Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Did BioWare dumb down Dragon Age ?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
remember that combat is supposed to be completely different for lolbox & pcs.

also, the "journalist" here is a fucking moron. are the standard that low nowadays?

They might have been imps or goblins or demons, actually. We're not nerdy enough to know the difference.

No. You must be cool.

396406-corey-worthington.jpg

Antihero

Liturgist
I thought they were overhauling the combat only on the console versions. CBA to find the thread saying that right now, though.

Chateaubryan said:
You skipped the best :

We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.
So much for subtlety. Then again, even if you do get different responses to each choice as they claim you do since ME2, half the time it probably still won't make an overall difference except flavour text.

ChristofferC

Magister
They should remove dialog options altogether. They break the flow and immersion of the cinematic experience. Also, reading is boring.

Silellak

Cipher
Antihero said:
I thought they were overhauling the combat only on the console versions. CBA to find the thread saying that right now, though.
Yeah, it was mentioned in the Game Informer article that was posted. Combat in the PC version is staying pretty much the same, which isn't a bad thing, because the fundamentals of the combat system were fine - it was the encounter design that was lacking.
Another change - and this might be the biggest - is that only the
PC version will retain Origins' "strategic combat". The console
versions will feature a new combat system, one BioWare says plays to
the strength of the control pad. "Rather than try to mimic the PC
experience on consoles", the GI report states, "Dragon Age II has a
battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360."

Not only that, but Bioware mentioned in a podcast that one of the thing they want to improve is the encounter design.
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1H2Fk-tooxKl-DL7FaEx_gvaAdUTpc26VZQHsyrK6llw

I'm not saying the game is going to be great, but there is some good news out there as well as bad.

ChristofferC

Magister
I think he actually does know the difference. He just wants to collect konsole kiddie kool kredits by pretending not to know.

janjetina said:
It is a dumbing down competition, and Bioware has just taken the lead. It is up to Obsidian to take the next step and invent a new dialogue system, with two options: a smiling face for the good option and a frowning face for the evil option. Molyneux will probably skip that step and go directly for the sole "smiling face" dialogue option in his game.
And all will be controlled by playstation move/xbox kinect/wiimote

Mortmal

Arcane
Mass effect with swords and a 20 hours campaign, i suppose it will follow the same exact pattern of finding companions then you launch the final missionto kil some archfiend .
Last article ive read in a serious gaming magazine (canard pc) was about free facebooks game taking over normal gaming , the future is farmville, logically we should see a dragon age or mass effect social game next , they make millions and cost nothing to develop , EA wont just skip that.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Who cares about the RPG elements? DA is good because of its story and depth. And DA2 will improve even further because it will allow for an incestuous relationship with your sister!

For me RPGs are about having sex with as many characters as possible while out in the field, and DA delivers this in the right dosages.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Chateaubryan said:
You skipped the best :
We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.
Oh fuck. I actually thought you were joking and had to go look it up in the article.

This is the kind of thing that worked in Sam & Max Hit the Road. You know, a comedy adventure game.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They're not making games for us anymore, if they ever did. There's no reason to be surprised by anything Bioware does anymore.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
racofer said:
Who cares about the RPG elements? DA is good because of its story and depth. And DA2 will improve even further because it will allow for an incestuous relationship with your sister!
Gaider specifically mentioned we would not be able to do that :M The man knows his audience :M

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaedar said:
racofer said:
Gaider specifically mentioned we would not be able to do that :M The man knows his audience :M

derp herp MODS durrr!!

aries202

Erudite
Oh, come on now. It isn't that difficult to guess which responses are nice, and which respones are nasty and which responses are badass in Dragon Age: Origins. On the other hand, I thought Bioware didn't do moral choices and moral meters anymore; seems they're trying to bring them back via the dialogue system. Or maybe, reading really is 'teh hard' for young people today. (and here I'm not couting on people with Asperger's or ADHD).

MetalCraze

Arcane
DA III will come out by the end of next year relax. They still have DA 4 and 5 to make before "5 years with EA" will run out and Riccitiello will thankfully kill them off.

Turjan

Arcane
ChristofferC said:
I think he actually does know the difference. He just wants to collect konsole kiddie kool kredits by pretending not to know.
The most benevolent interpretation would be that they are ridiculing Bioware's choice to rename their LOTR orcs to something else, but pretend ignorance. Not that I think that's likely.

AnalogKid

Scholar
mondblut said:
Why is this in RPG news?
This is a very good point. I know it'd be a slow place around here if there weren't postings about ME2, DA2, and AP, but we're helping fuck up any conceivable definition of "RPG" by posting news items (not just general discussion threads) about this crap.

Have we finally just thrown in the towel and admitted that NO-ONE is making RPGs anymore? Or should we rename this to the "fantasy and post-apoc setting codex"?

Malachi

Liturgist
You know, this kind of reminds me of one of the first things I posted in this forum. I said that there was room for a KOTOR sequel to be even dumber, in that they could have Fable-like quest trails on the ground: red trail for Dark Side, blue trail for Light Side.

The disturbing part is that *I was joking*, and here we have proof that there are individuals in the game publishing business who think this way in all seriousness.

EDIT:
Ruprekt said:
Self containted stories
I think you've unintentionally (and hilariously) hit upon the quality of future Dragon Age sequels...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"This is a very good point. I know it'd be a slow place around here if there weren't postings about ME2, DA2, and AP, but we're helping fuck up any conceivable definition of "RPG" by posting news items (not just general discussion threads) about this crap. "

They're RPGs. You can argue if they're bad or good rpgs, but theya re rpgs. Just like FO, MW, DTU, GBG, and a host of other games are rpgs. Qiuality has nothing to do what genre a game is.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Chateaubryan said:
You skipped the best :

It is the best

Only it's not true
We put up to 5 choice options and 5 investigate options per dialog node. There is also a difference between choices (where you are actually deciding something) and giving you the opportunity to express yourself in different ways (which I think is quite cool, but not something I believe we have released any details on yet).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom