Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 8 Things in Fallout: New Vegas to Make BIS Proud

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>IGN thinks that <a href="http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1131020p1.html" target="_blank"><em>New Vegas is the Fallout game that the fans have been waiting for</em></a>.</p>
<p>Here are two samples:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Drinking out of toilet bowls</strong><br /><br />Pretty much everything about Hardcore mode recalls Black Isle's Fallout games: the way your companions die, leaving you all alone out there in the wastes; the way a crippled limb or radiation poisoning can lead to a slow and inevitable death; the way everything in the entire wasteland, from the wildlife to the water, is trying to murder you. But there's nothing that depresses us quite so much as lapping irradiated liquid from a toilet bowl to stave off death by dehydration.</p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p><strong>Real Deathclaws</strong><br /><br />In Fallout 1 or 2, when you ran across a hulking Deathclaw, you scampered off the isometric battle grid just as fast as your Action Points would let you, and usually not before it killed you in one swipe. In Fallout New Vegas, they're just as tough. Pretty much nothing less than a nuke will stop one, no matter what your level or how many bullets you pour into them.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100277-8-things-about-fallout-new-vegas-that-would-make-bis-proud.html">GB</a></p>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Deep in the mountains, up a trail miles away from anywhere else and in a well-protected enclosure, is the lair of an insane super-mutant called Tabitha who likes to wear wigs and 50s-style glasses, and is engaged in a romantic relationship with her service robot. There's a ghoul mechanic kept prisoner up there whose notes detail another super-mutant's rage at his inability to fix his tiny toy car.

Yes. Feargus and Avellone can really be proud about achieving new levels of retardation.

Actually according to IGN that's humour.
Supermutants turned from original ubermenschen into retarded children with big muscles - yeah Obsidian really treated FO's setting well

MisterStone

Arcane
I don't remember Deathclaws being super-impossible to kill. I had one moderately low level character get a lucky hit in once, punch the fucker in the eyes with his spiked brass knuckles, and proceed to (slowly) beat this shit out of it while it was down. Of course, that was just a single deathclaw...

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Deep in the mountains, up a trail miles away from anywhere else and in a well-protected enclosure, is the lair of an insane super-mutant called Tabitha who likes to wear wigs and 50s-style glasses, and is engaged in a romantic relationship with her service robot. There's a ghoul mechanic kept prisoner up there whose notes detail another super-mutant's rage at his inability to fix his tiny toy car.

Yes. Feargus and Avellone can really be proud about achieving new levels of retardation.

Actually according to IGN that's humour.
Supermutants turned from original ubermenschen into retarded children with big muscles - yeah Obsidian really treated FO's setting well
Tabitha is a nightkin, not just a Super Mutant. If the "FO setting" is oh-so important to you, you'd already know why this is an important distinction, especially when it comes to Tabitha's sanity.

You also missed this from that same article:
True to the first two games, Super Mutants are now more than mindless enemies.
Which is true. And you'd know it was true, if you'd actually play the fucking game.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Given the amount of static clean water sources, purified water bottles and sinks in nearly every bathroom there's no real reason to drink from an irradiated toilet unless you're into that.

On very hard solo I found deathclaws still fairly easy to kill provided you first opened up with a sneak attack crit to the head, keep firing at them and they die before they get to me, with companions it's a joke.

Currently going on a second playthrough on hardcore, very hard, no companions, sell nothing, steal nothing, hoping that the game becomes more balanced combat and economy wise.

Silellak

Cipher
hoochimama said:
On very hard solo I found deathclaws still fairly easy to kill provided you first opened up with a sneak attack crit to the head, keep firing at them and they die before they get to me, with companions it's a joke.
The trick with deathclaws is that you basically have to be sneaky, or more than one will notice you and you'll basically be dead, companions or no. At least, that's what I've found, even on normal/hardcore difficulty.

Clearing out Quarry Junction was actually one of my favorite combat-oriented parts so far...sneaking around trying to get clear headshots at the deathclaws with my gauss rifle so I could quickly take one out before the others noticed.

Drakron

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

Are Two-Headed Bear Men shooting at you and Battle Cattle mooing? BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

... You know, maybe one day you should ... just saying ... PLAY THE FUCKING GAME!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
hoochimama said:
Given the amount of static clean water sources, purified water bottles and sinks in nearly every bathroom there's no real reason to drink from an irradiated toilet unless you're into that.

Either I am very unlucky or then we're playing a different game. Nearly all static water sources I've found so far are radiated. I've 2-3 spare purified water bottles, tops.

Then again radiation doesn't feel that dangerous, so it is not a big deal if you get a bit of radiation from food/water.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
You know, just to point out...

The Super Mutants who weren't uncontaminated by the Wasteland when they were dipped were described as being intellectually small children :smug:

And again, play the goddamn game before bitching.

Drakron

Arcane
Haba said:
Either I am very unlucky or then we're playing a different game. Nearly all static water sources I've found so far are radiated. I've 2-3 spare purified water bottles, tops.

Goodsprings is clean and so is Lake Mead, unlike FO3 were getting rads was a question of time you can avoid radiation in FONV

Then again radiation doesn't feel that dangerous, so it is not a big deal if you get a bit of radiation from food/water.

Never was, the only real dangers are stats penalties due to poisoning, lethal poisoning due to be in a irradiated area (The Glow) and potential addiction to Rad-Away.

Silellak said:
hoochimama said:
The trick with deathclaws is that you basically have to be sneaky, or more than one will notice you and you'll basically be dead, companions or no. At least, that's what I've found, even on normal/hardcore difficulty.

Clearing out Quarry Junction was actually one of my favorite combat-oriented parts so far...sneaking around trying to get clear headshots at the deathclaws with my gauss rifle so I could quickly take one out before the others noticed.

The game would definitely be more balanced if sneak criticals were just normal criticals and NPC health/DT was lowered to compensate. The DT system massively favours sneak criticals to the point where they do 3x more damage then regular criticals and 10x more damage then normal hits.

Haba said:
hoochimama said:

If you want to abuse fast travel you can just go back to Goodsprings for the pure water there. But yeah, you find a Radaway in something like 50% of medicine cabinets which appear everywhere. I've never worried about radiation from eating/drinking, you might get up to the first stage of RAD penalties after like 2 weeks of eating and drinking, then pop 1 RadAway. Hardly much of a challenge. Radaway and Stimpacks should cost a lot more and be rarer. In FO 1/2 I got the feeling that the stimpacks were rare pre-war tech that took an entire lab to duplicate and their cost reflected that. In FO 3/NV they are about as expensive as lunch is since apparently any level 1 jackass can make them with household materials :roll:

1eyedking

Erudite
Skyway can't distinguish the good amongst the bad. If a game's got a glaring flaw, it's all fucking shit.

I don't think that's necessarily bad, though, he's just more unforgiving. He judges games as games, as a whole.

Just don't expect him to notice any difference between a game's art direction and another's. The guy's right brain hemisphere was damaged beyond repair.

Tails

Arbiter
Silellak said:
Tabitha is a nightkin, not just a Super Mutant. If the "FO setting" is oh-so important to you, you'd already know why this is an important distinction, especially when it comes to Tabitha's sanity.
It's still rather Fallout 2 humour level of silliness, heh.

Black

Arcane
Things to make BIS proud and they don't mention Vault 11?
FOR SHAME![/Rhonda]

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Poor skyway's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Damned if he does, damned is he doesn't.

of course it's a situation easily avoided by not being a rancid cock in the first place.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah because if I will play the game Tabitha will suddenly become not retarded and there will be no notes about supermutant upset about his toy car. And no retarded space suits. And no companions giving bonuses in a retarded way. Just as there won't be quest-compass, enemy radar, crappy excuse for "stats" and shitty shitty shooter instead of a game.

Fucking hypocritical Obsidian fanboi

Deleted Member 10432

Drakron said:
Are Two-Headed Bear Men shooting at you and Battle Cattle mooing? BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Leave the fear behind!

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Yeah because if I will play the game Tabitha will suddenly become not retarded and there will be no notes about supermutant upset about his toy car. And no retarded space suits. And no companions giving bonuses in a retarded way. Just as there won't be quest-compass, enemy radar, crappy excuse for "stats" and shitty shitty shooter instead of a game.

Super mutants are HUMANS TOO!.

i just know back in the day you loved NWN2.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
New fagass is a step in the right direction as far as I can see, can't say it's better than FO 1/2.

Radisshu

Prophet
MetalCraze said:

Nightkin = Stealth Boy addicted schizophrenics

Other super mutants = Not Stealth Boy addicted schizophrenics

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gotta love the comments section on IGN with it's idiot console gamers who have never played Fallout 1 and 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom