time spent Liam Neeson made a pretty penny for the whole day of recording his Fallout 3 lines probably took.

Brother None said:
deuxhero said:
Gann took 80% of the budget?

c) Who's Gann?
d) Yes, voice acting budgets get very large if you include big names

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispin_Freeman

Apparently the guy who voiced Gann in MotB is pretty damn big. Still, I doubt he commanded anywhere near what Liam Neeson or Patrick Stewart did because he's specifically a VO guy and not a well known actor. Bethesda was paying them top dollar for a marketable name that everyone would recognize, not because they had great voices (though they do).

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ausir said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Odo? Who the fuck is Odo? There is only Paul Lewiston.

Denny Crane!
Oh for god's sake, Denny! *facepalm*

Overweight Manatee said:
Apparently the guy who voiced Gann in MotB is pretty damn big.
Eh, relatively. Gann was Freeman's best performance, after a long pile of boring and forgettable jrpgs and animes. He's pretty damn big like Steven Blum is huge and everywhere.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Well there goes the VO budget, I wonder who's the guy they'll get to voice every single random male NPC.

CraigCWB

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
Lavoisier said:

It pays (relatively) poorly if you aren't known. If you are the kind of person whose name will end up as the first bullet point of your game's features, you can be paid quite a lot. Maybe not as much in total as if you were in an actual movie, but I'm sure if you look at the amount of time spent Liam Neeson made a pretty penny for the whole day of recording his Fallout 3 lines probably took.

http://kotaku.com/5423288/mass-effect-2 ... l-of-stars

Given that and how profitable ME2 was anyway, I think Obsidian probably can afford more than just Odo from Deep Space Nine :)

I guess it depends on how much money they are getting from Bethesda.

Andyman Messiah said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Apparently the guy who voiced Gann in MotB is pretty damn big.
Eh, relatively. Gann was Freeman's best performance, after a long pile of boring and forgettable jrpgs and animes. He's pretty damn big like Steven Blum is huge and everywhere.

Ehh, forgot that he was only doing English dubs for stuff instead of the actual guy voicing the original characters. So not all that huge, but he does definitely have a good voice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I.C. Wiener said:
Well there goes the VO budget, I wonder who's the guy they'll get to voice every single random male NPC.

No shit. I do hope Obsidian can approach Bethesda and have them hire at least a few more people to do the normal VO's.

Ausir

Arcane
Dukat was also a pretty good character, at least until he turned into a Pah Wraith prophet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom