Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Taylor Speaks @ NMA Fallout

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Chris Taylor; Fallout

Chris Taylor, the lead designer of Fallout and the writer of the excellent Fallout/Fallout 2 manuals has been <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7248">interviewed</a> at No Mutants Allowed in their Fallout Developers Profile feature. Here's an interesting snippet:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Were there things that you wished you had added to either Fallouts?</b>
<br>

<br>
Yeah, lots. Fallout 1 should have been about 50% larger, with a better endgame. I mostly wish about the things we could have changed and tweaked in the SPECIAL system. We didn't spend a lot of time on the system once we changed over from GURPS. Tim, Jess and myself cranked through the system pretty quickly (I remember one very intense week of scribbling on the whiteboard in Tim's office) and then we spent most of our time finishing up areas and getting the game done. I wish we had refined and cleaned up the system to remove things like non-useful skills, fixed the time puzzles/invasion events and fixed the combat system so it wasn't so Fragile Ninja-ish. I also wish we had done the game as a set of editors, NWN-style, but that would have been a much different project.</blockquote>
<br>
NWN-style editors? DISCUSS! Actually, those would have been great, but as Chris said, it would have been a much different project. If only Bioware knew how to separate their projects. I feel like Nero now, having allowed the Christian mobs to set fire to the forums.
<br>

<br>
Finally, here's a little snippet that'll be of interest to the lot of us, and especially Saint:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Any last word to the Fallout fan base?</b>
<br>

<br>
Keep doing what you're doing, fans definitely have an impact. And tell St. Proverbius to look me up, I think I owe him $20.</blockquote>

Whipporowill

Erudite
I guess he's talking about some sort of easily accessible editor here - on par with what NWN aimed at. Considering how much modding have been tried for FO it's not a weird thing to say, is it? At least he's not talking about FOOL... heh.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Spazmo said:
I'm sure that NWN editor thing is a plant to set us off.

At least it had better be.

Thast what I was thinking, it sounds like a joke. Did saint give him a lap dance or something?

ctaylor

Novice
Based on the number of mods, and how few actual Fallout titles, I look back in hindsight and wish that we had included a comprehensive editor suite. Something that people can use, along the lines of NWN, instead of Mapper and a set of programming tools to create scripts.

But it would have radically changed the game, and wasn't really practical given the situation.

pax,
-Chris "If wishes were horses, I would be riding by now..." Taylor

PS: Can I get the Black Label Games tag line changed, please? :) That hasn't been around for a while.

Seven

Erudite
If Chris is throwing out his avatar can have it, I don't mind going through other's refuse, nor do I mind sloppy seconds. :oops:

Rosh

Erudite
Blibo Bagginses: "Level 21 Hob Ringbearer LFG 4 volcano quest!" :D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ctaylor said:
Based on the number of mods, and how few actual Fallout titles, I look back in hindsight and wish that we had included a comprehensive editor suite. Something that people can use,
HAHAH! You reckon anyone short of a programmer (or at least programming knowledge) can do any sort of scripting? Even the NWN editors can only be used to plonk monsters down on maps unless you know some decent scripting to make things even remotely interesting. Arcanum is the same. Making a great map takes seconds with Arcanum's WorldEd (it's quite easy to build a decently designed town in about an hour or two) but making the scripts and dialogue take considerable time. It's the bane of the RPG. Even Arcanum's "easy to use" SockMonkey scriptmaker just ended up making scripting unnecessarily harder.

Fallout's map editor could've done with some serious work though.

ctaylor said:
along the lines of NWN, instead of Mapper and a set of programming tools to create scripts.
Be patient, damnit. Oddly enough, everyone who's wanted to mod Fallout has joined a team and started work on a big project, rather than just making a one map adventure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom