Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian to develop NWN 2

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

According to <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/04/news_6104090.html" target=_blank>this piece</a> over at <a href="http://www.gamespot.com" target=_blank>Gamespot</a>, Obsidian Entertainment are the ones developing the sequel to Bioware's Neverwinter Nights. Here's some nibblets from Feargus "Particle Effects" Urquheart amongst others:
<br>
<blockquote>In a statement, Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart expressed his gratitude at taking over the venerated franchise. “BioWare and Atari created an immense community of players attracted by both the immersion of an interactive gaming experience and the ability to create their own pen-and-paper styled modules. Neverwinter Nights changed the very nature of role-playing games,” he said. Atari executive producer John Hight was also excited, saying, “Feargus and his team at Obsidian Entertainment are the best people on the planet to take up where BioWare left off and bring this great game to new level."</blockquote>
<br>
On a related note - the Obsidian message boards were recently down for maintenance. Hardly a coincidence I'd say, considering the certain influx of about half the Biowarian fanboys. Enjoy!
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>butsomuch</b> for pointing it out in our forums.

errorcode

Liturgist
wow, talk about striking oil for Obsidian. Their first 2 titles will be pretty much be instant best sellers just based off of the franchise name. This should garner Obsidian plenty of revenue to start work on there own projects.

Wow, they're keeping the Aurora engine? That thing was dated when it came out.

I dunno, doesn't really seem like a terrible thing to me. I always pretty much expected Feargus would be more into Bioware-style games. So congrats on your latest "slam dunk". :lol:

suibhne

Erudite
errorcode said:
wow, talk about striking oil for Obsidian. Their first 2 titles will be pretty much be instant best sellers just based off of the franchise name. This should garner Obsidian plenty of revenue to start work on there own projects.

I think they would have done better with the BG3 franchise - which now goes to ... whom?

But yes, this is almost certain to be a hit on some level, so they could have done a whole hell of a lot worse.

My mind still boggles at the mere idea of a NWN2. What is its purpose? If it involves developing a more robust, more extensible, more accessible toolset, then it's a major project, as in "several years of development time" major. If it merely ends up being a story-driven campaign, then what's to differentiate it from, say, BG3 now that the Child of Bhaal narrative is over?

Whipporowill

Erudite
If they add stuff like physics, mounts, swimming and climbing - I can see a reason for upgrading it. Otherwise it'll just be a new graphical overhaul - as well as a port to consoles, I'm sure.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Shevek said:
Does this mean Troika has BG3?

No, it means nothing. Although - it certainly seems more likely now. I had CDProject penned for NWN2 (as a dark horse considering the graphics they've managed with Aurora) and Obsidian for BG3. But now... who else could even produce a real rpg? Any dev house we might have forgotten here? Heh.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I wouldn't say they're necessarily keeping the Aurora Engine... all the article said was that Bioware would contribute the Aurora Toolset to the project. Doesn't mean it's going to be used as more than reference material, as part of the "creative consluting".

If they do use the Aurora Engine, I'll be that much less interested in playing.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
But now... who else could even produce a real rpg? Any dev house we might have forgotten here? Heh.

Following the acquisition of the reknowned Fallout franchise, Bethesda, after negotiations with Bioware and their janitors, is planning on developing the sequel to acclaimed, commercial success, angsty elf extravaganza, D&D munchkinization, revitalizer of all that is a PC title, Baldur's Gate.

But fear not, it won't be 'Morrowind with elves'! .... oh, wait..

taks

Liturgist
isn't the KotOR engine an offshoot of the aurora anyway? hopefully it will at least be updated... massively.

taks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If Obsidian is smart they'll keep what worked with NWN and its expansions and fix what didn't. Heck, even BIO managed to fix the more obvious foolishness found in the OC.

And, oh, Elf, I think it's safe to assume that it's the Aurora Engine that will be used. That's pretty much a no brainer espciially with the release date scheduled for 2006.

I cna't wait. I just hope that even with a possible graphics update that it remains compatible with NWN1. I mean, if so, imagine all the feats, skills, spells, and wepaons one will be able to choose. Impresisve indeed.

Plus, the story should be better than the OC and SOU. I'm hoping for HOTU quality but longer of course. :cool:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Obsidian's new byline - "Sequels R us". And I'm actually pretty sure they'll do both games better than the original. I'd be more MEH if Bio was responsible for the games - at least the Obsidian gang has some kind of edgieness.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
BIo should just buy out Obsidian and make them their sequel division. That's pretty much what theya re. LOL

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I actually wouldn't mind it as much if Bio was doing NWN2. They released one crapfest, they can release another. It wouldn't be a surprise or a disappointment. Obsidian on the other hand, that's a company that has talent. It's just a shame to see them waste it on producing sequels to overhyped crapfests.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Good point. I wonder if the folks at Bioware already tasted Feargie's coffee? That should be more of a reason to hire the whole lot into their offices. Mebbe Feargus will lose some extra weight by running around serving coffees to both companies.

taks

Liturgist
Shevek said:
Does this mean Troika has BG3?
at least, does this mean we might get a BG3 announcement... TODAY?

i don't have a problem with obsidian doing a couple sequels out of the box. as noted, it will help their bottom line since they have some automatic sales immediately. nothing wrong with that from a startup company.

taks

Nightjed

Liturgist
oh god ... "venerated franchise", "changed the very nature of role-playing games", "Feargus and his team at Obsidian Entertainment are the best people on the planet..."

is it just me or do those lines make anyone else want to go postal ?

edit: they will probably buff up the old aurora engine a bit and raise the level cap to 9999

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Nightjed said:
oh god ... "venerated franchise", "changed the very nature of role-playing games", "Feargus and his team at Obsidian Entertainment are the best people on the planet..."

is it just me or do those lines make anyone else want to go postal ?

No. More like puke my guts up.

Jed

Cipher
And Volurn whining about whining, lies, & TEH RUMOURZ! as usual...

EDIT: Look at those post times!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
O M G :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom