Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Unconfirmed: The Elder Scrolls V to be Announced at E3

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

<p>I know most of you can hardly wait anymore for the next installment in the Elder Scrolls series to be released. Hence there are good news for you. According to <a href="http://abstract360.com/2010/06/elder-scrolls-v-to-be-announced-at-e3/" target="_blank">certain rumours</a> TES V might be announced at E3.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>According to the most recent issue of Famitsu some companies still have many surprises planned for E3. Electronic Arts, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Sega, and Ubisoft among others confirmed that they still have unannounced surprises. One thing that stands out is Bethesda, who listed &ldquo;secret&rdquo; under their surprise category, and with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion having been released March 20, 2006, the next installment in the franchise is overdue at just over four years since the last game. This would not be unsuspected as an issue of Official Xbox Magazine years ago reported that the next installment should release sometime around 2011. That said, this years E3 would be a prime time to begin building hype for the game, also, Oblivion had a four year development cycle from the launch of Morrowind in 2002 to the release date in 2006.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Gamebanshee can confirm this:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Actually, I can also back up this claim. While booking my appointment with Bethesda, I was told "We are not revealing the titles which will be available at the show as of yet but we promise you they should not be missed!" Fallout: New Vegas won't be the only hands-on preview I'll be returning with then, I suppose.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98112-unconfirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-to-be-announced-at-e3.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Ausir

Arcane
Doubtful, Pete Hines already stated that they do not announce anything at big trade shows. And they announced their line-up at E3 to be FNV, Rage, Brink and Hunted.

If they'll be announcing TES5, I think QuakeCon is more likely, given that they now own it.

Andhaira

Arcane
If they learned their lesson and wont put level scaling in, this could be good news.

Donkey Balls said:
Unlikely, they don't have any experience with MMOs. And why would they risk their fanbase?

You mean like they did when they dumbed down Morrowind, lost all their old fans but gained new Xbawx retard kiddies?

TES: MMO for the Xbox 360 would do just as well as a Night elf blowjob dispenser in the middle of a World of Warcraft convention.

Ausir

Arcane
Donkey Balls said:
Unlikely, they don't have any experience with MMOs. And why would they risk their fanbase?

Bethesda is not making it itself, ZeniMax Online Studios, which they set up several years ago, is.

Donkey Balls said:
Stereotypical Villain said:
You mean like they did when they dumbed down Morrowind, lost all their old fans but gained new Xbawx retard kiddies?
Because Morrowind totally wasn't an xbawks game? Retard.

The two games aren't that different actually.

The first Xbox, and if you compare Oblivion and Morrowind... well, it's like comparing Morrowind to Daggerfall.

Now go create another alt and continue to work on your patch, emotional drog.

Ausir

Arcane
Anyway, they hired people with experience with MMOs for their new online studio that says on its very website that it has access to Bethesda IPs. Given that Fallout Online is currently the subject of a lawsuit, what else could it be?

Dny

Educated
Donkey Balls said:
Oblivion and Morrowind have pretty much the same basic gameplay mechanics.

I know you are a dumb troll but I feel the need to rectify this point of contention here. They can't be sharing their core gameplay mechanics when one behaves like an ACTION-y game and the other like a RPG. If your character is not skilled with the weapon you are using you will be hardly hitting the enemy if at all in fact even a warrior build feels like a PITA in the beginning of the game.

Oblivion doesn't behave like a traditional CRPG but more like Zelda. Your stats change a bit of the damage you do but you ALWAYS hit even if you play an anemic, feeble wizard. You can beat everyone using swords at the Arena even if you're under level ten with a pure wizard build, I should know, I stormed it. As long as you, the player, didn't miss, your character won't.
In Morrowind it's your character that will hit or miss, not you the player.

Morrowind, with all its warts, is still a true CRPG at its core and behaves like one. Oblivion completely departed into LARP-ing territory and there is little if any limits given to your character.
You can't easily be master of any (all) guilds in Morro like in Oblivion. In morro if the talents related to what the guild needs are not at high enough of a level you cannot progress in the guild quests. In Oblivion there is no such restrictions and you can be a pure wizard working for the fighters guild.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'm gonna go with fighter-mage-sorcerer-thief-assassin-paladin-summoner.

Donkey Balls

Educated
Dny said:
Donkey Balls said:

I know you are a dumb troll but I feel the need to rectify this point of contention here. They can't be sharing their core gameplay mechanics when one behaves like an ACTION-y game and the other like a RPG. <insert fanboy bullshit here>
Jesus, are you dumb or what?! Who the fuck cares whether your sword hits shit or not, we're talking about what the damn game is actually like, not the nuances of its combat mechanics. In both games you explore a huge copy-pasted world, have a use-based skill system, most of the skills are the same, the same with the spells, the setting's the same (just different region). Oblivion's the closest thing to a Morrowind sequel that you'll ever see. Geez, stop being a butthurt bitch, you may not like Oblivion, but denying that it's a rehash of Morrowind is just retarded. It may be a "streamlined" rehash, but it's still a rehash.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Drog said:
Drog said:
Who the fuck cares whether your sword hits shit or not, we're talking about what the damn game is actually like, not the nuances of its combat mechanics.
Drog never fails to deliver. :thumbsup:

Donkey Balls

Educated
Sceptic said:
Drog said:
Drog said:
Who the fuck cares whether your sword hits shit or not, we're talking about what the damn game is actually like, not the nuances of its combat mechanics.
Drog never fails to deliver.
And by basic I meant:
Donkey Balls said:
In both games you explore a huge copy-pasted world, have a use-based skill system, most of the skills are the same, the same with the spells.
Moran.

Ausir

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if, if it's received well in New Vegas, they added a hardcore mode to TES5.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Ausir said:
I wouldn't be surprised if, if it's received well in New Vegas, they added a hardcore mode to TES5.

That could be an interesting move, though I suppose it depends more on whether or not they're actually fond of Hardcore Mode themselves. While I like the idea of it in New Vegas, the very fact that it's very clearly stated as being wholly optional makes it seem like something of a concession for Obsidian's continued happiness as outsourced devs. I could be completely off base, but that's how it reads for me, especially based off of Bethesda's design strategy in Fallout 3.

The idea of a new TES game isn't necessarily bad, but I am concerned that we'll see a further paring down of gameplay mechanics. It seems sort of outlandish now, especially given the "streamlining" that went into Oblivion, but then again, I also felt that the first Mass Effect was pretty bare-bones and look how the second turned out...

Actually, you know, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to actually just drop most of the stats and skills in TES. You lose gameplay mechanics in the long run, but in theory it also allows the developer more time to focus on crafting stories and dialogue. If advancing in the Mage's Guild actually requires me to dedicate some serious game time to it, and I'm making the decision to do that and going through a larger, well written series of side quests in order to take my character on a game spanning route to tangible in-world power...well, I don't know that I'd really mind forfeiting the ability to become a master acrobat who is also in charge of the Fighter's Guild and is an exceptional cook. Because in this situation, none of those things mean anything. They affect the game very little, and the actual story not at all. If I do have to make that choice though, well then I know that what I'm doing is likely to have some weight, not just for the development of my character, but for the story as well.

I'm not saying that this is an ideal route for all roleplaying games, but most games in the genre do at least require you to make a decision about how you want to advance your character to the eventual exclusion of other possible paths. The last two Elder Scrolls games have lacked this, and thus have lacked focus for the story and the player. I don't mind playing in Bethesda's sandbox, it's a pretty good sandbox as far as such things go, but we've seen in Oblivion that without a specific focus for the player to grab onto while he plays that the borders of the box, and--as a result--what is possible in the box, become kind of fuzzy and nothing becomes as well developed as it should be.

This isn't a very Codexian line of thinking, certainly, but it is something to consider. At what point does our devotion to something visibly stat-based become slavish? There will always be a time and a place for skill checks and stat rolls, but at what point do we look up a dungeon wall to a treasure chest nestled in an alcove just out of our reach and say "Well, this is stupid. I am playing a physically fit young person who is capable of great physical feats, why can't I just scale this fucking wall?" instead of, "Someday, my beauty. Someday I will find the Master skill trainer for Jump, and when I do your thirty pieces of gold will be mine!" Many here will call the game that lets me do the first a LARPing simulator or a shooter, and maybe that's true, but it's also a game that is likely more realistic and intuitive than the game that forces me to do the second. Which doesn't mean the game won't suck, but all the same...

Again, something to consider as this conversation continues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom