Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying recommends Golden Land

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Golden Land; Russobit-M

<a href=http://www.worthplaying.com>Worthplaying</a> posted a very positive <a href=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=18458>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.goldenland-rpg.com>Golden Land</a>, a <s>turn-based</s> fantasy RPG that should be released in North America <s>soon</s> in October.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As for the world design, Goldenland is a big game. The developers prose between 100-120 hours of gameplay. I can easily see that as a realistic goal. I have been playing for about 22 hours now, and have only explored about a third of the world map! The quests become a bit more of the “run around talking to everyone until something pops up” sort of thing, but they are more explicit when it comes to what is actually expected of you. For example, at the outset, you are given a unique bracelet, which will allow you to pass through a magic gate. You are told where the gate is, and the second you leave your monastery it is stolen from you. You ask a burglar about it, he sends you to the local fence, who just sold it, now you have to find the new owner, etc… If you ever played an RPG you know exactly the kind of scavenger hunt style of game we are talking about. And you either really love that kind of game, or you loathe it with a passion. Personally, I’m having a hoot and a half.
<br>
<br>
Skills are handled with a system of recipes. For example, as your skill in blacksmithing increases, you can make weapons from things lying around. A simple wooden sword can be forged into a magical weapon if you have the right materials to combine. Alchemy skill will allow you to concoct potions and poisons, as well as the ability to charge staffs with magic. The higher your skills, the more stuff you can make from the weird items you take from your fallen foes.</blockquote>For some reasons I thought GL was turn-based. Worthplaying says it's not.
<br>
<br>
Edit: Apparently, it's not coming soon either. According to this <a href=http://forum1.burut.ru/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=1340&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1>post</a> at the official forums, October is a tentative release date.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Combat is handled, as mentioned, in real-time. A bar at the bottom of the screen shows the available number of action points you have available each turn. Magic, potions, items and the like can all alter this number, so keep an eye on it! Each action you would wish to perform requires the expenditure of a certain number of points.

Erh? Sounds like TB to me. :?

Jed

Cipher
From Strategy First's site:
Golden Land is a role-playing game with a vast world, an advanced character system, nonlinear plotline and turn-based combat. Multiplayer mode lets players cooperate against enemies, establish economic relations as well as fight against each other.

taks

Liturgist
originally, the translation was supposed to be done in february or march. apparently it took longer and they also had issues finding a publisher (which ended with SF). maybe the publisher forced a little bit of content change or maybe a better translation, hence the october date?

taks

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Trash said:
Combat is handled, as mentioned, in real-time. A bar at the bottom of the screen shows the available number of action points you have available each turn. Magic, potions, items and the like can all alter this number, so keep an eye on it! Each action you would wish to perform requires the expenditure of a certain number of points.

Erh? Sounds like TB to me. :?
Sounds like Fallout Tactics to me.

xJEDx said:
From Strategy First's site:
Golden Land is a role-playing game with a vast world, an advanced character system, nonlinear plotline and turn-based combat. Multiplayer mode lets players cooperate against enemies, establish economic relations as well as fight against each other.
It's the multiplayer part that confuses me. TB multiplayer game? Unlikely these days.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
It's the multiplayer part that confuses me. TB multiplayer game? Unlikely these days.

Apparently, our resident furry-supporter mouth-stuffing pansy ass troll oracle guy failed his prevision that turn-based wasn't teh futchor!!

Visbhume

Prophet
Hi. First time i post in this site. Just wanted to say that the reviewer is mistaken. Here in Spain the game was released about a month ago, and i can assure you that the combat is turn-based.

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
They got a lot more patience and smaller bandwidth in Eastern Europe.

Jed

Cipher
Visbhume said:
Hi. First time i post in this site. Just wanted to say that the reviewer is mistaken. Here in Spain the game was released about a month ago, and i can assure you that the combat is turn-based.
How's the rest of the game? Is it recommendable?

taks

Liturgist
inquiring minds want to know. it's hard to get a read on the russian release since their forums aren't directly translated on the english site. all i've heard is "it sold well in russia."

taks

taks

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
I remember seeing on this site that it was one of the top selling games in russia at the time.
i've seen that mentioned other places as well... of course, they may have all gotten their information from the same place.

taks

Visbhume

Prophet
I only have played the game for a couple of hours, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

The setting appears to be reminiscent of Arcanum: a world of fantasy with some technology thrown in. There are fire weapons, for example.

Some game mechanics are somewhat similar to Fallout and Arcanum, too. The character generation system is classless and uses a point buy system for atributes and skills. Aside from the usual fight- and magic-related skills, there is and "oratory" skill that gives you more options in dialogues, a "merchant" skill that cheapens the prices of items, a "steal" skill, etc... There aren't any stealth-related abilities, however.

Weapons in the game degrade with time. You can also combine some items to form others. There are recipes with the viable combinations spread through the game, but you are free to experiment.

I dont't know if you can have followers. I haven't encountered anyone so far that I could enlist.

The Spanish translation and manual are terrible, i hope the english ones will be better. It is difficult to know what some spells do in game terms. There is in-game help in form of tooltips, but sometimes they are as confusing as the manual.

The dialoge is totally inane and flavorless, maybe the translators's fault. The very few quests i have completed were mainly of the fed-ex type. Maybe it gets better later on.

taks

Liturgist
i agree, M_B. this is partly why i'm usually skeptical of translated games. they tend to lose something due to not only the language differences, but cultural as well.

taks

taks

Liturgist
yes, cultural. there are a lot of things that foreign cultures have in their language that don't have corresponding translations in english. humor for one, does not translate well across boundaries. references to icons or idols in one culture mean very little in another.

to assume that cultural differences don't exist is pretty blind there exitium... or disingenuous... ahem. :roll:

please.

taks

taks

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
hehe, i figured i'd get a rise out of somebody. :) the slavic translation seems toughest to do, maybe because their culture was so far removed from the west for so long? dunno...
taks

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Culture and language both. I only studied Russian for a few years, and would want a whole lot more experience before trying to formally translate Russian into English. English into Russian (or a Russian translating Russian to English) would be even more difficult.

I honestly think that any game translation should be done by native speakers of the language to which the game is being translated. Otherwise, the dialog just ends up sounding stiff and strange. It's easier for a German or Romance Langugae speaker to write natural-sounding English, because of the linguistic similarities. Take another step away (Russian has no articles, has cases, everything is gendered, words are put in a different order, different fricken' alphabet, etc. etc. etc.) and it gets really tough. Even if your normal written English is pretty good, translating character dialog is a whole different ball game.

Of course, if the translaters aren't that great or if the game company sends the translaters a bunch of text blocks minus order and context, you're going to get a poor translation no matter what.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
Cultural Differences: I recall reading on the official forum that there was concern that a number of very Russian jokes that might not be translated all that well. Since I don't know what the hell the Russian sense of humor consists of, no further comment.

At any rate, I'm mostly leaning towards "quite promising" on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom