Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Previews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>GamePro reveal <a href="http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/215574/e3-2010-dungeon-siege-3/" target="_blank">what they saw behind closed doors</a> at Square Enix's booth with half a dozen other games journalists.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The other big talking point is plot -- Obsidian plans to bring its signature story style to the game with branching dialogue options and a deep relationship-building system with companion characters. There&rsquo;'s no dating sim, but you'll laugh when you see that the icon interface for dialogue sections is actually a tree with glowing branches that point to different conversation choices.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Gaming Bits <a href="http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/8047/1/" target="_blank">conclude that</a> Obsidian Entertainment is on to something excellent.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>You can shift the camera between three different views, and the camera pulls out automatically when a player joins you (as well as zooms in when they drop out). Online multiplayer hasn't been confirmed, but you can at least expect local co-op play. There are plenty of treasures chests to plunder, which offer random loot (something all of you RPGers crave). You can also expect the familiar conversational wheel. Obsidian Entertainment noted, however, that these conversational points are sprinkled throughout the game and are only used when necessary to advance the storyline.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15174">RPGWatch</a></p>

Shannow

Waster of Time
You can shift the camera between three different views, and the camera pulls out automatically when a player joins you (as well as zooms in when they drop out). Online multiplayer hasn't been confirmed, but you can at least expect local co-op play. There are plenty of treasures chests to plunder, which offer random loot (something all of you RPGers crave). You can also expect the familiar conversational wheel. Obsidian Entertainment noted, however, that these conversational points are sprinkled throughout the game and are only used when necessary to advance the storyline.
Like NWN2, three crappy camera modes? check
"Auto-zoom" being hyped as something good/relevant? check
No confirmed online co-op? check
Phat loot? check
"Familiar" conversation wheel? check
Don't worry no "redding is teh hard" outside of the main story arc with lots of action sprinkled in between conversations? check

Hmm, following that check list sounds more like Obsidian is onto something turd. But at least they try to be faithfull to the franchise, I'll give them that.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Bitching about phat lewt in a Diablo clone? Come on, dressing up your avatar in exceedingly overpowered gear is 90% of the fun in games like this. And what exactly was wrong with NWN 2 camera? I guess it sucked if you zoomed it in KotOR-style, but if you zoomed it out to the max it was fine.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Like NWN2, three crappy camera modes? check
"Auto-zoom" being hyped as something good/relevant? check
No confirmed online co-op? check
Phat loot? check
"Familiar" conversation wheel? check
Don't worry no "redding is teh hard" outside of the main story arc with lots of action sprinkled in between conversations? check

Hmm, following that check list sounds more like Obsidian is onto something turd. But at least they try to be faithfull to the franchise, I'll give them that.

Perhaps we're seeing the beginning of the glorious Turdor Dynasty!

KalosKagathos said:
And what exactly was wrong with NWN 2 camera? I guess it sucked if you zoomed it in KotOR-style, but if you zoomed it out to the max it was fine.

Just about everything is wrong with it. Clunky, cumbersome, unresponsive/hyper-responsive fits, sudden spasms... It would be a good camera if you could zoom out to the average ground view of a flight sim - at least it would allow the player not to see the ugly graphics and pretend there's some exciting gameplay on the ground.

Shannow

Waster of Time
KalosKagathos said:
Bitching about phat lewt in a Diablo clone? Come on, dressing up your avatar in exceedingly overpowered gear is 90% of the fun in games like this. And what exactly was wrong with NWN 2 camera? I guess it sucked if you zoomed it in KotOR-style, but if you zoomed it out to the max it was fine.
I was bitching? Wait a sec...ah yes:
There are plenty of treasures chests to plunder, which offer random loot (something all of you RPGers crave).
Yes, yes I was bitching.

And Angthoron put what's wrong with the NWN2 camera beautifully. I'd just like to add: You can waste 30 minutes fiddling with the options of 3 different camera modes and they Still. All. Suck. MotB introduced this nice feature where the camera'd zoom right up your char's arse whenever you left a building and wouldn't let you zoom right back out, no sir. You had to fiddle around to an angle where you'd not zoom "into the building". Great fun.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
I'm not even sure I played the same NWN 2 as the rest of the world did anymore.

Apparently so. Or your brain may have been turned off while playing the game. I'd wager on the latter. You probably also think the game is good for what it is.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Nah, I thought that NWN2 combat was crap, but that had more to do with it being RTwP. Camera didn't even begin to factor in my assessment.

Heartwarden

Educated
I have to wonder the ineptitude here if people can't get to grips with NwN2's camera. It's busted and worthless on two of the modes, true, but both of them are pure crap for the game anyway (Over the shoulder Dragon-Age or some worthless locked-in-place limited control. Eugh.). The Exploration camera isn't bad at all. Not good, but it does the job and I can't see how anyone could struggle with it save for getting jarred against buildings and worming into tight, poorly designed spots. As said before, if fully zoomed out, it rarely breaks.

Or perhaps this is thousands of hours of experience on the game talking, but really, I'd have been driven insane by the camera if it was anywhere close to the experience of, say, Dragon Age's.

Now, if you want to complain about the horrible interface, awful companion control, awkward path-finding, not-far-from-broken combat mechanics... Go ahead! Far more worthy of complaints than a bloody tolerable camera.

If Obsidian could get the team to simply tighten up the bare foundations of their combat systems and keep them sleek, I'd be interested in Dungeon Siege 3. Oh, and if they keep to having a standard camera and stop trying to do tricks with it. MoTB has shown interesting art and area design. Their writing is generally good across the board. They have had perfectly average cameras. Now they just need people with a clue on having a working and fair interface / combat system.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Heartwarden said:
I have to wonder the ineptitude here if people can't get to grips with NwN2's camera.
You fail, hard. Saying something is shit and a constant nuisance isn't the same as saying it's unplayable.
It's busted and worthless on two of the modes, true, but both of them are pure crap for the game anyway (Over the shoulder Dragon-Age or some worthless locked-in-place limited control. Eugh.). The Exploration camera isn't bad at all. Not good, but it does the job and I can't see how anyone could struggle with it save for getting jarred against buildings and worming into tight, poorly designed spots. As said before, if fully zoomed out, it rarely breaks.
As you said right here...
:roll:

I rarely suggest the dumbfuck tag after noticing a single post, but I'll make an exeption for you.
Unless, you're another Drog alt. In that case we're cool, bro.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
having an ISO camera that sometimes snaps around when near buildings in a game where you can pause and readjust the camera anytime, is far less annoying than in APHATURD where the camera snaps around whenever the fuck it likes, not only when near something.

Heartwarden

Educated
Shannow said:
I seem to recall calling it average, average being neither good, nor bad. It comes up to problems that I have seen in every game to date, namely, getting too close to a building facing backwards (or ramming the camera into the building), or worming into a spot that you shouldn't be able to reach. Here's a clue for you, that's a problem of pathing and getting into spots that wouldn't work with -any- camera. You, at most, have me agreeing to buildings being too intrusive on the camera, but it's still a rare case.

I had forgotten to add an 'Also' to the latter comment you so cheerily highlighted there, too, and granted it does become a little touchier the closer zoomed you are, it's still perfectly working and.. well, here's that word again, average!

So far you're fitting perfectly in place with this generation's 'it's-good-or-it's-shit' consolite mentality, tryhard. It's average. Does the job. Not splendid, not awful. Do you have any vitriol to spit at that while being cohesive or is that too hard?

By the way, not being able to get a perfectly serviceable camera to work in that it's enough for you to wail and scream about it to the same degree as wailing over the interface or combat is ineptitude. It can work perfectly fine. It's not hard to make it work. Pick it, and it leaves you alone! It's not hard, sugar!

Angthoron

Arcane
Heartwarden said:
So far you're fitting perfectly in place with this generation's 'it's-good-or-it's-shit' consolite mentality, tryhard. It's average. Does the job. Not splendid, not awful. Do you have any vitriol to spit at that while being cohesive or is that too hard

Um, by that logic, Uwe Boll makes films that aren't bad, Bethesda makes games that aren't shit and Volourn writes grammatical sentences that always make sense. You ought to run for the Ministry of Truth.

NWN2 camera is the worst camera ever encountered in a modern-day RPG. Hell, even in an older era RPG. I'll be hard-pressed to think of a worse camera frankly. Please help me out here, what games have worse cameras? Maybe stuff like Big Rigs and whatever.

The camera is spastic. If you want to see something in detail, sucks to be you - the camera will clip with some shit. If you want to keep it zoomed out, sucks to be you - the camera will forcefully zoom in because of some shit, positioning itself into the focal character's rectum and performing a rushed colonoscopy, wriggling and pounding all the way. It. Just. Sucks. Please, give some examples of worse cameras in games that ride coattails of AAA releases that are pure PC titles that came out within the last decade.

Azarkon

Arcane
Anyways...

Game is still in alpha alpha (protocol?) stages, so can't really say much about it. Art direction looks good, George Ziets is creative director, and there's some early buzz about Onyx being an awesome engine. That's about it, really. Need more details before judgment.

But I liked this part:

The other big talking point is plot -- Obsidian plans to bring its signature story style to the game with branching dialogue options and a deep relationship-building system with companion characters. There’'s no dating sim, but you'll laugh when you see that the icon interface for dialogue sections is actually a tree with glowing branches that point to different conversation choices.

Though I am worried about this part:

To keep the game true to its roots, Obsidian makes sure that Gas Powered’s Chris Taylor sees every milestone and has input on overarching decisions that play into the lore of Dungeon Siege.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
, but you'll laugh when you see that the icon interface for dialogue sections is actually a tree with glowing branches that point to different conversation choices.

OH I"LL SO LAUGH AT THIS HIGH QUALITY HUMOR

Cassidy

Arcane
Most probably Dungeon Shit 3. Also Chris Taylor should never have tried to do something beyond RTSes, he just sucked a lot at it but with enough commercial and marketing support it still worked commercially.

I was never interested in this franchise and I hope this sequel will bury it because it is completely forgetable and redundant.

Arem

Scholar
Angthoron said:
The camera is spastic. If you want to see something in detail, sucks to be you - the camera will clip with some shit. If you want to keep it zoomed out, sucks to be you - the camera will forcefully zoom in because of some shit, positioning itself into the focal character's rectum and performing a rushed colonoscopy, wriggling and pounding all the way. It. Just. Sucks.
You can always open up ingame console and activate the overland camera :roll:

Heartwarden

Educated
Angthoron said:
Um, by that logic, Uwe Boll makes films that aren't bad, Bethesda makes games that aren't shit and Volourn writes grammatical sentences that always make sense. You ought to run for the Ministry of Truth.
Well, there's the movies that are so bad they're hilarious. Bethesda (of this era) make decidedly average games with terrible writing and roleplay potential yet somehow work as hiking simulators and some allure in wandering around. Volourn is a shit typist. I said the camera was average. A-V-E-R-A-G-E. While I won't praise it, I don't see what it's getting so much flak over when.. it's basic?

The logic wasn't "Nothing can be bad!!" you nincompoop.

NWN2 camera is the worst camera ever encountered in a modern-day RPG. Hell, even in an older era RPG. I'll be hard-pressed to think of a worse camera frankly. Please help me out here, what games have worse cameras? Maybe stuff like Big Rigs and whatever.
Dragon-Age. Locked in to a small area around the PC and forcing a constant shifting of the perspective to do near anything that isn't immediately close to you.

The camera is spastic. If you want to see something in detail, sucks to be you - the camera will clip with some shit. If you want to keep it zoomed out, sucks to be you - the camera will forcefully zoom in because of some shit, positioning itself into the focal character's rectum and performing a rushed colonoscopy, wriggling and pounding all the way. It. Just. Sucks. Please, give some examples of worse cameras in games that ride coattails of AAA releases that are pure PC titles that came out within the last decade.
It'll snap in close to you if you shift it down to a behind-the-PC perspective with a building or a wall in the way, naturally, but it doesn't happen to an overhead view - so unless you're an absolute idiot trying to be fully zoomed out and seeing your character from behind a wall, it won't snap in. Exceptions are if you manage to worm in to a horribly awkward little spot that's near surrounded by walls/buildings, but then find me a camera that'll work well in such a cramped spot.

A free-rotating 360 camera, you have full control over it with exceptions only to bad area design that can go far overhead and hits limitations of no x-ray sight through walls, how are any of you having trouble with this? Save for going to first person, you can easily zoom in! Rotate! Funny angles! Normal angles!

I recall not liking the camera in The Witcher, hooking me in doors. Same for DA. Third person Oblivion / Fallout 3. They're far better than the similar choices in NwN2, easily, but NwN2's free-to-hand, overhead, at-your-control camera trumps that. It's just a shame it sticks to the PC.

Wait, what the hell am I doing anyway? I don't even like the game. Camera's shit! Boo!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
KalosKagathos said:
same here... neither the nwn2 nor the dragon age camera was noteworthy for me.

Cassidy

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
KalosKagathos said:
same here... neither the nwn2 nor the dragon age camera was noteworthy for me.

Someone once asked me about the flip-flops by certain Codex members that supposedly were mythological according to him. There are strong evidences of flip-flops in this thread.

Don't worry, this is normal.

Eventually, people who once praised it will start bashing AP too.

Eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom