Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SS: Sentinels coming to PC near you on Sep 4

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Nival Interactive; Silent Storm: Sentinels

What the title says. According to <a href=http://www.jowood.com>JoWood</a> <a href=http://www.nival.com/eng/sa_info.html>Silent Storm: Sentinels</a> should be released on Sep 4, 2004 in NA and Europe (except for Spain for probably localization reasons)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

EvoG

Erudite
The demo is also available, which merely showcases the economy ( battle field scavenging is now frutiful ) and merc hiring. Nazi's also 'emote' now in their little red icons, such as smoking, shocked or aggressive. Same gameplay otherwise, at least from what I could see.

CHeeRS

Nightjed

Liturgist
any idea if they improved anything since the demo ?

it had a few issues like the new icons not showing while the soldiers were outside the screen

Greenskin13

Erudite
My new filing system is unstopable.

Well, I marked my calendar. I don't like to do any purchasing online, so I'll probably buy it boxed from a store.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Seeing as the Silent Storm team tried so hard to emulate the stuff that made JA2 so cool..... why didn't they lump the whole Panzerklein nonsense into an optional "sci-fi" mode?

I can't be the only person who was seriously enjoying the meaty WW2 firefight vibe, only to be confronted by this lame lasers'n'powerarmour shite. Had they put the PK thing in as an optional bonus for re-playability then I'd have been impressed. Instead, we had characters with little choice in several missions but to don these fast-as-Fallout-rats PK's and suffer the consequences.

Cheers
MC

EvoG

Erudite
Nival apparently did listen to the vast complaints aimed at the PK's, and has lessened their focus in the addon. They're taking this a new direction with the more merc based gameplay, saving whatever new stuff for the true sequel.

Cheers

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
That's encouraging. I don't like knocking devs that listen.

I like the engine and the gameplay...I just don't understand how the whole PK plot thing, and resulting impact on gameplay snuck under the radar.

Shit, shooting up buildings with heavy machineguns and antitank weapons was enough fun to be gettin' on with!

Cheers
MC

Greenskin13

Erudite
I'm still waiting for word on suppressive fire in SS:Sentinels. I know I would purposely start shooting next to a green enemy if I could see him fidget and freak out under fire.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Monte Carlo said:
I can't be the only person who was seriously enjoying the meaty WW2 firefight vibe, only to be confronted by this lame lasers'n'powerarmour shite.

I found it acceptable, even if not the best idea ever. What i am surprised with is how they decided to try and make a WW2-themed game in a market that's fairly saturated with the concept. I wonder how successful the game would have been if it was a campy sci-fi tactical combat game.

Nightjed

Liturgist
i hated the pks, they forced you to "cheat" with laser weapons or die, maybe if stealth worked better against pk users.

the last time i played ss i got a mission against 5 pks in a small room the first time i met them, there were no laser or empty pks for me to use, i had to snipe them though a small hole until i managed to steal one, really really anoying

Stark

Liturgist
EvoG said:
The demo is also available, which merely showcases the economy ( battle field scavenging is now frutiful ) and merc hiring. Nazi's also 'emote' now in their little red icons, such as smoking, shocked or aggressive. Same gameplay otherwise, at least from what I could see.

CHeeRS

just a quicky. do the mercs exhibit more personality now?

I still have not completed the original. i find it lacking in some way. I'm thinking maybe it's the lack personality of the party members that do not endear me to them in anyway.

Nightjed

Liturgist
they are exactly the same, by the emotes he doesnt mean personality, they are quick info about the enemy soldiers (as in, they are distracted, they have spoted you, they are looking for something, etc)

Stark

Liturgist
thanks. in which case i think i'll skip this add-on then. as good as the combat is, the lack of story (there is a story there somwhere but the way it's implemented makes it hard to follow. most of the time I'm not sure why i'm doing some of the missions and which earlier mission led to that one) and lack of party member personality makes it hard for me to buy it.

Anonymous

You know you can make a mod that removes the sci-fi stuff?

One exsists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom