Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Epic Preview Bonanza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>More previews regarding the best Elder Scrolls mod ever, Fallout: New Vegas, surfaced and who am I to deprive you of this valuable info?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The guy writing for Kotaku <a href="http://kotaku.com/5610615/my-first-30-minutes-with-fallout-new-vegas" target="_blank">describes his very first time</a> - or his first 30 minutes to be precise - of F:NV goodness:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>A producer who is working on the game with development studio Obsidian Entertainment told me I would be free very early in this game. As soon as I stepped outside of the game's few-minute profiling section I could go anywhere I wanted across the New Vegas landscape. This Fallout sequel is less linear than its predecessor, the developer told me. We gamers are expected to wander it and can pursue one of four main paths, allying ourselves with the factions of the game's violent Vegas-area West. We can take the path of the California Republic or of Caesar's Legion or one that has us side with the people of the vibrant New Vegas either with or without its leader, the charismatic Mr. House. There are about 2200 speaking characters to encounter in this game, the producer said, and all but one of them can be killed &mdash; and will stay dead &mdash; if you choose to be such a brute.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Awesome. A game that's non-linear with little railroading.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-13-fallout-new-vegas-hands-on" target="_blank">Eurogamer figured that</a>: <em>One day, somebody is going to make a game where humanity climbs into the bunker.</em></p>
<p>No, we're still talking F:NV. Cleve wasn't even mentioned.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There are some changes, of course - character customisation now has the double-edged Traits, like Four-eyes, which increases your acuity when you have your specs on but reduces it significantly when you don't - but even some of these are cosmetic. Character creation is less of a labour than in Fallout 3's Vault 101 - a product of a few barked questions and a Rorschach test - but the results are familiar, and it turns out the ability to adjust your character's age with a slider has no tangible ramifications beyond appearance.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Traits that are cosmetic. Cute.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61733/fallout-new-vegas/articles/71780/Preview-Fallout-New-Vegass-Opening-Hour/" target="_blank">G4TV wants more</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Then over the horizon, I see it: A huge roller coaster rising into the sky -- the defunct ride welcomes me to Primm, Nevada. Like many of the real-life locations represented in <em>Fallout: new Vegas,</em> Primm exists in our world, but unlike real life, <em>New Vegas'</em>s Primm is surrounded by burned out buildings and razor wire fences, and the city is populated with escaped convicts. They had been members of the Powder Clan.</p>
<p>"Awesome," I think. "I stole a powder gang outfit when I offed those two gang members on the way over.&nbsp; I'll just slip this on, and waltz into town."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Awesome. Like, you know, awesome. And stuffies and whatnot.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Joystiq thought that F:NV was <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/13/preview-fallout-new-vegas/" target="_blank">just more of the same</a>, but apparently they've been wrong:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There are a few other additions as well -- perks are back, along with "traits," which are returning to the series after being absent in Fallout 3. They're special abilities that come with a price -- "Good Natured" will boost your social skills at the cost of some attack damage, and "Wild Wasteland" will create some "interesting" encounters, both good and bad. Traits are optional, but they seem like they could both add some variety to the game, and make for some excellent replay value. Radio stations are back, but I only heard Mr. New Vegas playing some swingin' tunes for the desert denizens.<br /><br />I couldn't tell you specifically why, but VATS feels better -- it feels smoother and easier to use. In the first title, I often found myself just playing in real-time, but in New Vegas, I much more instinctively pulled up the VATS system, both for the great camera views and to help me set up my shots. I used the new VATS against a faction called the "Powder Gangers," chucking dynamite and decapitating them with laser pistols in slow motion.</p>
</blockquote>
<div style="overflow: hidden; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"><br /></div>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99193-fallout-new-vegas-previews.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
and "Wild Wasteland" will create some "interesting" encounters, both good and bad.

Heh could be interesting; hopefully they'll have more of those instead of just +stat1, -skill2 ones.

Looks like they'll be altering some of the existing ones as well:

What is known is that Small Frame will provide a bonus to Agility, at the expense of making your limbs easier to break.

Of course in vanilla FO3 I barely noticed when my limbs (rarely) broke, but in FWE it could really fuck you up. Hopefully the hardcore mode in NV has severe penalties for when your limbs break, too.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There are about 2200 speaking characters to encounter in this game
Wow this is even more than the amount of endings in the Failout 3!

Traits that are cosmetic. Cute.
Obsidian are the original creators of Fallout, haven't you heard? Obviously they know better how to make a proper RPG

I couldn't tell you specifically why, but VATS feels better -- it feels smoother and easier to use. In the first title, I often found myself just playing in real-time, but in New Vegas, I much more instinctively pulled up the VATS system, both for the great camera views and to help me set up my shots. I used the new VATS against a faction called the "Powder Gangers," chucking dynamite and decapitating them with laser pistols in slow motion.
So suddenly in Failout 3 it's bad, but in Failout 3 New Vegas it's improved and is totally better. I forgot when was the last time we had a bad game.

Basically it's just Failout 3 meets New Reno 2, except looks like it's even more retarded. I so wish this piece of shit tanked.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Did age have an impact in FO1? It was never something I messed around with.

ironyuri

Ruprekt said:
orao said:
I remain optimistic

same

I'm with you guys.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 for a couple of hours after which the lack of a workable storyline coupled with the at times frustrating gameplay mechanics made it a chore.

I'm hoping that New Vegas, a) has a story to carry the game when the gameplay falters. b) has gameplay to carry the game if the story falters. Barring either I'll probably finish the game and then never touch it again. (much like I did with Dragon Age)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Melcar said:
Too much optimism in this thread. It's revolting.

Bethesda does Failout 3 - OMG Beth sucks, they are turning Fallout into a dumb shooter!1 I'm so cool and edgy
Obsidian does the exactly same Failout 3 - Wow guys this game is gonna b awsum, I'm cool just like you guys

Cassidy

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Melcar said:
Too much optimism in this thread. It's revolting.

Bethesda does Failout 3 - OMG Beth sucks, they are turning Fallout into a dumb shooter!1 I'm so cool and edgy
Obsidian does the exactly same Failout 3 - Wow guys this game is gonna b awsum, I'm cool just like you guys

Largest Obsidian base of fanboys outside of Obsidian official forums, what would you expect?

Considering Obsidian's history in making inane clones of shitty games that end having even worse gameplay, I have no doubts about their capabiltiy of making this become worse than the original in such regards, and because such a retarded canon rape is beyond repair, turning it into an at least average FPS could have been the only saving grace, but with Obsidian, now chances are it'll be an even worse game, gameplay-wise, while retaining the same retarded plot elements and watered down "C&C" of the original. Or better, interactive cutscenes with minigames.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:

how many times have you made this post?

OuterSpace

Scholar
I couldn't tell you specifically why, but VATS feels better -- it feels smoother and easier to use... chucking dynamite and decapitating them with laser pistols in slow motion.

Didn't they say that the slow motion kill cam only happens when you kill the last enemy in the area?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom