Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview GameSpot Q&A With Feargus Urquhart

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

With one of the best interviews to date, GameSpot <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/11/news_6104565.html">queries</a> Obsidian frontman and CEO Feargus Urquhart on the subjects of Neverwinter Nights II, KOTOR II, Bethesda's Fallout 3, and Van Buren. Here are some talkie points:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
GS: What direction do you think they will take it in? Some people have expressed concerns that it will be "Morrowind with mutants."
<br>
<br>
FU: Not having talked with anyone from Bethesda, that would be my assumption. I actually think playing a game like that in the Fallout world would be fun. Would it be Fallout 3? No. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be a viable game.
<br>
<br>
GS: Did you wish that it had ended up with some of the original Fallout team? Word is Troika made a bid for it.
<br>
<br>
FU: I think it would be fun to play an actual Fallout 3 that is in the same vein as the first two games. It's possible that only members from the original team would make that kind of game. </blockquote>
<br>
It's like god's own truth.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the tip, <b>Briosafreak</b>.

Stark

Liturgist
yeah. my thoughts too. it's surprisingly frank. Feargus could have just said the usual politically correct yet meaningless answers when commenting on BethSoft and FO3.

also, am glad that NWN2 will have a proper single player game now. it seems they're putting quite abit of effort into that. I'm those who buy games just solely for the single player. I've never gotten into all the NWN mods by the community. never found one that's really good.

Surlent

Liturgist
OMG SLAM DUNKIE FEARGIE GOES ON OVERKILL AND SHOOTS IT ALL OUT 111 LOL

Now that Obsidian has two good projects on the way Feargus can sit back in his cozy chair and relax, telling the Bethesda to f*uck off.

He even said Obsidian's third ( or fourth ) project will be original IP. Yeees about time.

GO FEARGIE GO 111 :lol:

plin

Liturgist
hah, and people over at NMA getting pissy and saying "fuck you ferg" for saying:

"GS: What was your reaction to hearing that the Fallout license was picked up by Bethesda?

FU: Good Luck! That's probably somewhat horrible to say, but I think the team at Bethesda has their work cut out for them. This is mostly because there is almost nothing that they can do that will make the Fallout fans happy."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Feargus is just mad because we've made him the butt of a few jokes over the years.

Well, okay.. The majority of the jokes over the years.

dunduks

Liturgist
BWahahaha, take that Beth, lets see if they can weasel out of this, although most likely it will be "Its too early to tell, blah blah, dont worry, blah blah" if there will be any response at all.

DemonKing

Arcane
plin said:
FU: Good Luck! That's probably somewhat horrible to say, but I think the team at Bethesda has their work cut out for them. This is mostly because there is almost nothing that they can do that will make the Fallout fans happy."

This is my thoughts exactly - the FO licence is just a loadstone around a developer's neck now rather than a boon. Even if the Lord God Cain himself were to develop it, the "community" would still be bitching and moaning about every little thing that wasn't exactly in line with their own individual concepts of what FO3 should be.

Astromarine

Erudite
is that like, the second good interview from Feargus in a row? Geez, at this rate pretty soon we'll all be NWN2 Fanbois :) I know I will probably buy it already, despite my dislike of the first one being enough to prevent me from buying Kotor.

Taoreich

Liturgist
GS: While KOTOR II and NWN are top-of-the-line franchises, does it bother you that Obsidian isn't developing an original IP like Fallout?

Are they asking about the development of a new post-apocalyptic IP in the same vein as FO, or are they saying that FO is not a "top-of-the-line" franchise?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Taoreich said:
GS: While KOTOR II and NWN are top-of-the-line franchises, does it bother you that Obsidian isn't developing an original IP like Fallout?

Are they asking about the development of a new post-apocalyptic IP in the same vein as FO, or are they saying that FO is not a "top-of-the-line" franchise?

Nah, I think they're just wondering how Feargie feels about inhering stuff from older brother rather than getting your own brand new shit. I don't see anything in there saying Fallout is less worth that the others - more "while you don't have a reason to complain about your current situation - would you rather?".

Shevek

Arcane
I think its great he is being so frank. Maybe hearing stuff like this from a developer rather than a fanbase will add wieght to some of our gripes.

Jed

Cipher
Feargut just earned a few more points from me. I'm glad to see a little gutsy honesty leaking from the seams. Maybe Obsidian will be a house to watch.

plin said:
hah, and people over at NMA getting pissy and saying "fuck you ferg" for saying:

"GS: What was your reaction to hearing that the Fallout license was picked up by Bethesda?

Feargus is right, though. It doesn't matter who makes Fallout 3, the extant fanbase will bitch and moan and moan and bitch.

This is mainly because the (vocal/stereotypical) Fallout fanbase (read: NMA and a chunk of this place) isn't dedicated to Fallout at all. They're dedicated to bitching.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
odds are, something you ignorantly hate on, is probably pretty good. why? because this is the codex.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
mr. lamat said:
odds are, something you ignorantly hate on, is probably pretty good. why? because this is the codex.

I assume your fantasies about Rosh aren't cutting it anymore and you need to let out the accumulated sexual tension? :)

plin

Liturgist
undead dolphin hacker said:
plin said:

Feargus is right, though. It doesn't matter who makes Fallout 3, the extant fanbase will bitch and moan and moan and bitch.

This is mainly because the (vocal/stereotypical) Fallout fanbase (read: NMA and a chunk of this place) isn't dedicated to Fallout at all. They're dedicated to bitching.

heh, exactly. And they love using the excuse of "Well, they need to understand that we've been tortured since fallout 2 waiting for another true sequel, we've been fucked over too many times to name, things like that can make a fan pissed off and be on their virtual period".

When, I for one have been waiting just as much, but I am not rabid, I don't get pissy with developers. I don't whine about being fucked over. I'm not a pessimistic little jackass complaining about everything that happens.

So whatever, it seems fallout fans (read: NMA and -some- here) are stupid. Rosh is the prime example.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
I assume your fantasies about Rosh aren't cutting it anymore and you need to let out the accumulated sexual tension?

a fanboi who prattles on about his deep involvement in the fallout series and meaningful discussions with devs, needs to be a refered to as a small, filipino ladyboi who blows sailors. it's simply the universe correcting itself.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
mr. lamat said:
would you prefer i get all beddoes and beat off to a picture of tim cain?

But this isn't about me, mr. lamat. Let's talk about you. Would you prefer beating it off to a picture of Tim Cain? You can be honest with us :D

All in good fun, though. These jabs aren't meant to be taken seriously :) While i agree with you that some fans are histrionic and hyperbolic, i think its somewhat unfair to imply some people here are ignorantly hating something, such as Van Buren. Personally i think some aspects of it were interesting, while others weren't.

To each his own, though.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
no, but i'm sure beddoes does.

the ignorant hating of things is just so constant. i hate games with pos twenty year-old graphics, like anything from spiderweb, because i feel it's lazy and ripoff of your consumers. it's a personal preference. i said it once and that's that. how many threads are there regarding the assured 'suckiness' fallout3 by bethesda?

it's just so boring.

Human Shield

Augur
What is wrong with some of you people. The Fallout fanbase aren't unpleasable. If a company kept the setting correct, and gameplay as good as the first one, most would be behind it. Beth doesn't even know what they were going to do with the title besides call it Fallout 3 even if it is really another spin-off.

What is wrong with some of you that are happy with companies making obvious mistakes. Poor design in gameplay, setting research, etc... is what causes poor games to be made. Comic fans bitched about Catwoman for many the same reasons as Fallout fans did FO:POS, both were loaded with obvious stupid moves and showed a great lack of respect towards the creators.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
And what's wrong with bitching around? Do you expect "I luve u Bezda" stuff coming out? Since invention of democracy and creation of any kind BBForums, bitching is constant and essential part of any virtual community. Such as NMA or Codex itself. I know very little forums/comunities that are big enough to mention, but still are polite to each other and stick to argument when reply-ing to threads...its kinda humans' nature to bitch in virtual conversations...its like killing, while playing Doom - you cannot go without that.

Fallout "fans" of course are lil' different. They are SPECIAL, ya know. I dunno why, but such are all Fallout fans, even those that have never heard of NMA or Codex, but post on their local-forums. My only explanation is that they have seen the TRUTH and now its been taken away from them. Great game is whored all around and they can do nuthin' about that. Except for bitching. Its nice way to protect yourself, to fight with those goddamned bastards, that buried FO3 - allready a myth - in their dirty nasty lil' affaires. Fallouts fan-base is a crowd of intelligent people that have seen how good cRPGs can be and now they realise its all over, their happy kingdom of post-nuclearity is invaded by evil Empire of Darkness that keeps inventing new and new ways of torturing Fallout fans. NMA and Codex just leads the main revolutionary movement, fighting for one and only noble purpose - to kill the Dragon Evil Darklord himself (kinda Herve) and find the HolyGrale..Granade - Fallout3.

The main problem is that Empire and HolyGrale have become something mythical, but fans - paranoical. After so many treacheries they dont believe in anyone, after so much years of torments their dream of what they have lost has become allready something mystic and unreal - the HolyGrale or FO3 if they ever will find it - will never reach their expectations, because they have waited for it too long and the way was too difficult.

Thats the sad reality.

My opinion, however, is somehow different. VanBuren would be ok. Even as Fallouts sequel. It would be different because other people would make it, but still, it would be worthy of its ancestor, the ...erm... FalloutDweller. But still it would be ok. Would it reach expectations? Nope. Never. Nothing could satisfy some of the falloutists. Fallout3 from Bethesda? Oh, God, its DISASTER [like FOPOS, Tactics and MMORPG wouldnt]. But I guess, if the fellas try - the Bethesda fellas, I mean - they could deliver bearable game in post-apocaliptic world. Would it reach expectations? Its stupid to even ask. Nope. Its is not FO3 and will never be. The true FO3 is a legend, a myth, a word spoken to wind and forgotten... then it means that all whining is worth nothing? Hell, no!

Bethesda would never make even a tolerable post-nuclear cRPG if there werent true BITCHING Fallout-fans that can eat the hair and skin from the heads of developers. Only BITCHING can reach the darkest corners of bethesdian minds and make themunderstand that it is no shit to play with such a license. Only BITCHING can give a birth to overall immagine of worthy Fallout title. It will never be Fallout3, but hell, the BITCHING could help us get rid of those stupid morrowind style dialogs that are even no real dialogues! Only BITCHING can bring the light on the whole thing and attract the eyes of other portals/vortals/magazines. Only BITCHING can save the day! [ I mean, nuke the day]

Why BITCHING but not polite argumentation? First of all, the BITCHING I have seen from Fallout fans is, actually, polite/reasonable argumentation/dispute. Second, only if you scream the shit out of ya' you can be heard. None would ever care of maintaining Fallouts values if there werent BITCHY Fallout Fans that represent them selves. Otherwise all the game industry would go towards shallow cRPG experience with no ambitions at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom