Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Did BioWare dumb down Dragon Age ?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>IGN <a href="http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108058p1.html" target="_blank">take a preview</a> at the DA 2 combat system.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>2. The combat is being refined.</strong> <br /> The combat in Dragon Age Origins was very tactical, allowing you to issue orders to the folks in your party. For the sequel, BioWare is aiming to keep that tactical aspect but also make it more action packed, if players wish it to be. Today we got a taste of the new combat system with a mountaintop battle against an army of orcs. They might have been imps or goblins or demons, actually. We're not nerdy enough to know the difference. <br /> <br /> Different attacks are mapped to the X, Y, and B buttons of your controller (we were playing on an Xbox 360). Hawk, the hero of the game, had a typical sword swipe mapped to X, a thrust mapped to Y, and a twirl that would take down all the enemies around him mapped to B. By holding the right trigger you can access a second set of attacks, so it seems you'll have six moves available to you at a time. Each move has a recharge time, so you can't just keep mashing the X button to chop through enemies.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>No, you have to mash X,Y and B to chop thru enemies. That's called tactical depth.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Jaedar is to blame for this one.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Looks like DA2 will be what ME2 was to ME1. I could probably just buy the PC version which Bioware have promised to be more "tactical", but I'll probably just get the console version if DA2 is as boring and packed to the roof full of trash mobs as origins.

Deleted Member 10432

Thread title is in the wrong tense and far too narrowly focussed.

It should read:

Is BioWare continually dumbing down?

Chateaubryan

Cipher
You skipped the best :

We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.

Suchy

Arcane
Chateaubryan said:
You skipped the best :

We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.
oh lol fuck

:smug:

Lingwe

Liturgist
We also got to see the new conversation system.

Bioware did that with the first Mass Effect. Where's the innovation? Come on Bioware, you're falling behind.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Wow... with every article about this game I like it less....

Also: Author is stupid.

Today we got a taste of the new combat system with a mountaintop battle against an army of orcs. They might have been imps or goblins or demons, actually. We're not nerdy enough to know the difference.

Really??? I mean... REALLY??? One of the most popular fantasy RPGs gets a sequel. And IGN sends some XBAWKS-HALO-rox0r, who obviously didn't even play the fucking first game. How can he report about the changes and improvments IF HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HE IS TALKING ABOUT?

Are gaming-magazines really so stupid?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

Nevertheless the dialogues will be praised to heaven, figures.

Achilles

Arcane
'Tis true that, compared to games such as your new favorite Oblivion, combat in Dragon Age could be considered tactical.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Chateaubryan said:
You skipped the best :

What the FUCK. This is worse than even ME.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lingwe said:
We also got to see the new conversation system.

Bioware did that with the first Mass Effect. Where's the innovation? Come on Bioware, you're falling behind.

Yeah but they didn't have hieroglyphs for the illiterate and colorblind consoletards to know what each dialogue option means. This is dumbing down for the dumbing down!

Radisshu

Prophet
WHY does the gaming media always fall for "Well, we're going to EAT the cake... BUT WE'RE ALSO GOING TO KEEP IT!"

Quilty

Magister
"They might have been imps or goblins or demons, actually. We're not nerdy enough to know the difference. "

Nice going there, "journalists". Insult your fucking audience in order to suck up to the casual gamers.

Bioware really do their best to earn our :x

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It is a dumbing down competition, and Bioware has just taken the lead. It is up to Obsidian to take the next step and invent a new dialogue system, with two options: a smiling face for the good option and a frowning face for the evil option. Molyneux will probably skip that step and go directly for the sole "smiling face" dialogue option in his game.

Quilty

Magister
janjetina said:
It is a dumbing down competition, and Bioware has just taken the lead. It is up to Obsidian to take the next step and invent a new dialogue system, with two options: a smiling face for the good option and a frowning face for the evil option. Molyneux will probably skip that step and go directly for the sole "smiling face" dialogue option in his game.

Dude, you're hurting him.

No wait, you're f***ing hurting him.

kris

Arcane
janjetina said:

Or farting ass.

dumbanddumber1.jpg

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never really considered ME to be and RPG in the first place, and I really thought the changes in ME2 were a good thing - the game was more fun, pure and simple, even though they gutted what little RPG mechanics remained.

This is just hilarious though. The so-called spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 is being reduced to a shitty action game with a dialog wheel. I won't even bother not removing it from inventory.

This is the new Bioware, folks. Only a matter of time before they're gone forever.

M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Looks like DA2 will be what ME2 was to ME1. I could probably just buy the PC version which Bioware have promised to be more "tactical", but I'll probably just get the console version if DA2 is as boring and packed to the roof full of trash mobs as origins.

This is why they keep making this shit you fuckin retard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom