Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview J.E. Sawyer chitchat at NMA

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); J.E. Sawyer

As part of its <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7143>Fallout developer profile thingy</a>, NMA has posted an <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7141>interview</a> with that gosh darned kooky ex-Black Isle, current Romero bitch <b>J.E. Sawyer</b>. Here's a fun quote.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Any last word to the Fallout fan base?
<br>
<br>
Chris Jones, Chris Avellone, and Scott Everts spent a lot of time working on that goddamned editor, so some of you should use it.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Silly Sawyer. Fallout fans only destroy, never create!

suibhne

Erudite
Choice quotation:

15. Where do you see computer RPGs going?

Straight to hell. There are very few companies making high-profile PC RPGs these days. Troika is one of the last pure PC RPG developer in the U.S. that I can think of. European companies seem to be one of the only bastions of hope. There are exceptions, of course, but I just don’t see a lot of buzz for anything new these days. I predict that we may go through another dry spell, followed by a new wave once someone realizes that no one is making any high-profile PC RPGs.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
[edit: to Pooper]
Did you try it? It's truly goddamn hard. I used up 2 weeks to learn dialogue and some scripting. It was difficult, but I was getting somewhere. I installed and configured an appropriate C compiler and read many, many scripts and dialogues, taking notes because there were many things like "if you change script x, be sure to include "aribeth=0" in file whores.h".
But I could never, ever get the mapper to run in the way it should. Even crafting a single map was beyond my ability. Despite reading numerous tutorials I couldn't import my great Harley texture I was gonna use.
So a small 1-map mod I was making with my friend will never be released :-(.
The, maybe a bit retarded, story was something like that:

You seek your elder brother who joined the Brotherhood of Steel some time ago. You know that he should be stationed in the city depicted on the map. When you reach the place, it turns out to be deserted.
The Brotherhood bunker, including a piece of asphalt road leading to it is behind a metal fence you can't climb over. On the other side of the fence is the majestic shape of a Harley. So you search the city, learning that it was deserted not long ago. You meet a team of raiders trying to get how much loot they can. Finally, you somehow find clippers which you use to get to the other side of the fence.
When investigating the bunker (I forgot the details on getting inside) you come across a computer and get access to BoS database. You find your brother in it and learn that all personnel was moved out a month ago. Why? Because The Government decided to build a huge dam, which in consequence would cause a massive flood in precisely this region. You check the date and *voila* - the flood should begin today. How to flee the masses of water? Either by killing raiders and taking their vehicle, or bribing the raiders, or fixing the apparently broken Harley and riding towards the sun. The End.

I know that this story is seriously wrong in many places. Of course, in Fallout universe there would be no one to build such a big dam, but hey - it was just gonna be a 1-map mod.

Voss

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Personally, Im not into his music that much. Im more of a Slayer type of guy.

Unlike Sawyer, Bjork isn't a dude.

@plin: careful, you might wind up slipping into Llamagodhood.

plin

Liturgist
Voss said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Personally, Im not into his music that much. Im more of a Slayer type of guy.

Unlike Sawyer, Bjork isn't a dude.

@plin: careful, you might wind up slipping into Llamagodhood.

I already have.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Josh has some excellent taste in music, almost makes me go into nerd mode and suggest other bands he should listen too. Björk isn't as cool as she used to be, but I fid myself listening to old Sugarcubes tracks all of a sudden - maybe it's ME that's getting old?

Hey Josh. You should listen to Sigur Rós - unless you haven't already. That's what tied me into Mogwai. Some people claim Godspeed you black emperor is good as well, although I can't vouch for this myself. Other excellent groups (on the electronic side) are scottish Boards of Canada, icelandic múm and swedish Differnet.

Great read, I always respected J E no matter if people didn't consider "ammo issues" FO canon or not. Sad that he's not working with crpgs anymore.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Whipporowill needs to listen to "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" by Godspeed You Black Emperor. That thirty minute EP kicks Sigur Rós/Mogwai's dicks in the dirt.

mearas

Novice
EEVIAC said:
Whipporowill needs to listen to "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" by Godspeed You Black Emperor. That thirty minute EP kicks Sigur Rós/Mogwai's dicks in the dirt.
Ouch, so false. GYBE!'s shtick is pretty much limited to crescendo; ambitient; crescendo; ambitient; repeat. If you're interested, I've a couple tapes featuring the local character who always mumbles about the weather, superimposed with me playing some garbage cans and some tumbleweed effects, that later blow up in a distinctly GYBE! fashion.

Sigur Ros is ridiculously superior. Also, try Supersilent..

Whipporowill

Erudite
EEVIAC said:

Sorry Eeviac, seems like I edited your post instead of quoting it.... ooops, the danger of having mod powers.

Here's MY line:

Is that the one with one long tune? I really hate stuff like that. Things longer than 10 minutes makes me want to break things. Bah.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Boards of Canada, Sigur Ros, Cujo, Godspeed, Explosions in the Sky, A Silver Mt. Zion, Sword Projects. All excellente,

Anyone here use soulseek? I'm 'willthethrilll' if you want to check out any of those artists. I've got cable so it should go pretty fast.

I would say so, though Geogaddi is also very nice.

Josh and every other person in this thread (except for that Slayer guy :wink:) has excellent taste in music.

plin

Liturgist
Music has the right to children got re-issued last month I think. It has an extra track on it.

Rayt

Liturgist
I really like Sugercubes by Bjork and dEUS. But anyway, she seems to be one of those artists who makes really odd shit that's almost impossible to like or even to be considered music but nonetheless does really well with the music snobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom