Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The History of Fallout

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas

<p><a href="http://uk.retro.ign.com/articles/948/948937p1.html" target="_blank">Before you head to New Vegas, pack accordingly.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>The lesson taught by Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" is simple: you can't go home again. Once you've left the safety of your quiet, underground home, the things seen and done in the outside world change everything. Most of all, they change you.<br />Imagine, then, being forced from the only home you've ever known and staggering out into the red sunlight of a world burned by nuclear fire. Inside the vault, you were surrounded by the happy images of an optimistic society. That's all long gone. Humanity's final war reduced civilization to a wasteland of isolated outposts, bloodthirsty raiders and horrific mutation, and this is your home now. Basic survival is your priority. Food. Water. Shelter. Weapons. You must make your way through this changed Earth, learning as you go and maybe, hopefully, changing things a little for the better.<br /><br />But war? War never changes.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15365">RPGWatch</a></p>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I liked Fallout when it was just GTFO, find item, kill bad guy. Now it's all melodramatic and shit. Not sure if I like.

orao

Novice
Sorry but that's not at all what the allegory of the cave is about.
I can't abide this sort of rubbish.
I can't abide it.

:x

kanenas

Educated
According to the article...
1. Bards tale blew away teh gaming industry in 1984
2. Wasteland raked teh money in 1989
3. Feargus single-handedly diverted resources to fallout 1 to make it teh graet
4. I stopped reading in page 3
Regarded internally as something of a B-title, "V13" was passed off to a RPG-focused subdivision run by Feargus Urquhart. It wasn't long before the three project leads - producer/programmer Tim Cain, art director Leonard Boyarsky, and lead designer Chris Taylor - picked up a familiar Wasteland-ish vibe off their minor post-nuclear project. Urquhart shifted resources to it, more than doubling their eight-man team. Interplay let him, and then promptly forgot all about V13.Without any oversight from the home office, Urquhart let the project's scope expand at an exponential rate. He and Taylor both started at Interplay as part-time play-testers. Now they were re-igniting a legacy.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Sorry but that's not at all what the allegory of the cave is about.
What, did Plato tell you this? It's a valid interpretation. Not the most commonly accepted one, but who gives a fuck about that, really?

laclongquan

Arcane
Why the hell is life in the vault happy and shit?

Fallout 1? They are resource-scarce, oppressive little communities. Unless they got destroyed earlier.

Fallout 2? They are dying one by one, if not by Enclave attack, then by equipment failing right and left.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Regarded internally as something of a B-title, "V13" was passed off to a RPG-focused subdivision run by Feargus Urquhart. It wasn't long before the three project leads - producer/programmer Tim Cain, art director Leonard Boyarsky, and lead designer Chris Taylor - picked up a familiar Wasteland-ish vibe off their minor post-nuclear project. Urquhart shifted resources to it, more than doubling their eight-man team. Interplay let him, and then promptly forgot all about V13.Without any oversight from the home office, Urquhart let the project's scope expand at an exponential rate. He and Taylor both started at Interplay as part-time play-testers. Now they were re-igniting a legacy.

Hahahaha

Medic

Scholar
Patron
whatamireading.png

What the fuck?

Coyote

Arcane
But war? War never changes.

I swear, the way they try to force this phrase into every tidbit of information related to Fallout is getting to be meme-worthy.

"I was starting to do some laundry the other day and realized I needed quarters for the machine. But I didn't have any. So I had to walk down to the nearest corner market and ask them to make change for a dollar.

"But war? War never changes."

circ

Arcane
"She walked into my office, stinking of cheap perfume. Or was it expensive and I was merely drunk? I don't know. She looked like a knockout, or a bombshell. Yeah, I'd seen quite a few bombs in Europe in '45. War. War never changes. They were cracked like eggshells, sometimes you could make out the words the bomber crews left on them. "To Jerry, love Ted." "Here's a turkey for you Fritz." She took out a cigarette from her purse. I took out my Zippo and offered her a light. That Zippo kept me and my buddies from freezing to death in Europe, back in '45. War. War never changes. I felt sick, threw up a little in the sink as the dame started to mumble out her lifes story. Her dad was Herman Bumblemann, the toothpaste millionaire who had recently gone missing. We didn't have toothpaste back in '45. War. War never changes. I looked up to see her reflection in the mirror. This wasn't Betsy Bumblemann. This wasn't human. This was a servant of the old gods, sent by Cthulhu or its minions. Her face was suddenly full of holes, cavities all filled with razor sharp teeth. Her hands were like scissors made of flesh. Her cigarette was a small insect I'd never seen before, and she was sucking the marrow out of its hard, dead shell. Chulhu. Me and the boys had run into some hellish creatures back in '45, creatures summoned by those damned Nazis. War. War never changes."

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
"I was eating some tacos al pastor, but the sauce was so spicy that my eyes were all watered. But war? War never changes"

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
circ said:
"She walked into my office, stinking of cheap perfume. Or was it expensive and I was merely drunk? I don't know. She looked like a knockout, or a bombshell. Yeah, I'd seen quite a few bombs in Europe in '45. War. War never changes. They were cracked like eggshells, sometimes you could make out the words the bomber crews left on them. "To Jerry, love Ted." "Here's a turkey for you Fritz." She took out a cigarette from her purse. I took out my Zippo and offered her a light. That Zippo kept me and my buddies from freezing to death in Europe, back in '45. War. War never changes. I felt sick, threw up a little in the sink as the dame started to mumble out her lifes story. Her dad was Herman Bumblemann, the toothpaste millionaire who had recently gone missing. We didn't have toothpaste back in '45. War. War never changes. I looked up to see her reflection in the mirror. This wasn't Betsy Bumblemann. This wasn't human. This was a servant of the old gods, sent by Cthulhu or its minions. Her face was suddenly full of holes, cavities all filled with razor sharp teeth. Her hands were like scissors made of flesh. Her cigarette was a small insect I'd never seen before, and she was sucking the marrow out of its hard, dead shell. Chulhu. Me and the boys had run into some hellish creatures back in '45, creatures summoned by those damned Nazis. War. War never changes."

whatamin.png

Phelot

Arcane
"It's 7:00AM. Shit. I was suppose to be up at 6, but last night things changed as usual. Another drunken fuck with a woman I don't recall. Welcome to the story of my life: always changing, but war. War never changes."

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"But war?" Obama said, his voice sombre. "War never changes."

Cassidy

Arcane
The more I learn about this game, the more certain I become on the fact it is not worth even for not removing from an inventory. Obsidian will, considering their past, most likely manage to create an even more horrendous gameplay than the original Oblivion with Guns gameplay, and story and C&C? Would an authorized sequel/spin-off to Twilight written by a arguably better author be better just because of it when all the base material for it is shit?

circ

Arcane
Seriously. You think because Chris Parker was it? Talks some gamer talk about numbers it's not going to be a shitty buggy shooter with LOLLERCOPTER space lazurz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom