Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Annie Mitsoda's (nee Carlson's) Zombie Baby

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

<p style="text-align: left;">Annie Carlson, formerly of <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com/">Obsidian Entertainment</a> and currently of <a href="http://www.doublebearproductions.com/">DoubleBear Productions</a>, took some time out of her busy two-job schedule <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=207">to answer us some questions</a>. She speaks of DoubleBear, babies, Zombies:</p>
<p style="text-align: left;"> </p>
<p style="text-align: left; padding-left: 30px;">Can't go into details about our stage of development, but that focus question is a good one so I'ma address that. Functionally speaking, I'm going to say we have to get the combat working on a solid model, because it's tied into a lot of basic character creation skills. Also it's a common adage among designers that "if the combat sucks, your game is fucked," so we want to get the basics of that working well before we get the survival/management aspects ironed out. I'd say they're of equal importance, but perfecting the functionality of the combat I think is a little higher priority, but also easier to do at the early stages and will require fundamentally less polish and tweaking than the management aspects will.</p>
<p style="text-align: left;"> </p>
<p style="text-align: left;">... and turds:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">I recall being fantastically pissed-off at <span style="font-style: italic;">Dark Cloud</span> - not only because at the time I had no money for games and my computer would play basically nothing at all, but because you could get trapped in an attack combo that could break your weapon right in the middle of it. Since you didn't really gain levels but your weapon did, that meant you were suddenly fucked. Also you had to eat and drink, which was implemented particularly shittily. It's not that I can't handle food in an RPG, it was just really terrible in that game. It was poo topping on a crap sundae.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p><a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=207">Read the rest here</a>.</p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excellent interview. At least there is 1 Developer that isn't afraid to be interviewed by the codex. :salute:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
It's nice to here from a developer who is not afraid of criticizing other developers and their games, and even calling some of them shit and morons, I liked the shot at Peter Molyfaux. Annie is a true Codexer. :salute:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Long fucking Great interview!

I've always been a bit meh for ZRPG, but this definitely got me interested. The more I think of it, the more I want to play a "survival-management" type of game. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Great interview. We may not know a tremendous amount about ZRPG yet, but it seems like they're taking a lot of good philosophy into the design process. Hopefully it will play out nicely for everyone involved. Mitsoda's a lucky ol' bastard, even if he did have to live through Andrew. Jesus Christ, what a shitstorm.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm pretty sure she was born Annie VanderMeer*, not Annie Carlson. So née Carlson?

Oh well.

Good stuff!

*Dutch blood rules supreme.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh, snap!
36897_446882485599_652925599_6472659_6875602_n.jpg

Hey, we Dutch can't help it if we're naturally good at kicking people in the chest. Every day, I have to STRUGGLE with not kicking someone right in the solar plexus, propelling them across the room. The Spartans had nothing on us. - Annie VanderMeer

Shannow

Waster of Time
05b07d87f08809fd_zidane_narrowweb__300x375_2.jpg
The Dutch, the French... I as a German, can't fathom where all that agressiveness comes from.

Also:
Very entertaining questions.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elzair said:
So she was married before?

I think so yeah. She explained it to me when I met her and Brian for drinks in Seattle about a year ago, but we mostly talking gaming and conventions - as it should be - and my memories of it are a bit vague. I'm almost entirely sure she was born Annie VanderMeer tho, which makes the switch from VanderMeer Carlson to VanderMeer Mistoda make more sense too.

Y'know, they were together back then and engaged not too long after. I was always a bit disappointed you Codex stalkers completely missed that. I expect better from you lot. :love:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Zed said:
Luzur said:
Carlson is swedish.
Most swedes would spell it Karlsson.
Actually, Carlson isn't all that unusual. Eh.

Annie said:
I'd begun to seriously hate the devil hell out of Southern California, so it was time for me to leave
Heh, is it possible that their location is one of Obsidian's main problems? I mean, didn't Alexander Brandon leave because of this exact same reason? Or did I fail my remember check?

Anyway, cool review all around.

deuxhero

Arcane
Ai, thar be some inane taxes that addlecove state imposes to garnish voters to reelect their bowless hides.

Still don't understand what is so good about Shining Force 2. Bought the thing for 800 points of the virtual console and played up to the battle after the phoenix guy joins, wasn't that fun even though (because?) I love srpgs.

Cassidy

Arcane
Surviving the zombie apocalypse, day-to-day, finding enough food to feed yourself and your allies and trying to keep people sane and alive and maybe, just maybeattempting to build a tiny working society[...]keeping a shelter working.

Cleve's Bunker Simulator?

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
Not to mention besides being expensive, Southern california is riddled with earthquakes (More then up here "the bay area") Also, the heat. Yes why not. I'm sure water is expensive too.

And oh yeah. That interview sure made my day less boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom