Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas - Bugs, Gambling, & Random Murder

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>A few gaming news outlets were given an hour to screw around with <strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong>.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.gamespot.com/events/quakecon2010/story.html?sid=6273403&amp;pid=959559" target="_blank">Gamespot</a> (OMG spoilers!)</p>
<blockquote>All of a sudden, the bodyguard stopped us, claiming that something didn't seem right, and ordered us to follow him into a sharp detour that led to four menacing thugs. The bodyguard pulled out his sidearm and shots were fired at the thugs until they went down. We then spoke with him and, thanks to our character's above-average intelligence score, were able to point out that he gunned down four thugs with only three shots. The bodyguard dodged the question and we decided to drop the issue rather than risk blowing our cover, and followed him the rest of the way. At this point, our quest journal updated itself, directing us to report back to The King with our findings. After a quick run back to that area, which involved sitting through another loading screen transition, we reported that the shyster was running a scam with phony assailants and were rewarded with a wad of cash and a new quest--to find out why a band of travelers were assaulted at Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort Historic Park the other night.</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180855" target="_blank">1UP</a></p>
<blockquote>I decided to interact with the nearby jukebox to see what was available (even though the interaction text was outlined in red), and in doing so scared the girl and turned all of the Kings against me. That wasn't supposed to happen; but it did, and in doing so I was able to try out the game's shooting mechanics, which have improved considerably. The best way to describe it is that it seems like the weapons have more weight, which made the whole experience feel much more like an honest first-person shooter. VATS (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) however remained the same: cycling through body parts followed up with a slow motion cinematic kill. Again, going for the limbs is still the most sure-fire way to quickly eliminate an enemy. Eventually I escaped after killing a number of the gang members, decreasing my overall reputation in the city.</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1112189p1.html" target="_blank">IGN</a></p>
<blockquote>I killed most of the members I could find of each of these factions, save for the Kings. They were a bit too powerful for my meager firepower. At first, I was just killing for the fun of it. Obsidian stacked my character with ammunition and weapons (though my stats were too low level to use most of them effectively). Boxing gloves were my personal favorite tool of slaughter, backed in a close second by the machete. Running around in a pinstripe suit with a cowboy hat and boxing gloves is just plain funny.</blockquote>

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Bugs, Gambling, & Random Murder

Jason said:
IGN
killed most of the members I could find of each of these factions, save for the Kings. They were a bit too powerful for my meager firepower. At first, I was just killing for the fun of it. Obsidian stacked my character with ammunition and weapons (though my stats were too low level to use most of them effectively). Boxing gloves were my personal favorite tool of slaughter, backed in a close second by the machete. Running around in a pinstripe suit with a cowboy hat and boxing gloves is just plain funny.
IGN really stands for "i got nuthin" these days

SoupNazi

Boxing gloves were my personal favorite tool of slaughter, backed in a close second by the machete. Running around in a pinstripe suit with a cowboy hat and boxing gloves is just plain funny.

is this what games are about now? :decline:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
SoupNazi said:
Boxing gloves were my personal favorite tool of slaughter, backed in a close second by the machete. Running around in a pinstripe suit with a cowboy hat and boxing gloves is just plain funny.

is this what games are about now? :decline:

Where have you been this last decade? Ever since the Sims, dressing up your character is now the number one selling point for (Bethesda) 'RPG's!

Kthan75 said:
StrangeCase said:
thanks to our character's above-average intelligence score, were able to point out that he gunned down four thugs with only three shots.

*sigh*

Hmm, seems exactly like the 'incredible' insight high intelligence got you with Three Dog. Does this mean that Obsidian have declined to Beth's level in storytelling too? This was about the only reason I was going to pirate NV for!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
commie said:
Where have you been this last decade? Ever since the Sims, dressing up your character is now the number one selling point for (Bethesda) 'RPG's!

Now, if only the character clothing was as awesum as in other games... like Rage of Mages 2 :smug:

rom2419.jpg

entertainer

Arbiter
Sounds like FONV is going to be as hard on my PS3 as Fo3 was, and that's not a good thing.
My PS3 hung up badly and froze a couple of times to the point where I had to flip the switch in the back.
Fallout is alot of fun, but it's not worth risking the life of my PS3 for. I'll sit this one out until I hear more on how hard this game crashes, post-release

Fallout New Vegas is going to be Fn awesome.. GOTY!!! XBOX 360 my system FTW!!!!

If the game gets a rating of 8.5 or less, Im not going to be happy and Osidian should be left in the gutter to rot! Im just worried that Bethesda have left Obsidian to do there own thing on a few gudlines Bethesda set out.

im still skeptical about this game simply because obsidian is making it. they are the worst developers ever and i dont care if people who worked on fallout 1 and 2 are working on new vegas. i mean... has ANYONE here even played those?
love the last one :lol:

dragonfk

Erudite
entertainer said:
Sounds like FONV is going to be as hard on my PS3 as Fo3 was, and that's not a good thing.
My PS3 hung up badly and froze a couple of times to the point where I had to flip the switch in the back.
Fallout is alot of fun, but it's not worth risking the life of my PS3 for. I'll sit this one out until I hear more on how hard this game crashes, post-release

Fallout New Vegas is going to be Fn awesome.. GOTY!!! XBOX 360 my system FTW!!!!

If the game gets a rating of 8.5 or less, Im not going to be happy and Osidian should be left in the gutter to rot! Im just worried that Bethesda have left Obsidian to do there own thing on a few gudlines Bethesda set out.

im still skeptical about this game simply because obsidian is making it. they are the worst developers ever and i dont care if people who worked on fallout 1 and 2 are working on new vegas. i mean... has ANYONE here even played those?
love the last one :lol:

Children. Children never change.

StrangeCase

Educated
Children. Children never change.

[Intelligence] Don't you mean that children's susceptibility to mass-marketing techniques promoting shallow, instant-gratification entertainment never changes? So you're saying children have always been this way?

No, really. In FO3, we used Intelligence to repeat things back to NPCs. In FO: NV, we use Intelligence to determine that 3 < 4. Delightful!

Lingwe

Liturgist
The best way to describe it is that it seems like the weapons have more weight, which made the whole experience feel much more like an honest first-person shooter.

What does that mean? I mean really, can anyone actually tell me how 'the weapons have more weight' equates with 'feeling more like an FPS'. Is that 'writer' just spewing shit or am really missing something here?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lingwe said:
The best way to describe it is that it seems like the weapons have more weight, which made the whole experience feel much more like an honest first-person shooter.

What does that mean? I mean really, can anyone actually tell me how 'the weapons have more weight' equates with 'feeling more like an FPS'. Is that 'writer' just spewing shit or am really missing something here?

Maybe he means that weapons have different recoil based on size and weight of a weapon.

CrimHead

Scholar
thanks to our character's above-average intelligence score, were able to point out that he gunned down four thugs with only three shots.

gg_pete-hines_02.jpg

Suck it down, rpgcodex.

th_crazy_galsses_top_jd.jpg

SUCK IT DOWN

Virtz

Educated
1UP said:
Searching for these targets illustrated one of the main issues I had with Fallout 3, and that was its GPS system. It's pretty much the same mess as it was before, not giving you any help in regards to the direction you need to travel to seek out your intended target. Still just a green overlay showing your location. I get that since things like this would remain the same to some degree, but giving the player an updated Pip-Boy model, especially one with a better map system, would have been a nice touch.
Wow. He managed to miss the quest compass in Fallout 3?

Dionysus

Scholar
Lingwe said:

Yeah, that's the sort of nonsense that I see all the time on messageboards. In my experience, it either means that the guy liked the sound effects, or it doesn't really mean anything at all.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Does someone know if Pete can smile without looking like his mom was hit by a truck in the 9th month?
I mean, Jesus Christ, he should by this time learned to fucking close his second asshole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom