Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>GameSpot had <a href="http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6273910/dragon-age-ii-updated-hands-on/" target="_blank">some hands-on time</a> with DA2 at the GamesCom.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Aside from gaining a more accurate picture of how combat works in Dragon Age II--think quicker and less clunky than the original, but far from Dragon Age: Turbo Mode--we learned a few things about the game&rsquo;s character-building elements. The one that intrigued us the most is the way the tone of conversations will become affected by the style of character you play as. Essentially, if you&rsquo;re playing as a pure bastion of light and goodness, your character will tend to sound very genuine. But if you&rsquo;re playing as a real salty scoundrel, for example, choosing the polite dialogue options will often result in your character saying the nice thing with a hint of sarcasm because it&rsquo;s not really something that fits with the character you&rsquo;ve built thus far. You can still choose whatever dialogue options you want, but the way you actually sound during those options will be affected by decisions made far earlier in the game. We&rsquo;re not sure whether that applies to everything you say or just a few select sound bites, but this nonetheless seems like an intriguing way for BioWare to repurpose Mass Effect&rsquo;s conversation wheel in Dragon Age and still add a new touch to it.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A crossbreed between Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect dialogue wheels is exactly what Dragon Age II needs to become the best RPG since Dragon Age.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Additionally you can watch Mike Leadlaw, lead designer at BioWare, <a href="http://gamescom.gamespot.com/video/6273798/" target="_blank">talking about Dragon Age 2</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99291-dragon-age-ii-preview-and-video-interview.html">GB</a></p>

hakuroshi

Augur
To be honest - I like the idea in theory. But the question is: will it affect only the tone of your soundfile or reaction of NPCs too. AND if that NPC's reaction will have any relevance to gameplay.

The one that intrigued us the most is the way the tone of conversations will become affected by the style of character you play as. Essentially, if you’re playing as a pure bastion of light and goodness, your character will tend to sound very genuine. But if you’re playing as a real salty scoundrel, for example, choosing the polite dialogue options will often result in your character saying the nice thing with a hint of sarcasm because it’s not really something that fits with the character you’ve built thus far.
Colour me reluctantly perked up. The rest of DA2's consoletardation notwithstanding.
But then, it's BioWare, so I'm awaiting for this bit of PR to be clarified to the point of complete streamline and innovation.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sagus said:
The one that intrigued us the most is the way the tone of conversations will become affected by the style of character you play as. Essentially, if you’re playing as a pure bastion of light and goodness, your character will tend to sound very genuine. But if you’re playing as a real salty scoundrel, for example, choosing the polite dialogue options will often result in your character saying the nice thing with a hint of sarcasm because it’s not really something that fits with the character you’ve built thus far.
Colour me reluctantly perked up.
fag

ChristofferC

Magister
hakuroshi said:
To be honest - I like the idea in theory. But the question is: will it affect only the tone of your soundfile or reaction of NPCs too. AND if that NPC's reaction will have any relevance to gameplay.
You already know the answer to that...

Silellak

Cipher
hakuroshi said:
Does it really need to? Obviously the more C&C impacts gameplay, the better, but it seems a bit extreme to hope something as minute as an NPC voice changing to match your character's voice changing would also have an impact on gameplay somehow. Games are finite things with finite resources.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Yeah, and Dragon Age 3 is gonna be the best RPG since Dragon Age 2.

They have to come up with something, at least since it's pretty difficult to imagine and reads things for the average gamer. I mean, if you had to read the dialogues you could at least imagine how your character would have sounded. But everything has to be voice acted now, if the main character now must have double lines that means less resources for the rest of the small cast.

RaXz said:
I mean, if you had to read the dialogues you could at least imagine how your character would have sounded.
Thing is, they'd never bothered for it to make a difference. Whatever it was, your character had meant it pretty much literally. And really, how difficult would it have been to add similar lines of PC's dialogue, but with a choice of attitude to them in brackets and different results (at least, statistical ones, if not additional VO NPC replies)? It's not like it'd be redundant LARPing flavour text they're so otherwise fond of.
Point being, if they'd believed their target demographic would appreciate the effort, they'd have done it. But they know whatever they hype their audience will lap up anyway, so why go extra mile and make the players' brains hurt with options? Even before the 'cinematic experience' with voice-overs for every trash can.
Still, if they'd cut on useless mobs and put the time into branching dialogues in DA2... nnaah, who am I kidding: "Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience".

'we're going the way of the audience' - sounds logical at first, but it's typical of the marketing blindness (in terms of market reach, not advertising) that's restricting the industry. In a truly competitive and quality industry, a major player like Bioware would look at those numbers and say 'hey, we're ALREADY managing to sell to that audience. They'd buy a Mass Effect expansion pack, or a sequel made along similar lines. The PC market is barely tapped, yet we're missing it - we need a product, a new one if necessary, that will get those customers on board.'

They'd be better off with different franchises targetting different crowds - increase production of regular Mass Effect sequels (or add another franchise with mostly the same gameplay elements) if they want to increase console sales.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Bitcher said:
Well, there's always hope you wont live long enough Oh yes, we ALL will surely do it someday.
It's official now: DA2 is my reason to survive today's procedure. I will fondly think about it throughout my surgery and pull all of my strength into this one goal.

racofer

Thread Incliner
bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bl071.png

HERO3.jpg

bhhm51.gif
1264sbt.gif

Fucking Bioware, instead of improving on the first one they take 3 steps back and make Mass Effect with swords.

:x

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fucking Bioware, instead of improving on the first one they take 3 steps back and make Mass Effect with swords. "

According to the Codex, that's an improvement since according to the Codex ME2 > DA.

R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Mas Effect 2 was an Action Game. moran."

Action RPG. And, the Codex thinks its better than DA. PLus, don't people cry about how ME series is a FPS? LMFAO

Achilles

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Mas Effect 2 was an Action Game. moran.

Still, Volourn's point stands. Many people consider ME 2 worth playing and DA not worth playing, which is :decline: of biblical proportions. Even if someone thought that DA was mediocre, it was still a RPG.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Alexandros said:
Jaesun said:
Mas Effect 2 was an Action Game. moran.

Still, Volourn's point stands. Many people consider ME 2 worth playing and DA not worth playing, which is :decline: of biblical proportions. Even if someone thought that DA was mediocre, it was still a RPG.

Eh, that's a bit odd...

I like Civilization a fucking great deal more than I like Neverwinter Nights. Is that decline :?

DA was a huge letdown that didn't hold up to what was promised. ME2 surprised in some areas.

DA had so much boring filler I consistently stopped playing. ME2 managed to entertain me most of the time.

Hence I like ME2 more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom